Simple dinner ideas?

Options
felicianicolemfp
felicianicolemfp Posts: 11 Member
im honestly not the best cook and dinner has been difficult for me lately. Something quick and filling is what I'm looking for that is healthy! Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    tuna sandwich. Seriously. But, can't go wrong with scrambled eggs mixed with veggies (yeah, I eat them for dinner, sometimes)
  • firstprimex
    firstprimex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lately wholegrain rice and wholegrain porridge have been the main staples of my diet.

I make porridge with water and in the microwave, then add cinnamon and a chopped banana. It's healthy, nutritious, and very filling.

Wholegrain rice is always a cheap, quick, healthy, and filling option. It takes ten minutes to boil and can be eaten with most anything. Mushrooms, bell peppers, green onions, turkey, beans, chick peas, and any variety of herbs and spices go perfectly with it. I just boil it, drain most of the water, then toss everything in the pot for a few minutes to let it heat up and evaporate off the remaining water. Makes a filling and tasty meal and takes no more than 15-20 minutes from start to finish. I also add herbs and spices to the water before boiling to add more flavour.

If you find that boring or monotonous you could always mix it up. You can change the fruit, protein, or spices to make the dishes more interesting and add new flavour, although I don't really mind eating the same thing over again as long as it's good and filling.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    There are a few dinner threads on here that I have found some great ideas on. Read through them and I'm sure you will too.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I make quesadillas with whole grain tortillas. I get refried beans (vegetarian variety is fat-free, tasty and healthy) and mix some taco seasoning and/or salsa. Spread on half the tortilla, sprinkle a little cheese and then fold over and spread a little butter or use the olive oil cooking spray on the outside of the tortilla and then "fry" in a pan to crisp up. Easy peasy and you get a little dairy, a lot of protein and whole grains. You can add other stuff, based on what you have leftover in the fridge.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
    i make batches of lots of "staples" like chicken/pork ropa, chicken santa fe, sweet barbacoa pork. freeze in servings and it's ready to go when you want. just serve with/on salad, zoodles, potato, rice, pasta, tortillas, whatever. Grilled chicken or pork loin chops. I buy them in bulk, divy them up into 3-4 per vacuum bag, and put spice rub or marinades on them. seal and freeze. they marinate as they thaw. grill, bake, broil, or saute.
    I made a really yummy chicken lettuce wraps the other day with pre-marinated(sesame ginger flavor) boneless skinless chicken thighs. Defrosted, then chopped into small pieces. sauteed till done, topped with a dash of sriarcha, some asian slaw and then in a bib lettuce leaf. YUM!
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and broccoli - toss in olive oil and a bunch of spices - put on tinfoil on a baking pan and broil for 10-12 minutes - turn the chicken halfway through. So yummy the broccoli comes out crispy mmmm such a treat :) if you need a carb throw a little Italian bread with garlic and olive oil for the last 3 or so minutes, or chop up some potatoes real small and add to the broccoli. Dinner ready in under 20 minutes, and toss the tinfoil so no cleanup!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Pan fry a piece of fish or other meat you like, and steam some fresh vegetables in the microwave or roast them in a little olive oil. So quick and easy. Or cook your meat and vegetables together on an indoor grill. Crockpot recipes can be very simple and great for leftovers. Put it on before work, and come home to dinner ready to eat.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you don't like to cook, the steam in the bag microwave Uncle Ben's type ready rice is super easy. Pair with frozen microwaveable grilled chicken strips and a veggie or salad. Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes in the oven aren't hard, brush with a bit of oil (about 1 tsp per potato) and bake at 350 until soft through. You may have to test with fork or knife because depending on size they take 60 - 90 minutes. I usually eat half a potato with some meat and veggies or salad. On white potatoes, sprinkling something like Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning on the outside makes it taste great if you like to eat the potato skins. On sweet potatoes, a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg blended with the oil is good. You can still add a bit of butter, sour cream, ketchup whatever you like on your potatoes as long as you count it! And my go to meal is whole grain pasta (spaghetti, rotini, penne - whatever) with spaghetti or marinara sauce and steamed veggies like yellow squash, onions, and broccoli mixed in. You can add a bit of lean ground beef if you like or eat it meatless. Add parmesan, too, if you want - a little cheese won't hurt you and adds calcium. You can find a microwave steamer pot that makes steaming veggies fast - done in 3 1/2 - 4 minutes - if you don't want to steam them in a metal steamer basket type pot on stovetop or have a specialty steamer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Grill some kind of meat, poultry, or fish
    cook some kind of veggie side
    cook some kind of starch

