Starting yoga

Options
Hey everyone,
My name is Kelsee and I just started to use this app a couple days ago. I've tooken a little vacation from the gym and want to get back into it. I'm very interested in starting yoga as well but unfortunately my little town doesn't have any classes to offer. I was wondering if anyone knew of any helpful websites or videos?

Replies

• Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee videos from Gaiam are good for beginners. You can buy the DVD's or subscribe to gaiam tv online. His beginner videos do a good job of explaining the poses and alignment.
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sean vigue has tons of free videos on YouTube. Don't buy anything. He has all sorts of great workouts for all levels
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    YouTube yoga with Adriane. She's the whole reason I started and fell in love with yoga. She makes things fun and easy going for ppl new to yoga. ❤️ Her!!
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use you tube I'm l
    into the streaches
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I really like the Yoga Studio app for when I can't get to classes. It costs a few dollars but it has dozens of routines from very beginner stretching to advanced balance and inversions. You can even design your own program with your favorite poses and it'll fill in the gaps with transitional poses so it flows. I especially like their runners yoga for after my runs.
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    http://www.doyogawithme.com is the best in my opinion.
    Lots of great videos, all free. Even the programs in the programs section are free if your enter "0" as the donation amount. This website is a wonderful tool for yoga practice at home.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some great free resources. Thanks everyone. I've been wanting to learn and try yoga, too - so now I have no excuse. ^_^
  • Amunah
    Amunah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been attending a mixed-ability weekly class for the last year, and whilst it has been ok in terms of increasing flexibility and learning form, it wasn't until I did the '30 days of Yoga' (with Adriene, as posted earlier) that I really got into it and starting to feel/see a big difference in stamina, strength and muscle-tone as well as flexibility. Some of Adriene's sessions are long and some are short, and they don't follow a 'linear' progression so don't be afraid to swap them around or add them together to suit your available time or energy/laziness level.

However, I'm off to check out some of the other sites suggested above 'cos Adriene, bless, does like to jabber (especially annoying halfway through a movement or pose!) and I'm now finding it distracting rather than charming...
  • kelseecarmichael2
    kelseecarmichael2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input your help is greatly appreciated : )