Breasts and Body Fat.

Options
Does anyone know how breast size effects body fat?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think that is the other way around.
  • wooisebart
    wooisebart Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh an ok amount, but my body fat is really high, but I have big boobs so idk.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your breast size is largely genetics. If you are overweight, they will pack on added fat (just like anywhere else on your body) but if you are predisposed to have big boobs.... thats what you will have
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your boobs are fat so they'll make your bf% higher than if you had none. If you're trying to lose fat, you'll lose fat from your boobs.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I think, if I correctly understood the radiologist, the amount of fat and other tissue stored in your breasts is genetically determined. Some breast tissue is quite dense; others have semi-dense, and some have most of their breast mass composed of fat (that's what they told me at the mammogram place, complete with pamphlet lol). Breast size/density doesn't seem to have all that much relation to the fat on the rest of your body, except that as you lose or gain in the rest of your body, you will also lose or gain in the breasts.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Breasts are composed of glandular and fat tissue. Dense breasts have more glandular tissue, but not necessarily more than fat tissue. It's individual. I wouldn't look to your breasts for a high body fat %.

FWIW, I'm around a 36F. So, I know how it feels. My doc did say that I had very dense tissue. I'm just ignoring their impact on my overall body composition in relation to my goal BF%.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If I correctly understand the question.........

The fat from your breasts won't have a large impact on your total body fat %.
  • wooisebart
    wooisebart Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Deep inside I really was hoping it did effect it..... Oh well.
  • veganvampkitty
    veganvampkitty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm quite small and usually shrink a LOT in the chest when I lose weight. I think it's definitely got a genetic side to it but is also impacted on by gaining/losing weight.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of females lose weight and move to a much smaller bra size. Don't give up hope.

• KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight I always lose it in my boobs too.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Breasts in ovulating women are generally made of 60% breast tissue (glandular & connective etc.) and 40% body fat. This percentage is different after menopauce as the mount of breats tissue decreases.

So if you lose body fat- you will lose body fat in your breasts too.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight I always lose it in my boobs too.

First... I always lose boobs first.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wooisebart wrote: »
    Does anyone know how breast size effects body fat?

I would've thought that it does effect Body Fat!
    Along with having a bigger Bum/Hips.....isn't this the main reason women (generally) have more Body Fat than Men?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's a chart, they don't weigh as much as you think they do...
    http://www.kdwb.com/onair/the-dave-ryan-show-53769/what-your-boobs-should-weigh-based-on-bra-size-12418095/

Even my 32D's are two lbs total. Compare your breast weight with your body weight and you will see that it's pretty insignificant in a 'fat loss' way.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,937 Member
    Options
    There is a reason why up to 33% body fat is considered acceptable for females, whereas the comparable figure for males is 25%
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm normal, but I've always, ALWAYS been a B cup. Fat or skinny, the only difference in my bra has been the band size. I know that my 36B was supposedly equal to a 34C, but it never worked that way for me. I'm currently a 30B, and I find I can't wear a 32A without seriously constricting my girls. *shrug*
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Genetics determines the min breast size.
    Bf% determines the max.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    There is a reason why up to 33% body fat is considered acceptable for females, whereas the comparable figure for males is 25%

It's not all boobs. The effect is 1-3% *at most* of body fat is in the breasts.
    The math is relatively easy: say 4lb chest @ 40%fat = 1.6 lbs of fat. For a woman weighing 150lbs that's 1% of body weight.