Craftbeer

Options
im a month into my weight loss, around 10lbs down so far, I walk a lot and just started running (about 15 miles a week, 3 days a week)

I'm not a big sweet fan, but I have one weakness BEER! Craftbeer to be exact, I've been drinking it for many years and um quite fond of it thank you very much! I've cut down some lately, but enjoy a nice IPA every now and then.

My question is, has anyone been pretty successful at losing weight while still enjoying Craftbeer on a occasion? Did you move away from the barleywines and stouts and stick to the lagers (I love lagers by the way) and pales?

I've heard a few people tell me they ramp up their protein intake prior to drinking (shakes). Just throwing this out there, I know beer gets some backlash when trying to lose weight.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge craft beer fan, and live in an area with many, many wonderful breweries.

Just work it into your calories and you'll be fine.
  • blueblooded173
    blueblooded173 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @PeachyPlum yeah so do I. It's just seems like I might have to plan a little bit earlier in the day if I feel like I'm going to have a beer later lol. not used to that. Craftbeer seems like ALOT of empty calories
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you don't have calories for that brew, you can usually just estimate by the proof of the beer. A pint of something like a 10% IPA will have pretty much double the calories of a 5% beer. If you can fit the calories in, go ahead. You'll enjoy it more than drinking a couple pints of Bud anyway, so it's not really empty calories. They're full of delicious.
  • kublacon
    kublacon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like craft beer and do homebrew. I've lost about 30 lbs this year while still enjoying craft beer. I just incorporate the calories into my daily allowance. I even do homebrews and estimate the calories off of other similar beers with the same alcohol percentage. There are calculators out there that can estimate calories for beer.

Like you, I love IPAs but enjoy lagers just as much. I did was switch to drinking more light commercial lagers that are low calories if I just want to have a couple beers (Heineken Light and Corona Light @ 99 Calories). I cut back on the IIPAs and view them more as an occasional treat. Hope this helps as I'm one that couldn't give up my beer!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love a good craft IPA (or Tripel) and usually I have a few each week. I just work them into my daily calories and try not to get the munchies if I have more than one.

The calories do vary quite a bit. I'm having two IPAs tonight, one is 170 and the other 270 or so calories.
  • blueblooded173
    Options
    kublacon wrote: »

Like you, I love IPAs but enjoy lagers just as much. I did was switch to drinking more light commercial lagers that are low calories if I just want to have a couple beers

I can't lie, I've had a few Bud Lights and PBR's but usually because they were bought for me, not sure if I can bring myself to buy any lol. I had a stone beer yesterday, almost 300 calories in 12oz!! If I wasn't aware is put down at least four of those! Not sure if I could save enough calories to afford to have that! Haha!! Cheers!
  • blueblooded173
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    They're full of delicious.

Haha!! Agree with you there! I'll never call them empty calories again
  • blueblooded173
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    try not to get the munchies if I have more than one.

Yeah that's the hard part! I've had popcorn. Pita and hummus, but that sometimes is to big on flavor and kills my palate. Do you suggest anything?
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll enjoy 3-4 IPAs every now and then a night and have lost 20 pounds now. I quit drinking the harder stuff, so that helped a lot. I usually try to plan them into a day where I know I have a lot more to play with calorie wise.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Since it sounds like you aren't planning on drinking them every day, I wouldn't worry about it. You still need to enjoy your life and if that's something you enjoy you shouldn't feel like you can't have it.

I also think that incorporating it now while your still trying to lose will ultimately help you once you are maintaining. If you cut it out now while losing and try to add back in on maintenance it may be more difficult to keep in moderation.
  • blueblooded173
    Options
    If you cut it out now while losing and try to add back in on maintenance it may be more difficult to keep in moderation.

I was never a binge drinker, rarely had more than 1 22oz bombe, but if I felt like I would haha! Now I'm going to really practice moderation. 2 bombers could be over 800 calories easy!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you cut it out now while losing and try to add back in on maintenance it may be more difficult to keep in moderation.

I was never a binge drinker, rarely had more than 1 22oz bombe, but if I felt like I would haha! Now I'm going to really practice moderation. 2 bombers could be over 800 calories easy!!

Sounds like you'll be fine, just be aware of the calories. I found after losing weight years ago I couldn't drink nearly as much as I did previously.