Food Allergies VS Food Intolerances

Options
2»

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I would think an intolerance would be tested with an elimination type diet, adding back in one thing at a time and noting the feelings afterwards

Yes, this, talk to your doctor to set it up properly on a schedule so your symptoms can be monitored. Also tell them the moment you feel anything off, even if you're not sure. I spent much longer than I needed to going through mine, because it was one of the base foods that was supposed to be safe that was one of my problems, but I didn't speak up until we'd gone through all the others.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned, an allergy will have an allergic reaction like hives, throat swelling, anaphylaxis, etc. And an intolerance is mostly felt on the gi system, like gas, diarrhea, etc.

This is what I understand too. I had allergy testing with the grid on my back and arms, and I'm allergic to almonds and cantaloupe, among other things. I can eat almonds and don't notice anything because my other allergies (to dust, molds, and mildews) are already causing reactions in my body. I do try to avoid them when possible though. Milk, on the other hand, used to make me throw up, even as a child. I'm assuming I was lactose intolerant. I seem to have outgrown that (if that's possible) because I can have processed dairy (yogurt, cheese, ice cream) and half&half in my coffee with no issues.
    Although I don't have any food allergies I was allergic to grass pollen and a few other things.. Lucky for me I was married to a triple board certified allergist, immunologist,internal medicine doc so I did shots for five years and don't have any issues.

The one thing I would caution you on is seeing a Board certified allergist and NOT a ENT or other allergy practicing doctor. Docs get board certified in certain fields for a reason.. I see a lot of ENT docs (Trained in surgery) doing allergy because the money is great not because they know WTF their doing.. Sure they willl say they took some classes or got more training but the truth is there are better docs out there that earned the job.. My 2 cents

I had allergy shots for 2 1/2 years (I moved to another state and never bothered to start up again). I still have allergy issues, but I'm no longer taking Zyrtec, Claritin, Mucinex and Flonase for prevention of symptoms. Usually one Zyrtec a day will do. If it gets bad, I start adding other medicines. I can't imagine how bad it would have been without the shots. I second the advise for certified allergists.

many people can not process lactose properly which causes the problems with milk. Most though can handle it in limited quantities, and the items you listed that don't bother you generally have less lactose than a glass of milk would, which is probably why they don't affect you.

@auntstephie321 Thank you for this. It's never made sense to me. I just accepted that that is how it is. Your answer got me googling lactose levels in dairy and you're right. Most of the dairy that I enjoy is lower in lactose in general. And the yogurt's probiotics apparently help you process the lactose in the yogurt, so it doesn't cause as much effect as you would think. Half & half is bad, but how much am I really drinking? I like learning new things, so again...thanks!
    You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. I learned that in one of my first nutrition classes, it all made sense to me then too, I can eat Greek yogurt no problem but a glass of milk, no way
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Food allergies are something I take very seriously. My son has life-threatening food allergies. Please make no mistake, a food allergy is completely different from an intolerance. Symptoms of food allergies are usually very specific and can include GI symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea, but may also include hives and anaphylaxis (airway closure, dangerous drop in blood pressure, etc). In other words, a true food allergy isn't likely to just make you feel yucky after you eat a food.

As far as food intolerances being permanent, no I don't think they are. I have heard people say they lose food intolerances when they improve their health, also with other changes such as pregnancy (self-experienced).
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My friend's daughter is allergic to eggs. She can go into shock and die. She has an epi pen with her at all times. It is a histamine reaction. I have an intolerance to duck eggs. If I eat three or more a day, I feel very sick to my stomach with lots of stomach cramps and the runs. I do not have a histamine response. I do have a histamine response to wild sage pollen, Russian olive and tumble weed. The shots have helped, combined with Zertex. I have only used my own response to duck eggs to determine my intolerance. I can eat as many hen eggs or goose eggs as I want and I have never had the stomach cramps. Unfortunately, I have ducks and geese and geese don't lay that many eggs a year. And duck eggs taste so good!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You can be allergic to anything (hives, rashes, asthma, and anaphylaxis), or intolerant to anything (GI and other symptoms such as headache). The big offenders are what are commonly tested for and eliminated on elimination diets. I have not been through allergy testing because I don't feel I have a real allergy, except possibly to dairy but I know it isn't good for me so no need. I have done elimination diets and have been blood tested for Celiac and found positive. I also can't handle grains, beans, or most of the gluten free substitutes. Most of this I figured out on my own. One diet I used to figure it out was scdlifestyle.com/?_ga=1.259376899.848389175.1430096447?_ga=1.259376899.848389175.1430096447
    This takes it way back to basics and helps figure it all out.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    edited: double post deleted
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Valtishia wrote: »
    So how do you test for a food intolerance?