I can grill up some chicken in about 16 minutes. I like making baked potatoes and we eat them all of the time...they take an hour to cook, but they just sit there in the oven, you don't have to really do anything. Steaming some broccoli takes a matter of minutes.
  • paswilmington
    paswilmington Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers. I buy ground turkey when it's on sale and make up my own. Buffalo, italian southwestern, greek...whatever flavors you like. The secret to keeping them moist (turkey burgers tend to be dry) is adding lots of finely chopped veggies to them. I freeze them and then pop them into individual bags. They cook in about 8-10 minutes from frozen on the george foreman grill and since you can change up the flavors you don't tend to get bored with them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Trader Joe's precooked brown rice-3 minutes in the microwave. Add a few ounces of shrimp, some zucchini and squash sautéed with garlic, onion and a spicy seasoning, and mix in a laughing cow cheese. Cheesy rice with shrimp and veg for 400 calories in less than 10 minutes. It's also good with 10-15 grams of avocado just for even more creaminess and texture. And it looks beautiful.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like & how many calories you allot for dinner.
    And if you can spend an hour or so some evening or on a weekend doing prep work, you can pull the ingredients
    from the fridge, warm them up (or cook them, saute or steam).

Sometimes I'll have a cup of greek yogurt with a cup or 2 of fruit, maybe add a T of honey & some dry oatmeal.

Tonight I'm planning a fairly large lunch/dinner - pasta w/ LOTS of veggies, plus an entire package (12oz) of surimi
    (fake crab). It's easy to make pasta (boil water, set a timer), easy to chop & saute veggies. Doesn't take much time.

Couscous is a very fast grain, esp. the small variety. Boil water, dump in the grain, turn off the heat, let it sit 5 min.
    To flavor the couscous, put spices in the water. Meanwhile, nuke or saute some veggies & chop a chicken breast
    that you pre-cooked in a big batch one evening (or weekend day, or in a slow-cooker while you were at work).
    The chicken can be tossed with the veggies to re-warm it. You can have it in separate piles, or mix them all
    together in a big bowl.

Nuking or pan-grilling fish is fast. Steam some fresh veggies on the other burner, do some couscous or re-warm
    some brown rice you cooked another night (or again, in a larger batch on the weekend).

A stir-fry doesn't take much time, most of it in chopping the veggies. Add chicken, shrimp, tofu for protein.
    The veggie prep can be done on the weekend while you're waiting for the rice to cook or chicken to poach.

And here's a really good site for tasty recipes. Can't go wrong with Taste of Home.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cooking-style/quick-recipes

Some other possibilities:
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/quick-easy/dinners-30-minutes-less/
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/menus_meal_plans/five_fast_prep_dinners_for_busy_nights
    http://www.theleangreenbean.com/weekend-prep-for-easy-weekday-meals/
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/quick-easy/make-ahead-meals-0
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    In warmer weather, I like to make a huge bowl of my couscous salad & have it in the fridge, just dish it up when I'm
    hungry. It doesn't take long to make, and is almost as good at room temp as when chilled. Dump this all in a bowl.
    The amounts are very flexible, and included veggies (zucchini, bell pepper) depend on what you have on hand.

1 box couscous, cook as directed
    1T olive oil
    1 can (16oz) diced tomatos, drained (or fresh tomatos, chopped)
    1 can (16oz) garbanzo beans, drained (or cook from dried beans)
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    1 can (5oz) sliced black olives
    4oz feta cheese, diced or crumbled
    1 small onion, minced (maybe 0.75 c, or use dried onion)
    1 zucchini or summer squash, diced (usually about 2 cups)
    Could chop a bell pepper to add to the color, texture, & flavor.
  • tendaymeals
    tendaymeals Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    may I suggest https://tendaymeals.com
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Tyson makes a lot of different grilled and ready products both in the freezer and fridge at the stores!
  • brendalhhc
    brendalhhc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im honestly not the best cook and dinner has been difficult for me lately. Something quick and filling is what I'm looking for that is healthy! Any ideas? Thanks!

A quick and filling meal that I've made is an avocado filled with black beans and 2 balsamic seasoned good size pieces of chicken on the side. If they are sasoned well it taste great!

• cryscrys1010
    cryscrys1010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like cabbage try cooking it in a wok with coconut oil an turkey smoked sausage. Very simple, filling and good plus under 200 calories!