Any Nurses Out There?

Options
2»

Replies

• JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been pre-logging as well and I think it worked. Down 4.6 this week!
  • alwhiteRN1
    alwhiteRN1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work 3 12s and 1 4hr night shift as an acute adolescent psych RN. I have about 18 adolescents screaming at me and punching walls so I'm hopping! I set a schedule for when I eat. I dont care who sees me eat. I know I'm breaking rules having food behind the nurses station but if I dont eat my sugar drops dangerously low!! I eat right before work at 530 pm, the at work 1030pm, 130am, 430am. If I'm off work, I eat at 8 am, 12 pm, 530 pm, 130am (yes I still wake up to eat). My biggest meal is my 130am meal which is normally when I take my lunch break at work. I normally workout right before I eat my 530 meal. This has worked for me. Ive lost over 100 lbs and I'm under my goal weight!
  • alwhiteRN1
    alwhiteRN1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run to the bathroom or med room and scarf down food if I have to lol!!!
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Emergency room represent. My shifts change week to week (I'm also a full-time student), so mealtime can be pretty haphazard. I do a lot of pre-logging too, especially on workdays/nights. Almost always bring my own food to campus and to work, including baggies of pita chips or whatever that I've weighed first at home to keep me from eating snack machine junk.
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to work in LTC as an LPN before I got my RN, nd believe it or not - we were busy!! My current job is a lot less stressful with more of set times to eat, etc. my reccomendation for throughout the day is something like mentioned above - string cheese, Greek yogurt, or nuts. They pack a decent amount of protein and are easy to carry. Maybe jerky, if the sodium content isn't too high. Good luck!
  • tinkerb311
    tinkerb311 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    _Tzefira_ wrote: »
    Emergency room represent. My shifts change week to week (I'm also a full-time student), so mealtime can be pretty haphazard. I do a lot of pre-logging too, especially on workdays/nights. Almost always bring my own food to campus and to work, including baggies of pita chips or whatever that I've weighed first at home to keep me from eating snack machine junk.
    tinkerb311 wrote: »
    Im picu nurse and ive put on so much weight in this job, staying in one small bedspace all day, 3x 20 min breaks in a 13hr day and starving myself on nights then binging when i finish nights. But this is the week my change starts, eating healthier and gym induction tomorrow! Is there a nurse group on here?

I try and working out on my three days off. I know I should do more but I feel like it is the most realistic. I'm trying to make my new like change realistic and possible.

Im aiming for gym 3x a week...this week im only going to manage 2x (work/children ) but next week i might get extra in to balance out!
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've decided to do 2 classes per week at the gym with one or two runs a week too. Starting next week as I'm doing the Manchester 10k on Sunday!
    Probably will only get to do one of each a week but at least it's something!

Any tips on how to get motivated and willpower?!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I get shaky and don't concentrate well if I don't get enough to eat, so I try to have something that will stick with me when I'm really busy. What I do is when I'm home preparing meals, I plan to make enough of something that some of it can be packed in a lunch or dinner to take to work. For example, I might put fresh green beans, baby, red potatoes and chicken tenders into a baking dish and bake for an hour. When it's done I will pack part of it in a container to take to work. I'm always planning ahead and making my meals stretch to be able to take some with me. I've been known to freeze portions of things just for those times when I don't have time to cook and I just need to grab something out of the fridge or freezer and toss it in my bag.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm usually well under on my work days as I'm burning loads more calories. My main meal is when I get home around 8:30pm. I can get to 2pm without feeling the need to eat. We only get 2 half hr breaks.
  • JillianRN527
    Options
    @debrag12 I eat mostly when I get home too. We only get 30 minutes.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NURSES WEEK EVERYONE!!!!!
  • JillianRN527
    Options
    You too!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

is7ly0z7m8g4.png

;)
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

is7ly0z7m8g4.png

;)

LOL, I know, right? I didn't even get to margarita it up because my honey is out of state on a conference!

I celebrated with a cobb salad from chick fila!
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you shouldn't be using calories burned at work as that should be in you activity level, ie sedentary, light activity etc.
    How do you measure calories burned at work?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Happy Nurses Week!!!!!!
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    louise3uk wrote: »
    I read somewhere that you shouldn't be using calories burned at work as that should be in you activity level, ie sedentary, light activity etc.
    How do you measure calories burned at work?

I put my activity level as lightly active, and try not to eat back what I burn with all my walking, etc.

Except on H&P days, cause I do excessive walking throughout the jail those days lol
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    And what kinds of devil delicious food has been brought at your facilities for celebrations? Lol
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I always take a MetRx protein bar (30 grams protein, 325 calories) that I can eat in just a couple of minutes. It helps to keep me from getting ravenous and make sure I get some protein .

What flavor do you recommend? I make a shake in the morning or I take it Premier Protein or EAS Protein shake that is already make. High protein low sugar. They aren't too bad as long as they are COLD! But it's the next 10 hours that are tough. Getting my water in is a challenge too!

I like the peanut butter cup flavor best; it doesn't really taste like a peanut butter cup but I think it's the most palatable. Second is the roasted peanut.

• fadraface01
    fadraface01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy Nurses Week to all! Hope everyone felt truly appreciated for the gift we give everyday through these beautiful hands