What fitness machines tell me I'm burning compared to what M

Options
It seems to me that when I log my exercises in MFP it shows that I've burned a lot more calories than what the machine tells me I've burned. I'm assuming I should go with the machine...how do I fix that in MFP to show the correct calories burned?

Replies

• swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This is the case for most online calculators, I find all massively over estimate how many calories I burn. The only way to know for sure is to get a heart rate monitor - always go with the results you get from that rather than the default ones, when you add exercise you can manually add the calories burned.
  • last_time11
    last_time11 Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't know how to sorry but I totally agree with you!

I think this website over estimates the calories burned hugely!

I cooked and scrubbed the house and it says I've burned over 700 calories... no way! if I had, I'd be a skinny *kitten* by now! lol
  • mavis11
    mavis11 Posts: 5
    Options
    From a few other things I have read, I get the impression that gym equipment is set for a 'generic' person and may not reflect you and the calories you are burning. That said, I adjust my MFP calories to those on the gym equipment for consistency. Its easier to track your fitness progress i.e. higher calorie burn for same amount of time. :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just click on the box that shows your calories, delete it and plug in what the machine at the gym tells you. I never go by what MFP says. I wear my HRM at my gym and the machines there pick up my HRM and I get an accurate reading.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You just enter it manually it lets you change the value and times, but I'd be willing to bet both are wrong if your not using a hrm with a chest strap.
  • annstan12
    annstan12 Posts: 23
    Options
    I think the only thing that is accurate is running and walking. I run 5 miles, and it says 504(I actually think it should be more) . But I used to do the ellipitical for an hour, and the machine told me I burned 800 cals. There is no way I burn 800 cals on the elliptical for 60 mins, but only 500 running 50 mins. So, I think a heart rate monitor is the way to go!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yup there high so i only eat back about 70% of my burned calories
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Neither the machine or the MFP is correct, you need an HRM.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I agree that MFP overcalculates calories burned on most things. When I use the treadmill I put my weight in so I can get accurate calories burned, you should input the machine calories escpecially if you are inputting your weight because that is more accurate. Like other's said a heart rate monitor will give you the most accurate readings, I'm looking into purchasing one myself and suprinsgly they are not very expensive I found a great one at walmart.com for under $50.00.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I always go with the machine, but sometimes I've noticed that it can be less on MFP vs. the machine. I notice too that when I work out at home my treadmill vs the one at the gym is says that I've burned more than the one at the gym says.. I think MFP is trying to make us feel better lol!:happy:
  • amac85
    amac85 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes, from what I'm reading it looks like I need to get a HRM. I'm not sure how many types/brands there are, or if it even matters, but can anyone suggest a HRM that they use and like?
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM with the chest strap for the best readings
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that I love.
  • mavis11
    mavis11 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just out of interest, what HRM have people got? Cause I thought a lot of them relied on GPS and couldn't actually tell you the calories if you were at the gym...
  • amac85
    amac85 Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks EVERYONE for their input!!!