Serious Sugar cravings how do you deal with it?

Options
Well I am on day 2 of my diet. Things are going well logging all my food, signed up for every challenge imaginable but the sugar keeps calling my name. Cookies and candy, candy and cookies. Well you get the point. I have not derailed yet but any smart and healthy tips out there? At what point does it not feel so intense? Help!!!

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Have some and make sure they fit in your daily calories goal
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If I want some I have it and just make sure like the other poster said it fits into my calorie range, but if you're totally trying not to eat those things for the time being I chew sugar free fruit flavored gum, eat a piece of fruit, I eat 10 almonds, eat a pack of sweetened oatmeal it's healthy and taste like dessert. Sugar free jello or pudding or go for the protein like cheese sticks with a slice of ham or turkey, lots of options. My sweet tooth has actually finally subsided after a very long time though, I don't want 75 percent of the junk I used to want, I will still have the occassional ice cream or slice of pie but it's rare. And I only eat the desserts I like the most and feel are worth my calories being lost to it and the extra potential exercise if it takes me over my range for the day. Keep up the good work, you can do this one meal at a time :)
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also congrats on being on day 2 of your lifestyle change/diet you can do this :)
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am an ALL or NOTHING type of person when it comes to the sweets. If i have them , i will want and have them every day. Its a vicious cycle for me. I am not able to stop at one of anything in that category. For a while there i was eating a cupcake every single day. Not to mention crazy amounts of chocolate. I decided that March 1st i was giving it up ....mainly because i know it doesent make me feel well and i know it causes havoc in my body. I had the binge from hell the night before and i went and bought a ton of fruit and that is how i kicked my sugar habit. I made sure i ate fruit ( mostly clementines , bananas and pineapple because i love them) several times a day. After the first week or two the cravings went a way. Its two months later and now i can make these things, buy them for my husband sit there while he eats them and not even feel tempted. I also found some chocolate protein bars i love so when i really want something yummy i have one of those. It takes dedication to getting yourself off of it.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have eaten chocolate every day for the past 3 months and lost 30 pounds. :) I just eat my handful of m&ms, log it, and move on! The first few days were rough because I was eating so much less sugar than normal but I didn't deprive myself. I can easily say I used to be that "all or nothing" person with sugar but MFP taught me that it doesn't have to be that way.
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    TashuaC wrote: »
    Well I am on day 2 of my diet. Things are going well logging all my food, signed up for every challenge imaginable but the sugar keeps calling my name. Cookies and candy, candy and cookies. Well you get the point. I have not derailed yet but any smart and healthy tips out there? At what point does it not feel so intense? Help!!!

I'm trying to eat "healthy" sweets while staying within my calorie limits. Look up Walnut Pitted Dates Brownie Ball recipe online. A wee bit calorie dense but absolutely awesome when frozen!
  • 2manypushups
    2manypushups Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Cut out all sugar, no cheat! Instead eat fruit. You will find in about a week or 2 you wont need it and if you have it, it will make you feel sick. You can do it, eat those fruits!
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've spent most of my life eating mostly chocolate and cake! Now I try to eat fruit or yoghurt or even just a bit of Nutella to try and fight my cravings.. Not having anything tempting at home helps tho. I know when you're out and about it's hard to resist, just to try to ask yourself - which you want more, a sexy body or a bar of chocolate?
    You're not alone in the struggle :smile:
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Personally for me I tend to stick to my diet better if I don't eat them. If I do, it's only when someone else buys them for me. I don't keep them in the house and I don't buy them. Later, after a few days of saying no, the cravings decrease a lot for me.

The only sugar I get in in the form of "candy" is from the mints I eat after my meals. They're hard so they take a while to dissolve, and the minty taste is so strong it makes my cravings go away.

Just my personal experience.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eat something protein-y, like greek yoghurt or nuts. Protein does a great job of stabilising blood sugar levels and removing the body's craving. This leaves you with the psychological craving to deal with. I suggest exercise, or some other absorbing activity to take your mind off the craving, if it's a psychological thing :)
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When you do allow the sweets in your calorie count just make sure to enjoy them. Insted of scarfing down a piece of chocolate or a cookie just eat slow. Actually savour each bite and make it last. It worked for me. Deprevation will only lead you to fail. We can indulge a little and still have control. You can do this. It's best not to think " I have to give all this yummy stuff up forever , I can't handle it" but just remind yourself that's it's only one day. You get through each day and worry about tomorrow when it comes. It's not forever, it's one day. And once you get to your goal weight you wil only have to maintain so you can enjoy a bit more then!! You can do it!
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    TashuaC wrote: »

I love sweets and it's one of my weaknesses but since I started my journey back up I haven't eaten my daily "dessert". I found a protein shake that is delicious barely any sugar but satisfies my craving. At first I had to make my brain think that was dessert, now I look forward to it and make sure I have enough calories left after dinner to drink it.
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    O
  • cceagles01
    cceagles01 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is the protein shake that worked for you, kristen_bures?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a serious sweet tooth! Here's what has worked for me.

Aldi's has an "On the go trail mix" that has chocolate MM's in it.
    It's a healthy snack (nuts, raisins, etc) (200 calories) that also helps with the sugar craving.

Start by getting rid of all of the CRAP/CHEAP candy in your house, then go out and get a small amount of really, really quality stuff. Eat it in small amounts. Work half a Dove Bar, or a Lindor Dark Chocolate Ball, or Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate square. Always treat yourself to the BEST when treating yourself to a small treat.
  • JoggingNerd
    JoggingNerd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a massive sweet tooth. I've lost weight in the past doing this, though:

First, sometimes if I am craving something specific -- I want *this* cookie or I want *this* candy bar -- I wait 20 minutes and gauge again whether I still want it. If I still do (it's surprising how often I don't actually still want it -- or that I simply forget about it. I eat out of boredom a lot), I eat it, savor it, then move on.

Second, I build in a lower-calorie sweet for the end of the day. Since it's strawberry season now, I'll have a cup of strawberries with some whipped cream. Sometimes it's a bit of pudding with whipped cream. I just budget the calories for it. Makes my life easier that way because I don't feel deprived and resentful.

Third, I'll do a lower-calorie substitute. Fruits are great for this -- they are full of sugar. And you might get some other nutrients to boot.

But the bottom line: If you love sugar and you're cutting back, the cravings absolutely suck at first until you train yourself to eat less (refined) sugar.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes to many of the above comments. I too, love sweets. I still allow myself some but have found that I no longer "crave" them as I did. A few times I ate a dessert(mud pie)at a restaurant comes to mind, I felt so sick for two days. Yuk!! I can't believe that in 60 days I've had 2 glasses of coke. That was something I never thought would happen. It's now way to sweet and doesn't taste good to me. Imagine that. Today I'm happy with a 40 cal fudgicle, or some fruit. Those cravings do subside. Take the suggestions in. You can do it. If all else fails, allot yourself a sweet.
  • TashuaC
    TashuaC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the words of wisdom. The cravings is getting less. If I have tough times I am glad I can review the posted encouragement.