Help with adding strength training at home

Options
I'm fairly new to this. Began my journey this January... looking for tips on how to create some strength training at home. Have bands, dumbbell, & a few weights. Any suggestions would be nice!

Replies

• nortonpc
    nortonpc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a couple months. It is great. Easy, and you can grow into the more advanced stuff later.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    There is a free app called skimble that can help you structure and time your weightlifting workouts. They have hundreds of workouts in their database, which is searchable by body part, time and intensity, and you can also create your own workouts (only a limited number unless you upgrade, but it works for me at free). I found it really helpful when I first started lifting, both for new workouts, and ideas for exercises to put in my workouts when I started creating them.

If it's too complicated, I would also recommend fitness blender. They are free on YouTube and have a TON of different workouts.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Check out Youtube for bodyweight exercise videos.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

If it's too complicated, I would also recommend fitness blender. They are free on YouTube and have a TON of different workouts.
    Definitely recommend fitness blender! I just purchased their new mass-building program: for less than $10, they tell you exactly which workouts to do on which days, and also offer suggestions on how to tailor a workout to your specific goals.

• slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Love Fitness Blender!
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There is a free app called skimble that can help you structure and time your weightlifting workouts. They have hundreds of workouts in their database, which is searchable by body part, time and intensity, and you can also create your own workouts (only a limited number unless you upgrade, but it works for me at free). I found it really helpful when I first started lifting, both for new workouts, and ideas for exercises to put in my workouts when I started creating them.

Thanks for the info on Skimble. I just downloaded and it looks great! Can't wait to try it out.
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I'll check them all out. I really want to try something different to help me with my journey.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you don't have heavy dumbbells (like, up to 50 pound dumbbells), then you should start with a beginner bodyweight strength program. I suggest buying a book, like Body By You, You Are Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning. Bodyweight programs can be a little complicated, so the book is a good reference to have on hand.

In a few months, when you get to the harder bodyweight exercises, you can use dumbbells and bands to progress further on some movements. But you won't need them for a while.