I had it done at a naturopathic clinic, but you can have it done at a blood lab with a doctor requisition.

So you have had a food intolerance (not food allergy) tested at a clinic...what did they do?

Yes.. at a naturopathic clinic. This is the one I went to... they explain the method pretty well here and you don't require a requisition from a doctor.
    http://revivelifeclinic.com/services/labs/allergies-food-intolerences/#overview

Or you can it done at a blood lab like this one... but it requires a doctor requisition.
    http://www.gamma-dynacare.com/Files/Content/MK24-FIEN - Food Intolerance Pamphlet-private clients-EN.pdf

I am not sure if either of these options are available in the U.S though. I would think they are, but since people don't seem to be aware of such a thing, I may be mistaken.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What's the difference?
    Does anyone have practical experience with this?
    I was tested for food allergies, and they were all negative.
    Soon I will add back dairy, fruit, grains and sugar into my diet, having excluded them from my diet for months. I will observe my body's reaction to each one. Is it possible to have no allergies, and yet be intolerant to a food...and is that a permanent condition?

We went through this with one of my daughters. We knew since she was a toddler something was causing her stomach issues, but blood work came back good for allergies and also parasites etc etc (pediatrician said the parasite thing is way more common than people want to think about lol). She was labeled with IBS at that time. Fast forward-as she got older she was better able to verbalize what was going on. We were able to pin it down to a food source, and dairy seemed to be a trigger (ice cream and milk sent her running to the bathroom). but to confirm it wasn't multiple things we did get the scratch test done last year (she's 10). Everything came back negative for a full blown allergy, but with her symptoms the allergist labeled her with being lactose intolerant. We've eliminated almost all dairy for her, except for yogurt and American cheese because those two things don't trigger her issues for some reason. It's been a night and day difference-her stomach issues have totally cleared up :) And yes, unfortunately the allergist told us this is a permanent thing that she'll have to deal with for the rest of her life. But knowing what the trigger is, such a relief and we can work around it!
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    So how do you test for a food intolerance?
    Valtishia wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    An allergen is something that causes your body to release histamine. It's a pretty specific category, though some people throw it around more casually than it is actually defined. You can have a non-allergen sensitivity. There are autoimmune disorders that go along with some of them (Celiac the most well known). For some people it's due to having an organ removed, or insulin resistance.

THIS!!! And you can actually be tested for food intolerances. After having my daughter, I appeared to have an issue with gluten. I had no idea what was going on, so I took dairy out of my diet for a period and found no difference. I figured gluten was another common one, so I cut it out of my diet and found it helped tremendously. I still had some issues, but that alone gave me a tremendous amount of relief. I ate this way for a long time but finally opted to be tested to see if it was indeed gluten or just specifically wheat. It turns out it was all the gluten containing grains, soy, yeast, msg (these 4 were the worst offenders), some others and a whole load of additive/preservatives. All fruits and veggies were clear, dairy (except those with the additives/preservatives that I don't tolerate well), nuts, and meat. A few fish and seafood was on the bad list but most were okay. So I changed my diet.

Fast forward to now!! I rarely ever have stomach problems now. And if I do, it is normally because someone else cooked for me and wasn't careful about cross contamination. Or my hubby gives me a big ol' kiss after eating a bagel... oops!

For lactose intolerance there's what's called a hydrogen breathe tear that tests if your digesting the sugars correctly