Can't stop waking up through the night to eat.

Options
Hi guys, I sleep at 9:30-10pm and every night I wake up around first between 11:30 an 12:30 and end up eating sone out mean, banana or maybe a little chocolate, this ends up going on throughout the night, I'll will end up waking up every few hours hungry. It's really hard to say no in that sleepy state. I'm taking melatonin and drinking chamomile tea before bed but I still wake up. I eat all the calories I'm supposed to and I'm set to lose 1lb a week but last week I stayed the same, no weight loss.

Anyone else go through this and end up on the other side?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Could you keep a glass of water by your bed and have a drink instead?

I find magnesium helps me sleep better.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    No, I never wake up to eat, even if I wake up hungry. I usually just go back to sleep, maybe get a drink of water if I feel dehydrated. Your diary is closed. Open it for more helpful advice. What is your activity like? Are you eating all of your allotted calories before going to bed, or after sleep-eating? Have you tried magnesium supplements or protein rich foods before bed?
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have always worked the 7 pm to 7 am shift..so I often wake all hours of the night. When I wake at night, I have a 25 calorie Sensible Sweets hot chocolate. That helps me.
  • justinriel35
    justinriel35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agree with DMoosie. What are you eating near the end of your day? Perhaps something that digests slower is in order.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What about some behaviour modification techniques to disrupt your nightly pattern, and teach yourself not to go for food so quickly when you wake up? Rearrange your bedroom so the path to the food isn't so familiar to your sleepy self. Rearrange the cupboards or make food less accessible, the extra time may wake you up and get you back in control, or your sleepy self says "forget it, I'm going back to bed". Are you looking at the clock when you wake up? You might be reinforcing the message of "it's midnight, and I'm waking up hungry again". Turn your clock away to break that part of the pattern.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to eat during the night...try having a yogurt and grapes before bed..helped me I think because both are very filling.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with MyaPapaya, eat something healthy but substantial before bed. I've lost 104 lbs in 11 months and I always eat a late dinner and then go to bed. I never wake up hungry. And You only have 5 lbs to lose, please LOL. I saw your profile pic and it doesn't look like you need to lose anything, certainly not a pound a week. No wonder your hungry, EAT MORE.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok I would wake up at first too when on a deficit. Not anymore. I upped my protein. Can you give us an idea of # of calories you're eating? And how many grams of protein?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ok I would wake up at first too when on a deficit. Not anymore. I upped my protein. Can you give us an idea of # of calories you're eating? And how many grams of protein?

Same here - When I was in a deficit I had greek yogurt just before bed - that took care of the waking up at night hungry thing.

• rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Me too maxit! Best lil snack because of the carbs and protein in there. Some carbs at night -woot!

• Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm often in the same boat. Usually if I cut caffeine during the day I sleep sounder at night and avoid waking every few hours.
    I've also told myself before bed, "If you wake up you only get to eat xXxX" and I pick something healthy. Then in my half sleep I decide it's not worth it to walk down stairs for that.
    But I totally get what you're saying about how it's hard to make good choices when you're half asleep. Your "devil" side often wins.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    phxhiker wrote: »
    It's really hard to say no in that sleepy state.

In a sleepy state it's easier to not eat, you know, because you're sleepy and have little energy to do anything other than sleep. Finding food and eating it is a deliberate effort that requires you to go out of your way from what you were previously doing.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used to do that too. Now I eat a large dinner around 7:00. I feel much better because I'm sleeping through the night. I'm losing around a pound a week.
  • phxhiker
    phxhiker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I snack a lot throughout the day, I'm going to try my best to eat more right before bed. I eat a rout 150 grams of carbs and 150 grams of protein on average a day.
  • Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's a bad habit you'll have to get rid off eventually. But meanwhile you could try and make it hurt your diet less.

When you wake up instead of eating chocolate or a banana, how about you drink a glass of water and eat something low in calories like some veggies(radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber with a bit of salt)? This won't hurt your diet that much(if any).

Right before bed I usually eat some low cottage cheese or greek yoghurt, high in protein, low in cal and really tasty. :relaxed:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I agree that this becomes a habit that you have to break. Eat something before going to bed--within your calorie limits and then that's it. If you can't get back to sleep after drinking a glass of water, read a book. Once your body knows it won't get anything after a certain hour, it'll adjust. Best of luck. B)