FORGET BMI!!

Options

Replies

• dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Heheh just looked at mine, at the top of the healthy range is 174,4 and at the bottom 128.5

Honestly, If I was 140lbs I would look like I'd never eaten in my life. I once got down to 220lbs and I had about another 20 until I was happy. That's my BMI not something 'guessed' at on a computer :D
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I don't disagree with the comments about BMI, but it's a tool....and only that. As a retired P.A. in internal medicine, I can tell you that I would have been THRILLED to death if all of my patients could have managed to get down into the "overweight" range for BMI. But sadly, in my adult patient population, there were too many people (women) who considered themselves "curvy" when in fact, they *were* obese. Hollywood images of emaciated young men and women are not realistic role models, the BMI isn't perfect, but denial is a powerful thing, and if seeing in print that you are morbidly obese or obese helps to create an action plan for better nutrition and exercising, I'm all for it.

Your BMI is: 23.9
    Target weight range: 101.2 - 136.7 lbs
    I find it to be accurate for me. I can maintain 130 or so without doing much of anything, 140 (my highest ever) made me feel all doughy and unfit, and 105 (when I was ill) looked sickly and unhealthy.
  • jmassardo
    jmassardo Posts: 84
    Options
    The company I work for has been kicking around the idea of charging more for insurance for people with a high BMI...
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    None of this stuff is about how you LOOK. It's about how healthy your body is. Normal weight is when your body functions like NORMAL. Overweight, obese, or anything higher is when your body's weight is starting to degrade your mental or physical health. Same with underweight and whatever is under that.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I understand those who are saying that the BMI is more about health than looks, but my looks are important to me too. If I can be 150 (BMI 27.4) and look amazing, I'd rather be there than a BMI of 20 and looking like I'm on death's door. Plus I've heard that BMI is not as accurate for shorter people, and I'm 5' 2", which is pretty darn short. I agree that I'm unhealthy right now; the lumpiness of my body proves it. But I don't think it's necessary for me to lose 40-50 lbs. to be "healthy."
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    the BMI isn't perfect, but denial is a powerful thing, and if seeing in print that you are morbidly obese or obese helps to create an action plan for better nutrition and exercising, I'm all for it.

I agree with this.

People don't always see overweight when they look in the mirror (I never did).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I found that link really interesting. It backs up what I have always said - that people in the modern western world have completely lost track of what humans are supposed to look like. You don't see wild animals with rolls of fat, and we aren't meant to have them either. I anticipated almost every one of the results in that link from looking at the pictures before I read the classification.
  • fteale
    Options
    I also think people like to trash the concept of BMI because it makes them feel bad. I understand that, but it doesn't remove the fact that you have a very wide range within your BMI that is considered ok, and it's not that unreasonable for most people. For MOST people BMI is a very good indication of healthy weight (not health full stop, but healthy weight). It only becomes inaccurate if you are body building or have a very very low body fat %, which can lead to it's own problems. Many athletes and male film stars have overweight BMIs because they have an abnormally high amount of muscle on their frames, but most of us aren't in that category.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Getting body fat measured is a good way to determine healthy weight. People cannot make excuses on that one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It clearly doesn't take a lot of things into account (muscle mass, frame) so it is certainly not fail proof, but I don't think it's a bad baseline for your average jo. People have to keep in mind nothing like this is fail proof, not even this site.

I am slightly confused about the link you posted though, I didn't browse through ALL the pictures but with the ones I clicked on (with exception of a few in the grey area) the ones who were overweight did look overweight and the ones who were "normal" Looked nice and healthy to me. Am I missing something?

I agree!! I thought most of the 'overweight' or 'obese' ones could stand to lose a few pounds!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I get that the BMI scale is a tool and that it needs to be treated as such, i.e. a guide not the end all be all. I have recently had my body fat measured and it is 40%. I agree I'm overweight, I'm working on that and it is down by a significant amount already. If I were to get down to even the high end of BMI normal that would put me at 140 lbs, doesn't sound so bad when I say I'm 5'3". Now, do a little math you can quickly see that at my current lean body weight, if I were to get to 140 lb, I would only have 1% body fat.

My concern is this...

If insurance companies begin penalizing consumers based on BMI, a good deal of the healthy folks out there are going to be in trouble. Unfortunately, this could some day extend to our livelihoods. I was reading an article in the New York Times last month that a hospital was attempting to fire, yes fire, employees who smoke even if they only smoke on their own time and have showered prior to coming to work. If you are caught smoking during your off time, you could be fired. According to the article this hospital has not received any resistance by the state government as it is a privately funded hospital (if I remember correctly). The article also stated, and I believe it was a quote from someone with the hospital, that they were also considering adding a clause that would allow them to fire, or not hire, individuals who qualify as fat. Now, who and how do they decide who qualifies as fat? Unfortunately, the vast majority of the healthcare industry still relies on BMI. We'll see what happens.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I get that the BMI scale is a tool and that it needs to be treated as such, i.e. a guide not the end all be all. I have recently had my body fat measured and it is 40%. I agree I'm overweight, I'm working on that and it is down by a significant amount already. If I were to get down to even the high end of BMI normal that would put me at 140 lbs, doesn't sound so bad when I say I'm 5'3". Now, do a little math you can quickly see that at my current lean body weight, if I were to get to 140 lb, I would only have 1% body fat.

