first run outside vs. treadmill - got any advice?

Options
acarmon55
acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been running on the treadmill since December. I have been using C25K. I thought since it was such a beautiful day outside I would try running outside today. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was actually easier than I thought. According to my phone info I ran 5.8 mi/hr and I was doing 6 on the treadmill with 2% incline. With my 5 minute warm up and 5 min cool down I ran 3.33 miles in 40 minutes. I was not as hot or tired after running outside today. Is that a good time? Since I wasn't as tired as on the treadmill should I push myself harder? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, make any changes incrementally. Going too hard too soon is often asking for trouble. Like, injury trouble. There's all the time in the world to build up speed. Very nice that your first run in the world went well. It really can be much more satisfying than the 'mill.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Outdoor is more fun but different. I found it a little more difficult at first. I was used to the treadmill setting the pace, it took a little time to learn to read your body (heart rate, breathing, stride, etc...) to get your pace right. Also, difference in terrain makes it more challenging. Even on paved surfaces there are variations.

Go slow at first, try mapmyrun or some other running app to help and enjoy it, it's way better than the mill!!

• gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree that running outside is more difficult. I find the biggest change is learning to pace yourself vs having the treadmill set the pace. Try to be aware of how fast your going and purposefully speed up/slow down as needed.
  • sandcastlesinfl
    sandcastlesinfl Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try running outside! Enjoy the sunshine! I began c25k last yr. I just ran my 2nd 5k in April. Follow the program don't push yourself. If you do too much you will end up hurting yourself. I myself like running outside....I can't stand the rat wheel, I mean treadmill. ;) Best wishes to you.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will push slightly harder next time. I use my Samsung Galaxy S4 active to map the run and give me feedback. It did say I reached my fastest time between mile 2 and 3. Hopefully as I run more outside it will get easier to pace correctly. Is 3.33 miles in 40 minutes good? What should I am for eventually?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will push slightly harder next time. I use my Samsung Galaxy S4 active to map the run and give me feedback. It did say I reached my fastest time between mile 2 and 3. Hopefully as I run more outside it will get easier to pace correctly. Is 3.33 miles in 40 minutes good? What should I am for eventually?

Your first time outside and you ran more than a 5K! That's awesome!

The easiest way to improve your running speed in the beginning is simply to run more. Just keep running; see what happens. Maybe sign up for an organized 5K or two for the heck of it!