Swimming - I love it.. difficult to figure out what to put down on the exercise chart though

Options
vgr12386
vgr12386 Posts: 21 Member
Hey....
I just swam around 2.25 Kms in 1.5 hrs... [took like a 5-10 minute break in between]
I was wondering if I should put it down as moderate effort or vigorous effort in my exercise log for the day....

Replies

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When I do long distance swims like the one you did I usually log them as moderate and if I do intervals or a series of shorter distances at a fast pace I log the session as vigorous effort.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    You should only do Moderate, I swim for hours on in and always choose moderate even though I swim constantly. For two reasons A) MFP over calculates the calories a lot so if you put vigorous you could end up consuming more than you actually spent. Secondly if you can swim for an hour and a half your not swimming at a vigorous pace, viperous is more like 45min of sprint laps where you push yourself so hard beyond your limits you couldn't possibly do a second more.
  • vgr12386
    Options
    k cool... I shall log it in as moderate then...
    Thanks @soldiergrl_101 & @aliciamariaq .....
    I thought that the number of calories one burnt depended on how much distance one covered....
  • vgr12386
    Options
    k cool... I shall log it in as moderate then...
    Thanks @soldiergrl_101 & @aliciamariaq .....
    I thought that the number of calories one burnt depended on how much distance one covered....
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    @vgr12386 its more like distance x expenditure x body composition. Everyone burns differently because everyone has different genetic make up as well. So all MFP can do is give you a rough estimate of how many calories you burnt. That's why the Fit Bit watches are so popular.

I dont know how much you plan to swim but I just bought a Tom Tom watch omg they are excellent for swimming but they also cover running and biking as well. But for swimming inparticular it can tell you the amt of laps, calories you burnt, heart rate, the type of stroke you used, and the distance. Its helped me alot...that and my underwater ipod... technology is awesome lol.
  • vgr12386
    Options
    @soldiergrl_101 just googled fitbit... looks pretty cool.... unfortunately it seems to only be available in US/Canada :(

hold on the Tom Toms are available in India....but they aren't cheap.... might just pick it up in a couple of months I guess... underwater ipod... haha sounds fun.. haven't used my ipod in ages.... would be real cool if they put all these features in a phone.. hate carrying more than one thing around as well I tend to forget about them and loose stuff :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I swim that far in 31 minutes. Your effort is not (yet!) vigorous. Choose whatever is the slowest option.