Lift the amount of weight that you've lost

Options
I've lost 71.2 lbs in 7 months. Yesterday I had my trainer place 70lbs on the rack, and I placed it on my back. Oh man! How was I carrying that around all the time? No matter the amount you've lost, pick up something that is the same, and really look how far you've come. At weight watchers last year they had us lift a can that was 0.4 oz, so that even if we didn't reach a whole pound, we could feel what we did lose. I've learned through this journey that I can often become fixated on what I have left, as opposed to what I have accomplished.

Hopefully this will help someone. Good luck on your journey!!

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! From my heaviest ever, to now...I've lost just under 25lbs. I have a single 25lb weight upstairs that I heft just to remind me.

Even that small amount is pretty substantial when taken out of context!

Cris
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I did this yesterday :) I'm at 32.5 pounds which is roughly a cinderblock!!
  • kimmyr1989
    kimmyr1989 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi! I have lost 24kg equivalent to 52lbs afew weeks back I picked up a bag of tile adhesive which was 20kg and could barely even lift it!No wonder I was having such a hard time exercising and had so many other issues :) Keep up the great work!

Kim
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great thinking, love the part about not losing a whole pound but recognizing that you still lost something! Makes me feel better about that .5 on the scale!
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    Such a great idea!

I've lost 49 pounds since I started my lifestyle change and carried my son (who weighs 50 lbs.) upstairs just the other day. Whew! It was tough carrying him and I wondered, how in the heck did I carry this weight around with me all this time?
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Hahaha... I lift my lil 7lb dumbbell every morning. It's not much... but I'll take it. ;}
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! Thanks for posting this!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    All I have to do is pick up a 40 pound bag of dog food. Amazing!
  • buccsgirl78
    buccsgirl78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I feel like a pound isn't that much... take a pound of butter and hold it in your hand., Or If you don't think 10 lbs is that much.. Hold a 10 lb bag of potatoes. You will be amazed. :)
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how we can lug this extra weight around and not be aware of the work involved? I carry my old, arthritic dog up and down the steps and she's 40 pounds. I'm looking at losing a total of two of her, but I'm down 20# so far all total before and since MFP. I had to laugh at this post because I just ran up the steps carrying her just to see if I could do it, and I can - chalk that one up to exercising when I wasn't doing that before :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have some 10 lb and 5 lb handweights that I was carrying around to see the difference. Even my measly 14 lb loss seems huge for me :)
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    Love it!
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    I LOVE THIS...it's fantastic!

i've lost 33 pounds so it'll be interesting for sure.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had an instructor once suggest that we should grab a stick of butter and realize that it represented a quarter pound of pure fat. It really helped me put it in perspective. A quarter pound lost is like losing a stick of butter. Every little stick adds up.
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Options
    I love doing this! It really is an eye opener and makes me stop getting discouraged when the scale slows down, I take bodypump at my gym and I usually put 50 lbs on the bar for squats and lunges - I agree with you, how did I function at my heaviest?

Good Job!!!
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    I had an instructor once suggest that we should grab a stick of butter and realize that it represented a quarter pound of pure fat. It really helped me put it in perspective. A quarter pound lost is like losing a stick of butter. Every little stick adds up.
    Huh... Never thought of that.
  • kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!!
  • jlmelton0509
    jlmelton0509 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs, which just happens to be the weight of my 2 yr old daughter. When I pick her up, it blows my mind that I used to carry that weight around all the time!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    46 pounds, more than the weight of my 6 year old daughter, when I pick her up I almost die. IDK how I walked around like that all the time!!!!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I did that with weights last time I went to target and walked up and down the aisle. It was quite an eye opener and explains why I feel so much better all the time now.

Next time I am at the store I am going to look at 50 packages of butter to really be amazed at what I have lost.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!