Treadmill VS. Walking/Jogging Outside

teelah74
teelah74 Posts: 2
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone,

I have a question why do I burn more calories on the Treadmill vs walking same time frame same distance.

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Are you going by a HRM or by the estimations on MFP?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    less...to make it equal the outside run make it a 1% incline
  • dianeensey
    dianeensey Posts: 13 Member
    Walking outside you are walking on a less even, flat surface and you engage your body more. I know jogging outside gets my heart rate going more than on the treadmill. All those constant adjustments to wind/terrain add up.
  • teelah74
    teelah74 Posts: 2
    When I put in the treadmill on the my fitness pal app vs actually walking/jogging the application states I am burning more calories on the treadmill then when I state I am walking. I researched the treadmill vs actual walking and it is common I just wanted to know if anyone knew why that is. I am tracking my pace at 3.0 weather walking or on the treadmill but I am getting mixed information about the actual calories that I am burning.
  • drobb821
    drobb821 Posts: 9
    I was wondering the same thing. I find myself tiring out more when running on a treadmill, but I figured that running outside (with wind resistance and actually having to cover the distance you are going would be more effort. Anyone have any proof for either one?
This discussion has been closed.