dessert ideas for a bbq

Options
fry5150
fry5150 Posts: 34 Member
I have been given dessert duties for a BBQ and have no idea what to bring. What are some good low calorie ideas?

Replies

• crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit. It other people are not on a diet, include whip cream as a topping to make it more decadent. Let popeople put their own on. Angel food cake has lots of sugar, but sliced thin can be topped with the fruit and whipped cream.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Second the fresh fruit! Also, you could take some large pieces of fresh pineapple and cook them on the grill after the main course is done. You just cook them until the outside is a bit brown and caramelized, then sprinkle with a little cinnamon - yum!
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stuff some dark chocolate & nuts into bananas, dried fruit and/or marshmallows too if you want, splash with a bit of dark rum, wrap them in foil & stick them on the BBQ. Bring some cream/ice cream along for other people? (or yourself, if you want).
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Build your own shortcake bar. Bring fruit, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries etc. some sliced pound cake and whipped cream maybe chocolate sauce. And let people build their own dessert. You can eat whatever fits your calorie goals and others don't get annoyed that you only brought fruit for dessert.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love schaum tortes Egg whites, a bit of sugar, fresh berries, and whipped cream (or reduced calorie Cool Whip)

to make the meringues:
    6 egg whites
    2 c. granulated sugar
    1 tsp. cream of tartar
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). As the peaks begin to form, add vanilla.
    Make twelve meringues on greased and floured cookie sheets. Using back of a metal spoon to build up sides. (I prefer ungreased parchment paper on a cookie sheet)

Bake in a preheated 275°F oven for 50 minutes. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven with door closed for at least 1 hour. Loosen meringues from cookie sheets before they are cold.
  • beankid
    beankid Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I bake funfetti cupcakes (1 box for 20 cupcakes) and a teaspoon of icing on each one, it comes out to 166cals per cupcake.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    take some watermelon and a DQ ice cream cake, guaranteed to please the crowd.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A fruit salad with a variety of nicely coloured fruits is always a hit.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love grilling fruit on the bbq, especially pineapple and stonefruits work really well. You could also slice open a banana (peel on), fill with a little pb/dark chocolate, wrap in silverfoil and grill that. And otherwise think quality over quantities: you really do not need 15 marshmallows and 2 won't kill you.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like it when desserts are already portioned out into single servings so it is easier for me to grab one serving as opposed to scooping something out and eyeballing it.

Not sure what your storage space would be like, but homemade popsicles of any kind (I like cherry lime), angel food cupcakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream frosting, lemon pie with low fat graham cracker crust, fruit kebabs with a chocolate dip, variations of s'mores (I like banana, peanut butter and marshmallow or strawberry, nutella and marshmallow), etc. I love checking pinterest for this kind of stuff. So many awesome ideas.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Strawberries drizzled with dark chocolate. I have also seem some great low calorie calorie homemade marshmallow recipes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd make a big fruit salad, and brownies and/or mini cheesecakes for the less calorie-conscious people.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fruit kabobs are fun....provide some fruity dips.

"Make your own" trifle desert. Cake & brownie squares, cut up fruit, puddings and or whipped topping.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    We always make fruit kebabs with marshmallows on the skewers too and hold them over the BBQ campfire-style. Absolutely lovely!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion for fruit with pound cake or angel food cake and whipped cream. I made a trifle last year with cubed pound cake, vanilla flavored cool whip, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, and lemon curd. It was really tasty.

I've also made a version of this:
    raspberrymangoicecreamcake-046.jpg

And it is always a huge hit, lots of ways to vary it.

http://www.shutterbean.com/2014/raspberry-mango-ice-cream-cake/

• evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Cut the top off an angel food cake, Hollow it out, fill with your favorite sherbert....freeze and before serving top with fat free cool whip...the sherbert is a nice cool surprise when you slice it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Grilled fruit - pineapples or peaches are especially good grilled. Add a spinkle of brown sugar and/or a small scoop of vanilla ice cream for those who aren't dieting.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pineapple, just sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on it, and grill them. So good!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is great and it's gluten free if you have any guests with an allergy.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/03/30/greek-yogurt-fruit-tart/

You can also just take fixings for smores if kids will be there. Nothing is better than a smore.

I also love to make angel food cake which is super low calorie. I just top with a lemon glaze and some blueberries. Message me if you want the recipe. I'll dig it out when I get home from work.