friends and how to help them

Options
I am happy to say I am building up a nice list of friends. Like me they want to lose weight. Sometimes I see they are being 'naughty' with their calorie intake. As an MFP friend is it my duty to reprimand them ? Does it help only having friends who are there to congratulate but not to scold ?

Replies

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    its a friend list - not a parent list. If they ask for advice -then be honest. If they ask you to hold them accountable then do. But I would not make unsolicited comments about someone's food intake.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell someone where they could have done better. But I think part of the support here that is actually helpful is being told the truth. The trick is to find a way to tell someone they can do better without resulting to outright shaming or berating them which could be discouraging. Every situation is different. But most people asking for friends say they want accountability.

If I had a friend who was consistently going over and making light of it I would probably loose them. It goes both ways. I want to see other people trying succeeding in order to boost my own resolve to keep going on those tough days. OTOH I also want to be an inspiration for the as well.

I think telling someone they can and should do better tomorrow, in a kind way is more helpful than patting them on the back and telling them that it is okay that they ate that entire bag of chips.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Only if they say something like "I just don't understand why I'm not losing".
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The phrase "none of your beeswax" comes to mind here.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should ask your friends, instead of all of MFP. They are best qualified to tell you how much support they are looking for.

I'm not here for support, but I added some friends because they always seemed to know where the most entertaining posts were. Now, MFP doesn't send a notification to their wall when they post, and I can't find the fun threads, anyway.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I am happy to say I am building up a nice list of friends. Like me they want to lose weight. Sometimes I see they are being 'naughty' with their calorie intake. As an MFP friend is it my duty to reprimand them ? Does it help only having friends who are there to congratulate but not to scold ?

If one of my mfp friends started nagging about my food choices because they thought I was being "naughty" (everyone has different goals so they may not have the same definition of "naughty") they would very quickly be removed from my friend list.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    its a friend list - not a parent list. If they ask for advice -then be honest. If they ask you to hold them accountable then do. But I would not make unsolicited comments about someone's food intake.
    this behavior right here is why some people close their diaries.

Only comment on a friend's eating if they ask for it or if you want to tell them something they ate looked yummy.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Eww. No. Just....no.

Not your place, not your job. If they ask for advice, or are saying that they're doing everything right (when they're clearly not) and don't understand why they're not losing, then sure. Otherwise....no.

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If one of my mfp friends started nagging about my food choices because they thought I was being "naughty" (everyone has different goals so they may not have the same definition of "naughty") they would very quickly be removed from my friend list.

Agree - people have very different life situations and goals on here. I did delete a friend after the only 2 comments she ever made were both rather judgmental, one unsolicited and the other just rude. We were at different places though. She was 20 years younger and had lost a lot of weight - though she was still larger than me. She had to be very regimented. I did not have that much to take off and mostly wanted a healthier life - which to me does include eating things that your 11 year old daughter makes with her grandmother - even if you go over. You can make it up later - but you never get that opportunity back again. We were just in different places.
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it depends how well you know this friend. I don't know a lot of people who respond well to negative reinforcement. But ask them if they want your opinion. Personally, I would immediately unfriend any MFP friend--or person in real life for that matter--who thought it was appropriate to "scold" me. And anyone who would judge me better make sure their glass house is squeaky clean before throwing that scolding rock.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My guess is that each person's friend list is different. I've hidden friends that are annoying.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So much no. I am a grown woman I don't need anyone to scold me over my food choices. Are you also going to interrogate your entire friends list to be sure they are being completely honest and accurate? I mean, what if they're being "naughty" but not logging it?

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Naughty...reprimand...scold...

If I was one of the friends on your list...I would wonder! I hope they don't read this thread.

This is one of the reasons why this time around...I don't "do" friends...well that and I am a terrible friend...I just don't have time to go through someone's food diary and make judgment calls. I am too busy trying to figure out my own.

Wow...scold??? Reprimand??? We are adults that can make our own choices. Even if they asked you what you thought about their food intake...what makes you think that you have the right to "scold" or "reprimand"?
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything to people I don't know personally. I have friends here who are real life friends and I would nag them to log/stop eating ice cream/remind them they didn't log that glass of wine they had earlier etc but only because I know them really well. Random people I've spoken to a few times online? Not a chance!
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would hate someone looking at my intake and "reprimanding" me. I beat myself up enough when i go over my calories. I don't need my "friends" commenting on it to. If I haven't logged in a few days I don't mind people reminding me they are here and that i should come back and log. But if i am logging then i am quite aware that i am over my calories.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Umm no... Most of us have already had to deal with comments about our weight and health over the years. If someone is here and committed to logging, why add something negative to it? I had two friends comment on my diary in a bad way, and honestly its stuck with me and it really affected me for a month or so. I dont even know why i let it get to me, but it did. And ve been really successful at losing weight at a healthy rate so why someone feels the need to say something ill never know.
    I think of mfp's as people to celebrate the good things and milestones with, as well as a resource for questions, motivating, and just in general being there for eachother.

Now if someone happens to complain theyre not losing, AND asks for advice, then maybe say something.

Is your diary perfect? Would you want people commenting on the choices you make? Plus, what may be "good or bad" in your mind might work just great for someone else. Heck, maybe its a planned cheat day even.

But i think its better you chose to ask here before saying anything.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't critique my friends' food choices. I rarely look at their diaries. Pretty much only do it when someone asks for help.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Well, you could ask your friends what they want from you in terms of support.

I would not want someone to tell me I had been naughty and scold me because I decided to go over my calories.
    I am an adult and can make the decision on how much to eat or how fast to lose weight. My friends are usually more inspiration for me than a weight loss police force. I see people logging food and exercise and I want to do that too. They have a duty to take care of themselves, not manage me.

If the person on your list is complaining about not being able to lose the way they want and asking for help then you could point out that they go over their calories pretty often and make suggestions for altering their diet- not scolding.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm assuming, of course, that your diary is open for your friends to look at, so they can scold you when you've been naughty as well.