how to get rid of midnight craving

Options
Guys, I've been having the midnight craving urge since last year. I often wake up at night, not feeling hungry but had an urge to grab something to eat. I've tried increasing the portion of food I ate in day time, with each meal eating till I wanna puke, but it doesn't kill the midnight craving urge...
so each night i craved, I'd feel guilty in the morning and then I go exercising crazily to burn that calories I ate at night. I found the greatest calories intake in the whole day comes from my midnight craving.

What could I do to stop that?

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've never had that before, but I have had babies. At a a certain point, babies don't need middle of the night nourishment. They've just grown accustomed to getting it if they cry. It took each kid just a couple nights of not providing a middle of the night snack before they stopped expecting it. Long story to say…..I wonder if you make yourself not have it for a few nights, the craving will go away. Kind of like you train your body when to expect to be fed. Good luck.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yeah my time is 3am but I tend to get woken up by pain anyway. I save some of my calories to factor in a snack, a banana or almond butter on crispbread nd small glass of milk
  • Vidarsbane
    Vidarsbane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth or having a pack of mints next to your bed, mint is a natural appetite suppressant and may help curb your cravings.... What is it you're craving though exactly?
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eating a heavy dinner will not kill midnight cravings. There is no easy way to stop midnight binge eating. I had to go cold turkey by locking my refrigerator and cupboards. You could eat a light dinner, and keep about 200 calories for midnight snacks. When you get up for night eating, eat a few snickers bars, but stay within limit.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    kahlenlex wrote: »
    I've tried increasing the portion of food I ate in day time, with each meal eating till I wanna puke, but it doesn't kill the midnight craving urge...
    so each night i craved, I'd feel guilty in the morning and then I go exercising crazily to burn that calories I ate at night. I found the greatest calories intake in the whole day comes from my midnight craving.

What could I do to stop that?
    If I were you, I'd just plan out my calorie budget to include that midnight snack.

If you don't want to eat as much during the day, there's no reason to force yourself to eat more. Save those calories for when you actually want them.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Save up your calories for night time. Skip breakfast, or eat something really light (boiled egg or fat-free yogurt).
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Save up your calories for night time. Skip breakfast, or eat something really light (boiled egg or fat-free yogurt).

I was thinking the same
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink water and go back to bed….

and stuffing yourself until you want to puke and then waking up hungry at three am does not make sense to me…

so something is off here…

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think the people who suggested saving some calories for a midnight snack are right on. If you know you are going to want to eat at midnight plan what it will be and log the calories just like you would any other snack.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. I eat up until 11:30pm and skip breakfast and don't eat again till 12pm or after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    am I the only one calling hogwash on someone stuffing themselves to the point of almost puking during the day and STILL waking up hungry at three am??????
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It sounds strange but when I stopped eating carbs and made up the calories with fats waking up wanting to eat faded away during the first month. I did it initially for pain management because the doctors wanted me to go Enbrel and I did not want the cancer risk. I just stayed on the high fat eating lifestyle when it worked for pain manage. The other side effects are just a bonus in my case.