Not so new but have no friends lol

Options
GemmySB
GemmySB Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, only just got round to having a look at the community pages! Anyone else doing 5:2?

Replies

• GemmySB
    Options
    Ok I obvs have no idea what I'm doing because what I wrote out is not appearing apart from Hi all lol! Anyone else doing 5:2?
  • Miliahlu
    Miliahlu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have heard of 5:2 I'm keen on doing it , how is t going , how r the result? I'm also new in browsing the com page pls tell me how do I send frnd requests
  • ThePinkPanther83
    ThePinkPanther83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What's 5:2? Don't think I've heard of that particular phrase. :)
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Never tried it. Don't know much about it, except you fast 2 out of 7 days? Is that right? Tell us more?
  • GemmySB
    Options
    5:2 is where you fast 2 days a week, only having 500 calories & eat normally the other 5. I've been doing it since the 9th of March & lost 19 pounds so far, I love it!
  • jobarton999
    jobarton999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been using myfitnesspal to log foods for a while but only just found community page too!!!
  • johnc24
    johnc24 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Fasting is not going to work, I am new to this I grant you but fooling your body into thinking its shutting down will only serve for it to employ a higher defence mechanism in protecting you and ultimately conserve fat imho.

From what I have learned a consistent approach to training (2/3 times per week) plus careful monitoring of food in v energy expenditure will see results. At the most basic level to lose weight your calories in must not exceed your basal rate plus excercise. For example if your basal rate is 1500kcal and you excercise burns 500kcal then technically you must eat less than 2000kcal to see weight loss but not by a large margin.say 1700-1800 kcal and over time the change will come. Clean eating of course, not just any old calories. Hope this helps. I am a newbie also so only my opinion, perhaps others disagree with this approach but it's working for me.
  • ThePinkPanther83
    ThePinkPanther83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh, that sounds interesting, I'll look into that. I like trying new methods of weight loss to see what works best for me. :)
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    johnc24 wrote: »
    Fasting is not going to work, I am new to this I grant you but fooling your body into thinking its shutting down will only serve for it to employ a higher defence mechanism in protecting you and ultimately conserve fat imho.

From what I have learned a consistent approach to training (2/3 times per week) plus careful monitoring of food in v energy expenditure will see results. At the most basic level to lose weight your calories in must not exceed your basal rate plus excercise. For example if your basal rate is 1500kcal and you excercise burns 500kcal then technically you must eat less than 2000kcal to see weight loss but not by a large margin.say 1700-1800 kcal and over time the change will come. Clean eating of course, not just any old calories. Hope this helps. I am a newbie also so only my opinion, perhaps others disagree with this approach but it's working for me.

True this... I have to admit thought, I work out everyday...till my body tells me ok not today... but you're right.. this 5:2 diet in the long term only damages the liver.
  • GemmySB
    Options
    The 5:2 Diet is a legitimate healthy eating lifestyle choice not a fasting fad, my body does not think it is shutting down. The two days I have 500 calories I certainly don't starve myself, I make healthy choices to allow me to have a very good dinner. Since starting this in March I have lost 19 pounds & actually increased my body muscle mass & reduced my body fat percentage by 6%.
    I'm glad you've found something that works for you but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing :)
  • GemmySB
    Options
    Hi, I've been using myfitnesspal to log foods for a while but only just found community page too!!!

We've been too busy being good & healthy! At least we're being social now lol! :)

• swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    johnc24 wrote: »

No. She has found a way that works for her, and your approach works for you. The body does not go into "starvation mode." This is a myth. Plus if she's eating regularly the other days her calorie deficit is very reasonable. To each their own:-) Any way you get into a calorie deficit (and remain happy with it) is the right way IMO. I wouldn't be able to fast that long but if it's working for you OP then that's great! Congrats on the 19 lb loss so far.
  • johnc24
    johnc24 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Absolutely congratulations to her if it works, I was only going on the assumption that it was a two day fast completely of nothing. I did not know what the 5/2 technique was, I was basing it off what someone else commented on what they too thought it was. As I said I am a newbie and here to learn. Everybody has a method that is why we are all unique.

Best of to luck to everyone regardless of what method is working for you
  • msflynnbly
    msflynnbly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My first fast Tues. Tried before but failed. Im just piling on the weight and need to do something! X
  • GemmySB
    Options
    mrsleak76 wrote: »
    My first fast Tues. Tried before but failed. Im just piling on the weight and need to do something! X

You can do it! The first few fasts can be a bit tough but once you get in to the swing of it you'll be fine! Read up on 5:2 before Tues so you have snack ideas & your main meal planned, it's much easier if you know what you're having for dinner. Make sure you drink plenty of water too :)
  • lowerh22
    lowerh22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been on 5:2 since January and alongside eating well and workouts have lost 3stone. It's come off 1-3lb per week and I never cut any food groups or have any restrictions on what I eat.

Well done on your new way of life :)
  • GemmySB
    Options
    Wow well done! 3 stone off is amazing! Thank you :) I feel so much better in the short time I've been doing it, can't wait to see the results in the next few months! :)