New - and feeling disheartened

Options
Hi All,

I joined MFP as I finally took the plunge and joined up to the gym this year.....a major thing for me as I have body dysmorphia. I didn't join to lose weight, I'm happy to maintain.

I've now been going for 8 weeks and have put on 7lbs :'( My skinny jeans are a no go as they don't go above my thighs :s and it's driving me nuts. Hubby says not to worry, muscle weighs more than fat but it's a bit of a downer.

I haven't really worked out since having the kids 15 years ago and in my youth I was very sporty and muscular - but then the dysmorphia hit and a little bit of anorexia. My weight dropped to 7st 4 but age, a sedentary job and illness got me back up to around the 9st mark.

Since starting at the gym I do Body Pump, Hiit and Legs Bums and Tums classes - but I don't want to end up hugely muscular, just toned.

My diet is healthy, although I rarely hit my target calories but I've put this down to years of missing meals and dodgy eating habits.........I guess I'm just bummed I've put on weight and gone up a size.

Any advice would be appreciated as I do like my me time in the gym away from the teens - but I'm worried I'm just going to keep bulking out.

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just remember the gym won't bulk you up if you don't eat in excess, you can't generally build lots of muscle from a calorie deficit, don't get too hung up on the scales, the mirror is your biggest friend ;)
  • AgentCyanide
    AgentCyanide Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you struggle with body dysmorphia, that must be tough.

It sounds like you have a super supportive hubby which is great :) and it sounds like you're a healthy weight.

When I joined the gym many moons ago I put on at first too. It was muscle building then I lost a load of fat all at once. Try not to be disheartened and keep at it! Measurements helped me remind myself I was making progress even when the scaled said otherwise..

• cluckyhen0
    cluckyhen0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

The dysmorphia is a massive pain in the butt Agent - it's always there, sometimes it tries to bite and get a hold of me again but I tend to ignore it and know that what I see isn't what other people see (it doesn't help that all our classes are in front of mirrors).

I've just told the hubster I need to throw the scales out. I did, wisely I think, take a picture on my first day of starting my journey - and have then taken them every 3 weeks after - so I can see a difference.....my butt is further north, I actually have a waistline appearing, my spare tyre is deflating.....and my boobs look better (I can physically see a difference in my orange peel too, there is much less of it) so I guess I just have to wait and see if my thighs slim down once the fat has gone so that I can get back in my favourite jeans - or change the style of my jeans.
  • StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good luck you can do it :)
  • TrishyWishy91478
    TrishyWishy91478 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I would agree - throw the damn scales out. If you really need to weigh yourself, do it at the gym. My biggest advice, because I too had the same problem - my personal trainer suggested, cardio. Cardio. Cardio. It gets rid of the fat so the muscle isn't so bulky.

Also, things shift as you start working out. Deep breaths, you go this.