Advice needed

faytalo
faytalo Posts: 8 Member
Hello,
I am fairly new and enjoy the accountability logging on makes me feel but I have having trouble eating the healthy food.
How do you deal with the fact that your family is not that supportive. Do I cook 2 different meals all the time? Any suggestion welcome.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    What healthy food? No one here tells you what to eat - you can eat what you like! (not saying you shouldn't try to make nutritious choices most of the time, but there isn't food police)

I wouldn't be cooking different meals - if your family doesn't like what you cook, then they should make their own.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    You don't have to make two different meals, but you can if you want. You can eat the same things as they do, but smaller portions so it fits into the calories you have to work with. If that leaves you feeling like you don't have enough food you could add bulk to the meals by adding lower calorie vegetables.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    What exactly is the situation?
    Are you the parent and one doing the cooking? If yes, and if you consider your family's usual meals not that healthy, then for me the only reasonable decision would be to make healthier choices for everyone. If I thought that our family is not having a balanced diet, I would never try to make better choices for myself and not for the kids. In this scenario, I would both explain to the kids why we are choosing X over Y, in an age appropriate way, and then gradually change the family diet to something healthier (change what is usually in stock at home, gradually add new recipes to the usual family menu, modify favourite recipes to healthier versions, change rules for when "less" healthy treats are appropriate etc).
    If you are cooking for other adults, in this case, you cannot force others to eat as you do, but you can discuss why you are making the changes, and see what is an acceptable solution. For example, you can cook your meals, they can cook theirs. Or if there is a need for you to cook (e.g. because you have more free time, or someone is disabled, or thsi was part of an agreement about how to share chores, bills etc ), then cooking more than meals might be the way to go.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    What does a typical unhealthy meal look like in your home? I would say the fact that you are cooking, rather than going out every night, puts you ahead of the game. I find that I am not eating vastly different foods than I was before. I am just eating less, and I am not eating out as much. If it were me I would experiment with eating the same meals I cooked for my family and see how smaller portions worked with my calorie allotment.
  • faytalo
    Typically fried food, lots of cheese, pasta and bread. I agree with you on the portion though, will try that. Thanks!
  • faytalo
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I was trying to please everyone too much. I am the parent doing the cooking and like was advice I just told my husband I needed his help, a bit reluctant but agree to help. As for the kids, I took though approach, they will eat what I prepare. A bit hard but we need to get healthy. It does help to ask for help. Thank you all so much.
  • faytalo
    What healthy food? No one here tells you what to eat - you can eat what you like! (not saying you shouldn't try to make nutritious choices most of the time, but there isn't food police)

I wouldn't be cooking different meals - if your family doesn't like what you cook, then they should make their own.

• faytalo
    You know what I need that. For some reason I had created a food police in my head
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Involve the rest of the family more in meal planning/ shopping/ cooking so that over the long term they become more interested in
    1) the process
    2) the results
  • faytalo
    True, I will also have to develop some patience. Thanks!
  • crenee014
    crenee014 Posts: 32 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What exactly is the situation?
    Are you the parent and one doing the cooking? If yes, and if you consider your family's usual meals not that healthy, then for me the only reasonable decision would be to make healthier choices for everyone. If I thought that our family is not having a balanced diet, I would never try to make better choices for myself and not for the kids. In this scenario, I would both explain to the kids why we are choosing X over Y, in an age appropriate way, and then gradually change the family diet to something healthier (change what is usually in stock at home, gradually add new recipes to the usual family menu, modify favourite recipes to healthier versions, change rules for when "less" healthy treats are appropriate etc).
    If you are cooking for other adults, in this case, you cannot force others to eat as you do, but you can discuss why you are making the changes, and see what is an acceptable solution. For example, you can cook your meals, they can cook theirs. Or if there is a need for you to cook (e.g. because you have more free time, or someone is disabled, or thsi was part of an agreement about how to share chores, bills etc ), then cooking more than meals might be the way to go.

Love your attitude! Helps me change my perspective!