Does strength training make u gain?

i ask this bc I started mfp 3 weeks ago. Doing 1700 calories a day. I joined a gym and go 4 days a week. I do strength training on various machines with weights, then abdominal crunches, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.2 mph. I lost 4 pounds the first week then gained about .4 the second week and another .2 gain this week. I feel like I am going backwards. I am 5'5" and 205 lbs. please tell me what I am doing wrong

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Your doing everything right from what you've said in your post!

When you start a new exercise program (esp strength training) alot of people temporarily gain water weight that masks any weightloss, please don't panic and stay positive!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Patriots96 wrote: »
    i ask this bc I started mfp 3 weeks ago. Doing 1700 calories a day. I joined a gym and go 4 days a week. I do strength training on various machines with weights, then abdominal crunches, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.2 mph. I lost 4 pounds the first week then gained about .4 the second week and another .2 gain this week. I feel like I am going backwards. I am 5'5" and 205 lbs. please tell me what I am doing wrong

As you can vary in weight 4 - pounds in a day .2 weight gain is negliable. Follow the trends not the absolute number. As above when you start you will also start to retain water for a brief period it will level itself out after a while. Don't panic keep doing what your doing and you'll get there. Good luck
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Your doing everything right from what you've said in your post!

When you start a new exercise program (esp strength training) alot of people temporarily gain water weight that masks any weightloss, please don't panic and stay positive!

Agreed!! This still happens to me when I change up my program.
  • ashie0914
    ashie0914 Posts: 3 Member
    I am going through the same thing, I'm on my third week of strength training and have lost .1 kg in that time. I keep looking at the Health benefits but it would be nice to start seeing a change on the scale (although I have lost 1 inch around waist)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    although I have lost 1 inch around waist
    I'd take that over losing kgs any day! :smiley:
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Strength training actually causes your to burn MORE calories! So keep it up. You will not get huge, you'll get lean. Right now, your body is adjusting to the strength training...let it run its course. Good luck!