Weighing your food...HELP!

Options
AdGalicia
AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
I have been meaning to ask this question for a while now, when weighing meats (chicken, fish, steak,etc) should we weigh it before it is cooked for an accuarate calorie count or after it is cooked? Meat is heavier raw...so...

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    So I always weigh pre-cooked. But if it comes frozen I always weigh it after it's thawed. I do not know if this is correct. Also, when it comes to meats such as chicken and fish, I have heard it doesn't make much of a difference if it's before or after because it's low cal. Many people say do before.

The ones who weigh after normally do it with the "greasier" foods like hamburger because they are not eating all the grease that was in the pre-cooked meat. Chicken really just loses water while it is cooked, not grease.

Obviously...I do not know the wrong or right way. Everyone is going to give you a different response.
  • jenbrazil
    jenbrazil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard to always weigh your food raw! Good Luck;)
  • AdGalicia
    Options
    thanks...i'll start weighing raw then
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep, pre-cooked!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Just make sure you use the correct calorie values for whichever one you do- i.e. "Grass fed ground beef, RAW, 1lb" when you enter it.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    It doesnt really matter as long as you enter it correctly e.g. 3oz cooked chicken breast or 3oz raw chicken breast:smile:
  • mrbunzey
    mrbunzey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Always weigh your food raw. There are, of course, times you can't but use the tool to select something that comes close. As you learn to weigh your food you will get good at looking at cooked items and being able to guess fairly accurately what the pre-cooked weight was.
  • mrbunzey
    mrbunzey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Now we have differing opinions. I choose raw as it weighs more. Most recipes you find and calorie charts assume raw.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    whatever you choose to do there are different counts for both
  • AdGalicia
    Options
    thanks guys, I'll definatly stick to the raw weighing method
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!