This is some seriously fuzzy math. If your current weight is in the 240's and you lose 100 pounds to become 140, you will absolutely NOT be at 1% body fat. Ain't gonna happen, no way, no how. ;-)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I found that link really interesting. It backs up what I have always said - that people in the modern western world have completely lost track of what humans are supposed to look like. You don't see wild animals with rolls of fat, and we aren't meant to have them either. I anticipated almost every one of the results in that link from looking at the pictures before I read the classification.

Most of the "overweight" people (not obese) did not have "rolls of fat" though. For the most part they looked healthy.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< this pic of me is at 175 pounds and "overweight"" according to BMI standards. According to charts I should be around 137 in the middle of the "normal" category. UMMMMM I don't think I weighed that at 13 YO! I have my goal set at 150 but would be happy to lose my baby-weight and get back to 175 and wearing a size 10.
  • fteale
    Options

Most of the "overweight" people (not obese) did not have "rolls of fat" though. For the most part they looked healthy.

That is exactly my point. We are so used to most of the people we see every day being overweight that we DO think that that is healthy.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

What mathematical equation would give you 1% fat? Impossible, unless if you're six feet under.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options

That is exactly my point. We are so used to most of the people we see every day being overweight that we DO think that that is healthy.

Well again, if that's what "healthy" is, I'd rather be slightly overweight. My blood pressure's fine, I don't have diabetes, and I don't have any other serious health issues according to my doctor. I don't have any desire to have that little fat on my body. Everybody has their personal preference and I just can't see how what's right for someone else is automatically right for me.
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options

What mathematical equation would give you 1% fat? Impossible, unless if you're six feet under.

Ok, maybe I'm missing some piece of information but here goes...

Body weight = 250 lbs
    Body fat percentage = 45% (let's calculate high for possible product inaccuracy)

250 x 0.45 = 112.5 of body fat weight

250 - 112.5 = 137.5 of lean body weight, a.k.a. bone, muscle, organs, etc.

My understanding is that if you lose weight in a healthy way by eating an appropriate amount of healthy calories and include strength training, you should not lose lean body weight. That being said...

137.5 x 0.01 = 1.375 is 1% of body fat weight

137.5 + 1.375 = 138.875 new body weight with 1% body fat and under 140.

I know 1% is not healthy or even possible, but unless I plan to lose lean body weight I don't see 140 in my future and I'm okay with that. Now, if there is something about lean body weight that I'm missing I'd really like to know as I'm constantly trying to learn new things regarding my health, fitness and weight loss journey.
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ok folks I have a few work out tips that may be of help...here it goes:

Kettle Worx - love it love it love it....I have the 6 week transformation dvds. I have been doing it for two weeks now and see results. I suggest you work out at your own pace...the trainer tends to go too fast and it can be a bit rough on the knees....major squatting and working those glutes!

Zumba- now I love to dance! You will feel like you just got out of the shower on this one. The Zumba Wii is also a great investment, if you are new to dancing then this may be too much for you...but believe me I have a daughter that has no rhythm and now she is doing the Rhythm Nation Janet Jackson style..lol

Tae Bo - you can't go wrong with Billy Blanks!

Yoga- now I have learned how to breathe and relax when I do yoga. This is a skill that will take years of mastering for me...

So these are some mini tips on some work out dvds...hope it helps anyone!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options

Ok, maybe I'm missing some piece of information but here goes...

Body weight = 250 lbs
    Body fat percentage = 45% (let's calculate high for possible product inaccuracy)

250 x 0.45 = 112.5 of body fat weight

250 - 112.5 = 137.5 of lean body weight, a.k.a. bone, muscle, organs, etc.

My understanding is that if you lose weight in a healthy way by eating an appropriate amount of healthy calories and include strength training, you should not lose lean body weight. That being said...

137.5 x 0.01 = 1.375 is 1% of body fat weight

137.5 + 1.375 = 138.875 new body weight with 1% body fat and under 140.

I know 1% is not healthy or even possible, but unless I plan to lose lean body weight I don't see 140 in my future and I'm okay with that. Now, if there is something about lean body weight that I'm missing I'd really like to know as I'm constantly trying to learn new things regarding my health, fitness and weight loss journey.

How did you get your BF tested, was it with calipers?