Food Addiction

Options
I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty sure I am addicted to food. I think about it constantly and even when I try my hardest to eat healthy and eat a normal amount, a thought of brownies or cookies will pop in my head and then I can't get that thought out of my head until I eat them. Once that starts I keep eating and eating and eating. I am a compulsive overeater. I need help. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    Same boat here
  • sarcus
    sarcus Posts: 3
    Options
    Simple advice but it works for me - dont buy it then you can't eat it. Stock up on healthy snacks you will eat. I am filling the snacking / binging void with rice cakes / fruit / vegetables (particularly beetroot, raw carrot & celery). It took me a week or so to really get over the pangs but find it a bit easier in the knowledge that I can open the fridge and find something I can snack on without feeling guilty. Good luck x
  • bug2002
    bug2002 Posts: 2
    Options
    I can so relate to this !! What I have to do is practie the same principales I practice in other areas of my life with food and it isnt easy... If you are interested in some support send a personal message and I can share with you what works for me....
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Im not downplaying food as an addiction but usually food is a substitute for other issues in your life. So I would examine other aspects of your life and see if there is anything you can change or fix and you will be suprised how eating resolves itself.
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My best advise is just don't have those things in the house at all!! Also, keep going with mfp, it really helps, and log your food before you eat it, so you can remind yourself just how many calories it is. Get some mfp friends to help motivate you, and make sure they can see your diary, so you know your friends are going to see all those brownies!!!
    Good luck!!
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I crave chocolate, what I try to do is eat a fibre one bar (chocolate) or something to take the edge off but low calorie. Oreo thins (christies)...chocolate milk syrup in my coffee....teaspoon of hot chocolate mix in my coffee......ummmm melted peanut butter in a bowl and ill dip rice cakes or stir in a teaspoon of PB into oatmeal.....I have tried lots hahah.....but I think it is a struggle for most!

I allow myself to have a bad day once a week as well, it helps me stay on track as well. That way I know I can have that chocolate bar....in two more days and whatever it may be!

Hope that helps!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    There's a group called "Food Addicts In Recovery Anonymous" that is very effective. It's interesting when you go to their meetings, because there are so many thin people in the room. The program requires a lot of committment, but if you are addicted to overeating, these people can help. Here's the website in case you're interested:
    www.foodaddicts.org

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Im not downplaying food as an addiction but usually food is a substitute for other issues in your life. So I would examine other aspects of your life and see if there is anything you can change or fix and you will be suprised how eating resolves itself.

well said!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It's a battle of wills some days. And other days its a physical craving. The thing is, once you eat the sugary stuff, the more you will crave it!! Biological fact. So, if you can cut out the sugar, you will do much better. I know its a habit too, so that's when the will power comes in.

So, start off with a non sugary breakfast. Go for complex carbs (wholemeal toast) with protein (eggs).

Repeat for lunch - add veg.

Repeat for dinner - add lots of veg.

Take one meal at a time!

I am a total chocaholic, which is why I can't eat the stuff when I'm trying to lose weight. But I do substitute with dark choc or low calorie subs.

Like any addiction, it takes conscious effort and determination. Nobody says its easy tho! :wink:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tbacc
    tbacc Posts: 3
    Options
    An addiction to food is just like any other addiction eg. smoking, drinking. It is a MENTAL and PHYSICAL attachment. Start by asking yourself... "I eat..
    - For pleasure
    - Because of my emotions
    - For comfort
    - Because I'm attached to food
    - Because I lack self control

These are just some things to think about.. once you've narrowed down the source to your problem, it'll be easier to focus in on it and work on setting a goal for yourself. Gain a knowledge to what triggers your cravings. Food addictions are serious but can be overcome. Maybe try to consult a nutritionist or a counselor. Ask a lot of questions and don't be ashamed.. their are a lot of great people here that can help you!
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    HYPNOTHERAPY! Seriously, it may help you in getting things in to perspective. It really worked for me, I ended up losing 24lbs after listening to some suggestions.
    I had a real issue with food wastage. I would NEVER allow any food to go to waste, so I'd be eating my food and food off my bf's plate.. that's completely stopped now. :) Plus, my hypnotherapist told me that the food will either get wasted in the bin, or on my waistline and that no matter how much I stuff my face, it wont stop world hunger (I thought I had to eat absolutely everything from my plate because of starving people in the world). That kind of put it all in to perspective for me. lol
    Either way, it really helped. Maybe give that a go?
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    An addiction to food is just like any other addiction eg. smoking, drinking. It is a MENTAL and PHYSICAL attachment. Start by asking yourself... "I eat..
    - For pleasure
    - Because of my emotions
    - For comfort
    - Because I'm attached to food
    - Because I lack self control

These are just some things to think about.. once you've narrowed down the source to your problem, it'll be easier to focus in on it and work on setting a goal for yourself. Gain a knowledge to what triggers your cravings. Food addictions are serious but can be overcome. Maybe try to consult a nutritionist or a counselor. Ask a lot of questions and don't be ashamed.. their are a lot of great people here that can help you!

Food does not have addictive must have properties like alcohol or nicotine. That doesn't mean you can't become an obsessive/compuslive eater which is not a physical addiction. Medical society just has to give everybody an excuse to have a chronic problem is all.that they can use to make excuses for a lack of self discipline. I love great food but i would rather ride my Harley then eat a Big Mac any day, any time. Eat to live, don't live to eat.
  • tbacc
    tbacc Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I never mentioned that food had addictive properties.. I NEVER once mentioned anything about a "chemical addiction" I apologize if it wasn't well stated but I do believe that mind power and self control is the key to overcoming this problem. I should have chosen better examples such as.. an addiction to Facebook, Video games, Shopping. Again, I'm sorry if this was offensive.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I never mentioned that food had addictive properties.. I NEVER once mentioned anything about a "chemical addiction" I apologize if it wasn't well stated but I do believe that mind power and self control is the key to overcoming this problem. I should have chosen better examples such as.. an addiction to Facebook, Video games, Shopping. Again, I'm sorry if this was offensive.
    Actually, addictions can have what many refer to as a "psychological" component. More recent research shows that chemical reactions in the brain that are seen with addictions that don't have a physical component (like food, sex, gambling, etc) are identical to the brain patterns seen with physical addiction (like cocaine, nicotine, prescription drugs, etc). Also, there is some work looking at whether certain sugars cause a chemical reaction that creates brain changes that lead to addictive behaviors.

Not to mentioin genetic influences, which we're only beginning to understand.

So, you can chose to say that it's just a matter of lousy will power, but it seems that's likely oversimplification.