New (Wanna Be) Runner

I've always joked that I'm built for power and not speed, but I'm really trying to get my body conditioned for running. I can do hours at a time on an elliptical, I can easily do long distances walking briskly, but running is tough! I can do 5-7 minutes and my lungs feel like they are going to explode! I'm trying the walk run intervals...but I'm wondering at what point do I crack the "I can't breath" threshold and get to where running several miles is enjoyable and not a "just trying to survive it" episode.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Keep running in intervals and make sure running is really slow, so you will not feel exhausted after the second interval. Aim for something like 30 minutes total as a beginner. Once you feel comfortable running for 30 minutes (and it will usually take several weeks ot get there), increase either distance or speed, depending on your goals. It takes time, like everything :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    I'm new to running too. And the first mile is killer. [People are probably calling 911 (my first mile) because they think I'm so distressed and out-of-breath running from a monster.] The second mile is easier. I find my pace and zone.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Go slower and work on your endurance. Speed comes with time. Also maybe look into a couch to 5k program. I've used it in the past and it's lovely.

Happy running!
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    I used to be a runner before I got really, really sick. I just started easing back into it with the Couch to 5K program, and it has changed everything!
  • ukjanetm
    ukjanetm Posts: 3 Member
    Two weeks in to a Couch to 5K here, and I'm finding it a very helpful way to do it. You're not trying to run for long lengths of time early on; you're running in multiple segments with walking in between, working towards lengthening the running intervals and shortening the walk 'recovery' intervals. Also, ditto on the comments about running slowly - build up endurance first, and then speed can come. I do much better if my 'running' pace is barely faster than my brisk walking pace.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    same here....just reading in.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I'm trying the walk run intervals...but I'm wondering at what point do I crack the "I can't breath" threshold and get to where running several miles is enjoyable and not a "just trying to survive it" episode.

Keep doing intervals but slow down to a more comfortable pace. The slower you run, the further you'll go. Speed will come in time.
    You're doing great. 5-7 minutes of hard running is a great start. Slow down and that could change to 10-15 minutes pretty quickly. Find your pace and you'll improve quickly.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Slow down. And check out C25k as others have said. It will come, just be patient. Also, running becomes addictive and when you hit that point, you'll know it :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Assuming your running is not on a machine... It's different outside than on the treadmill - many find it difficult to get a grip on pace, at first at least. Guilty here and I used to be a distance runner but when starting again I had all sorts of difficulty reining in my mind which kept thinking old-fit-me for pace. Trust me, you'll figure it out.

What really helped me was running with someone else.

That you are having a hard time getting O2 through while running tells you that your elliptical work isn't providing sufficient cardio stress to improve those functions. Eventually you'll build your cardio pulmonary system up. Start slow and don't be distressed if it takes weeks but trust that if you keep it up you'll see amazing changes in your fitness level, and elsewhere too!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I reiterate to jog slowly...a faster pace will come with time. When you feel like you cannot run any further you can almost jog in place...slow it down & you will progress faster! Another thing that helps is regulating your breathing. The first mile or so for me is getting into into my preferred rhythm...breathe in for two steps, breathe out for two steps, always starting with my left foot.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Run slower. Think "paper bag pace." If you're not embarrassed enough by how slow you're going to want to pull a paper bag over your head, you're not going slow enough.

This is true for experienced distance runners in training, too. :)

And for what it's worth, OP--once you're at the right pace, you'll find that a lot of your endurance from the elliptical transfers over *really* nicely. Once I could run a mile straight, 5K and then 10K came *really* easily on the basis of my elliptical work!
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Wow...you guys are awesome. Fantastic advice! I've been focusing too much on mileage...12 minute mile has been my goal, but it sounds like I need to slow it down and focus on my rhythm and breathing.

Any thoughts on doing this on treadmill vs. outside? Is there a disadvantage if I'm doing some training on treadmill? Is it better if I use a treadmill to get my pace correct?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Wow...you guys are awesome. Fantastic advice! I've been focusing too much on mileage...12 minute mile has been my goal, but it sounds like I need to slow it down and focus on my rhythm and breathing.

Any thoughts on doing this on treadmill vs. outside? Is there a disadvantage if I'm doing some training on treadmill? Is it better if I use a treadmill to get my pace correct?
    This is what I'm doing. I can run 30 minutes at 4.2mph, which is pretty slow - I could probably walk that fast if I wanted to! My aim is to increase speed slowly (started at 4mph). I read that to simulate running outside, set the treadmill to a small incline. Going slow is THE best advice.

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member

I find I'm faster outside vs the treadmill, but that's going to vary by person. Try it, then decide which do you enjoy more. Or mix- speed intervals are easier on a treadmill. There is no better or right choice.

tl;dr Find what works for you and stick with it.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    mwyvr wrote: »

That you are having a hard time getting O2 through while running tells you that your elliptical work isn't providing sufficient cardio stress to improve those functions. Eventually you'll build your cardio pulmonary system up. Start slow and don't be distressed if it takes weeks but trust that if you keep it up you'll see amazing changes in your fitness level, and elsewhere too!

This is interesting to me. I go very hard on the elliptical. No less than 45 minutes every morning with an average heart rate of 145/150. Get a great calorie burn. Makes me wonder if I should scrap that and focus more on running.
  • mwyvr
    IM, that's very interesting. Clearly you are expanding your cardio pulmonary system with that sort of effort.

Perhaps the issue is more of "running economy". Can you describe your style of running?
  • IncredibleMulk77
    mwyvr wrote: »
    IM, that's very interesting. Clearly you are expanding your cardio pulmonary system with that sort of effort.

Perhaps the issue is more of "running economy". Can you describe your style of running?

Sloppy. LOL!

I'm far from graceful and don't know that I'll ever be one that looks either good or natural running. I still feel like I'm pounding the ground or the treadmill and my feet/heels ache the next day. I'm not a small guy. I'm trying to be more fluid, keep my head up and resisting the urge to look at the ground. It's amazing how winded I get from running and how controlled I am while on an elliptical.
  • mwyvr
    It does sound like form and running economy might be one aspect of your running that might be contributing to how you feel while running. If someone were able to work with you directly no doubt they'd zero in on whatever issues need to be worked on.

You might check with local running speciality stores or your YMCA or community centres if you are in a larger city if there is a running clinic program or speaker series or something like that. Getting experienced advice from people who can run with you might prove invaluable and very often clinics can be found for free or for very reasonable costs. In larger cities there are often many groups offering a pace group for all levels of runners.

As you lose weight your form will definitely improve. I used to be a distance runner years ago but when I started again last fall I was 45kg/100 pounds over my goal weight. Believe me, I was anything but graceful. It's only the last couple of months that I feel my form is really coming back. Being 25kg lighter now definitely helps a lot!

Slowing down, working on cadence (how many strikes per minute you make - a good objective is 180, 90 per foot but you don't need to nor should you try to get there all in one go), avoiding maxing out your heart rate all the time (easier to focus on form when you aren't pushing it!) - there are all sorts of things that might help. It just takes a little time and since you are already motivated there is no doubt you will get there.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Here is a breathing tip that helps me a lot when i run. Keep your elbows in, it helps open up your chest and helps ease breathing. So shoulders back, elbows in, and you should notice a difference. I am still new to the pavement myself.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Here is a breathing tip that helps me a lot when i run. Keep your elbows in, it helps open up your chest and helps ease breathing. So shoulders back, elbows in, and you should notice a difference. I am still new to the pavement myself.

Thanks @AlciaMode

I had not heard that! I'll take any help pulling O2 in that I can get!