losing a bit too fast

Options
titania_one
titania_one Posts: 26 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, so I started at 177 with a goal weight of 140, hoping to lose about a pound a week. I entered "sedentary" as I thought that's what I was. I have lost about 17lbs in about 39 days. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled it's working but I don't want to lose so fast I lose any more muscle than necessary, etc. Just looking for some ideas of what to do to slow it down a bit but still lose. I'm currently about 159 lbs. On days I exercise I mostly eat it back. Have I just underestimated my activity level or underestimated my exercise burns or what? I mostly walk and guess how fast I'm going and use MFPs database for it. I do not use a food scale just barcodes and cups, haven't got one yet as I figured it was going well but the more I read the less I want to lose a lot super fast. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I do 2x/week some light strength training which I don't log as I'm not sure what sort of calories I actually burn doing it. TY :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    #1 Get a scale and start logging accurately.

#2 After doing #1 if you are still losing too quickly, eat more.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You've probably lost a lot of water weight, this often happens when people start restricting calories.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You've probably lost a lot of water weight, this often happens when people start restricting calories.

I agree with this but the water weight loss shouldn't be happening at the 39 day point, especially considering the starting and goal weights.

OP how much have you lost over the past two weeks?
  • PiJen
    PiJen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have exercise you're not logging, you're definitely not sedentary.
  • titania_one
    edited May 2015
    Options
    "OP how much have you lost over the past two weeks?"

About 6 lbs in last 2 weeks.
  • titania_one
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, yes I think I will get a food scale. :) will try that and see what happens.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OP, I had the same issue. I took all the weekly averages and factored in weight loss and calculated a better calorie goal for myself (400 kcal over MFP goal). Now losing at a much better rate (1/2 lb per week, which was my goal all along). Try with the scale for a couple of months and you may end up needing to calculate a better goal for yourself.

The best thing about MFP is when you put meaningful info in, you can get meaningful info back.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just looking for some ideas of what to do to slow it down a bit but still lose.

I may be missing something but....eat more??
  • titania_one
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Well yes, but how much more is what I'm looking for LOL. I'm going to try a food scale and see if that helps. Maybe then I can see what I'm really eating.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I agree with this but the water weight loss shouldn't be happening at the 39 day point, especially considering the starting and goal weights.

OP how much have you lost over the past two weeks?

I don't think he meant that the ongoing losses are water, but that the initial losses were water. A 17 lb loss could easily be 5 lbs of water and 12 lbs of mass. A 12 lb real loss in 39 days isn't so bad.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Well yes, but how much more is what I'm looking for LOL. I'm going to try a food scale and see if that helps. Maybe then I can see what I'm really eating.

This is basic math. A lb is worth about 3500 calories.

Right now you're losing 3 lbs per week. Want to lose only 2? Eat another 500 calories per day. Want to lose 1.5? Eat another 750. Lose 1, eat 1000 more, etc.
  • titania_one
    Options
    I know but it's hard for me to believe that netting about 1250/day (what MFP has told me to do), I'm still at a deficit of 1500 calories per day. It just seems crazy. I just bought a food scale at target today after advice here, and I may get a fitbit too, to see what I'm actually burning. I'm starting to think I've simply underestimated my activity level, maybe by a lot. Anyways, thanks for the advice. :)
  • titania_one
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

I don't think he meant that the ongoing losses are water, but that the initial losses were water. A 17 lb loss could easily be 5 lbs of water and 12 lbs of mass. A 12 lb real loss in 39 days isn't so bad.

Thanks that makes sense and makes me feel a little better anyways :)