A real man should eat his crocodile! Unusual food you eat:)

Options
2»

Replies

• mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thankfully there is an African butchers local to where my wife works that sell all the exotic meats that have been listed, and a LOT cheaper than the online "musclefood" companies do!

Tesco (supermarket in the UK)sell ostrich fillet steaks at a reasonable price of £4.99 per 250g (compared to online suppliers selling at £3.49 per 125g!). The Tesco ones are vacuum packed as well so have a good shelf life in the fridge.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wanna try shark!

My Dad caught a shark on the beach when I was a kid, but he didn't feel like preparing it to eat so he gave it to some people who were watching.

But then I just remembered while typing this, I HAVE tried shark and it was delicious.

And there I was, having gone my entire life thinking that sharks catch you.

Anyway, so neat, these meats sound delish! I’ve only had bison and bear.

But also (gird your loins) pig brain, cow stomach (tripe), and bull/cow testicles. These were all traditional foods where I grew up. Brain is my favourite :blush: [insert Hannibal Lecter laugh here]
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider venison, bison and buffalo exotic as we hunt or buy them from the local farm meat place often. I woud like to try crocodile now after everyone liking it so much, and I really like goats meat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dinuguan-Laman-Loob_zpsxcpeifnk.jpgDINAGUAN

balut.jpg
    BALUT

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is exotic, especially since there are people from all over the world on this site? I am in Europe and live close to the see, so from the things I have seen listed here for example, we have squid at least once a month, some times more often, same as other seafood. Also shark is not unusual for me, just a bit on the expensive side for fish. Same for ostrich, water buffalo, wild boar and venison, these are meats I see regulalry at the butcher's and occasionally buy, but the price is the main issue, compared e.g. to beef and pork. On the other hand, I have never seen crocodile meat.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    So being from Louisiana, I have eaten several meats indigenous to the swamp including (but not limited to) alligator, frog, and crawfish (the usuals). But one of my favorites is nutria. They are related to the beaver and quite prevalent (and a nuisance), but when roasted up with salt and black pepper, are quite amazingly delicious.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've tried Beondegi when I was in Korea which is pretty much silk worm pupae. I think I had one try before quitting and deciding it wasn't my thing.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We can buy bison and buffalo meat at our local grocery store occasionally. I also like goat (especially in curry) but that is not particularly exotic.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    So being from Louisiana, I have eaten several meats indigenous to the swamp including (but not limited to) alligator, frog, and crawfish (the usuals). But one of my favorites is nutria. They are related to the beaver and quite prevalent (and a nuisance), but when roasted up with salt and black pepper, are quite amazingly delicious.

I've never been to Louisiana but I have this strong desire to go now. I love zydeco music. I want to go hear a great zydeco band and drink and eat and not be in NYC.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Can you recommend anywhere in the Hammond(ish) area in which I could get nutria? I've never tried it, but I've heard it's good.

I enjoy alligator, crawfish, venison, quail, and rabbit. I've had elk and squirrel and enjoyed both, but they aren't part of my usual diet. I'm not sure that any of those are "exotic," but they're not part of the average American's meal plan. ;)

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

Can you recommend anywhere in the Hammond(ish) area in which I could get nutria? I've never tried it, but I've heard it's good.

I enjoy alligator, crawfish, venison, quail, and rabbit. I've had elk and squirrel and enjoyed both, but they aren't part of my usual diet. I'm not sure that any of those are "exotic," but they're not part of the average American's meal plan. ;)

Can't say that I do. Where I grew up (literally an island surrounded by swamplands) we had local acces to "acquiring" the meat ourselves or through friends. Never got to Hammond much, so don't know of any purveyors...that was too far north for me. :D
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Can't say that I do. Where I grew up (literally an island surrounded by swamplands) we had local acces to "acquiring" the meat ourselves or through friends. Never got to Hammond much, so don't know of any purveyors...that was too far north for me. :D

Bummer. Well, if you can recommend a way for me to try it, save for trapping the nutria myself, can you PM me? I travel a fair bit during the summer and could probably make it to the Cajun Riviera or the surrounding area sometime during that time. :)

Oh, again, not too sure it's "exotic," but we grow Jerusalem artichokes in the garden and have some ground nut started (apios americana).
  • madinaaa2015
    madinaaa2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was born in Kazakhstan and people there love eating horses and drink horse/camel milk. Not that often though, only for holidays. Have Korean relatives from mother's side, they make delicious meals of dogs. Have eaten a dog once in my life, when I was 5, found out it was a dog after the dinner. That was a shock for me.
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not a guy, but have had wood chuck, rabbit, duck, goose, elk, deer, caribou, buffalo, squid, assorted clams, probably more. I have ducks...but will not eat balut, but will eat salted eggs.

The trick I have found with wild elk and deer is to soak it in salt water to get rid of the gamey taste. As we freeze most, that is easy to do with thawing. Love liver, kidneys, heart and gizzards. My husband is sure to bring those organs home when he hunts. Also make my own scrap!e as I can't buy it this side of the country.