starting out lifting.... what is a good weight?!?

Options
EMergise
EMergise Posts: 36 Member
Hey everyone

I'm just starting to get into lifting but have.no idea what would be considered good!!!

I'm 5'2, 61kg and am pretty fit but most of what I do is stamina/endurance training like body pump. Managed to shift 47.5kg in squats but have no idea if this is any good or not?!

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Weight is completely irrelevant, if your making personal progress then it's all good :) don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to others, we're all on different levels, good luck :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My starting weight will not be same as your starting weight. No ones will.

I will add, Learn FORM first on all exercises and increase weight as desired. You should research some programs like StrongLifts etc.. but make sure you do not succome to injury before you even get started.
  • StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I will add, Learn FORM first on all exercises and increase weight as desired. You should research some programs like StrongLifts etc.. but make sure you do not succome to injury before you even get started.

Spot on :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Its is definitely a good start, but where you start is not a concern. The goal is to continually gain strength and to do it with good form.

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

This. I am just starting to lift heavy too, and am going with the program that starts all lifts at 45 lbs. I know I could squat more, but I definitely need to work on my form, so starting with a light weight is a better place.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The weight is heavy enough if you struggle to do the last couple of reps of each set. Everyone is in different places... Some people aren't even training for strength! Pick your goals and work on smashing them!
  • jmccowa1
    jmccowa1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a good goal, think Bodyweight first, and then 120% of your body weight for a realistic MAX goal. (: Great job on starting!! All the advice is really good on this.
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weight is irrelevant, pick a program like starting strenght or stronglift and stick to it.
    Also make sure to research proper form of doing exercises. Moving heavy weight is not cool, moving weight with perfect form is.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The 'how much weight' question is usually answered in most actual strength training programs. Generally they have you test your maxes for a given number of reps. Then again, a good beginners program has you progress on the weight lifted, so it sort of works itself out.

But really - 'more than last time' is a good answer. Either more reps, or pack on more plates.
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :-)
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think you should find a weight that will be challenging for you on the last couple of reps. This is tricky at first as many people start some what low until they realize that they are not getting that muscle burning type feeling. It is important to mention that your body will adapt to the weight/stress and you will need to either do more reps or more weight to get the same feeling of exhaustion in the muscle.
  • Roverbreath
    Roverbreath Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    General rule I've followed is enough weight so the max number of reps you can possibly do is between 8 and 12. If you can do 15 to 20 reps, you can handle more weight.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    The strongest man in the world started out with the lightest weights and progressed from there. Learn from him.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Start out with an empty bar, and make sure your form is ok.

Add weight slowly.

Take breaks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

I'm just starting to get into lifting but have.no idea what would be considered good!!!

I'm 5'2, 61kg and am pretty fit but most of what I do is stamina/endurance training like body pump. Managed to shift 47.5kg in squats but have no idea if this is any good or not?!

How's your form .. do you have someone who can help you correct

really this is the most important factor .. then it's about beating yourself not other people ..