How I decided how to eat for life

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I looked objectively at many different approaches and why it would/wouldn't work for me. Practically all diets fall under these so I just kept it simple:

Vegan- I like meat too much
Low carb- I like carbs too much
Paleo- Too many restrictions for things I like
"Clean" eating- I like processed foods from boxes and cans

So it left me with pretty much with:

Eating whatever I wanted, but making sure I met my daily macro/micro nutrient essentials and staying within a calorie limit to reach whatever goal I was striving for at that time.

Remember it's for LIFE, not just to lose a few pounds on a plan that you'll ditch later because you HATE being on it. Of course this is what I PLAN to do for life. Others will have their own too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    it's funny how many people are convinced they must cut out some food group to lose weight. that it is a certain food making them fat and not just too much food.
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I thought about trying this. Probably will when I'm maintaing.
    Just for the times i bloat i will cut out certain things that i know make me bloat when i would like a flat tummy (bikini.. etc)
    I think what people forget is that sometimes eating junk will get you at your calorie intake faster than eating a whole food meal.
    600 calories could be divide between 2 meals, but one junk meal could equate to 600 calories causing you to overeat. At least thats how i look at it. You should really just be able to enjoy your food and hit your goal without going over. :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    S
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I looked objectively at many different approaches and why it would/wouldn't work for me. Practically all diets fall under these so I just kept it simple:

Eating whatever I wanted, but making sure I met my daily macro/micro nutrient essentials and staying within a calorie limit to reach whatever goal I was striving for at that time.

Remember it's for LIFE, not just to lose a few pounds on a plan that you'll ditch later because you HATE being on it. Of course this is what I PLAN to do for life. Others will have their own too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sounds like me hahaha
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You've nailed it!! It drives me nuts when I hear people talk about giving up foods, fad diets, and all that because it's just not necessary to lose weight. I've lost all my weight enjoying the foods I love, in moderation. :-)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I took a rational approach as well and this is what I ended up with:

Mostly whole foods for taste and health.
    Some processed foods for taste and convenience.
    Low carb for sustainability and health considerations.
    Food is not "just fuel". Celebrate holidays and special occasions with food for health (food variety) and happiness.
    Fast periodically for health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I sort of stumbled into how I eat by default too.

I'm pretty much a whole foods ovo-lacto vegetarian with an ice cream habit.

I didn't give up meat for health. I just really don't like it. As for the whole foods thing? Eh, I've been a scratch cook since I was 10 years old. I'm a damned good cook too. I'd rather make my own foods than buy packaged ones. I've always been this way. Nothing pretentious about it. We were poor when I was a kid, and it was cheaper to do things that way.

Wait, does this mean I'm a whole foods hipster?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to give up any of it.

Except Cauliflower, liver, beets...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

All those diets create a lot of stumbling blocks and too many opportunities to go off the rails. Like some complicated gadget with way too many needless features - the more things there are, the more things there are that can go wrong.

• Vidarsbane
    Vidarsbane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sadly I think it does...

I think people put far too much thought into this when they don't have any more specific a goal than to lose weight... Eat what you want as long as you don't exceed your recommended intake.

Personally I want better health as well as losing weight and am really enjoying discovering new foods that I do like, particularly fruits and vegetables. Does this mean I've actually given anything up? No, enjoy having my treats but I'm careful about it is all. A takeaway and a glass of coke after work with the lads.... a KFC meal and some birthday cake for my friends birthday the other week but that's it. The rest of the time it's doing my best to eat a higher quality in food specifically to get the best nutrients etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like the original post.

For me it was something like this:

Vegan -- read the arguments for it. Thought about what I like about it--the focus on veggies and foods like legumes, about eating mindfully, about the ethics of food sourcing. Thought about what I didn't like about it--I don't think the health-based arguments are well-founded, typically too low fat for me to feel satisfied, I respect but ultimately don't buy the ethical argument, and I have trouble when my protein is too low. What I did: took the bits I liked, the focus on getting lots of good, plant-based foods in my diet and appreciating how varied this can be, as well as reinforcing my personal commitment to knowing where my meat/eggs/dairy come from and being choosy.

Low carb -- I'd had some friends with positive experiences and past experience by losing weight through cutting (not to keto levels) carbs. What I liked about it: was intrigued by the idea that it would make you feel better, change your appetite, etc, and plus I'm not that into many staple carbs (i.e., bread, rice, cereal). What I didn't like: well, I enjoy other carbs, and when I try to eat more vegetarian I tend to rely on them. What I did: tried it out and then reintroduced carbs at various levels. Ultimately I found that I actually feel better eating more carbs, but still find cutting them (to 100 g or so) an easy way to lose weight and keeping them around 40% a good place for me.

Paleo -- looked into it, read a bunch of paleo stuff, listened to some podcasts. What I liked: part of this is just that I think grains are overrated and overemphasized, so I was interested. I also like eating lots of meat and veggie based foods, it wasn't low carb (the sources I saw anyway), I have a personal bias toward eating local, "natural," from whole foods, and it seems like a way of eating that would fit my preferences. What I didn't like: I wouldn't find dropping legumes a hardship, but I'm pretty sure they are healthy. I also don't feel worse when eating grains, and think plenty of grains are neutral to positive nutritionally, and I do like pasta on occasion. And I couldn't give up dairy. Also, the caveman rationale is silly. What I did: I do focus on meat and veggies, and am trying to get more wild game, wild caught fish, and eat more organ meats. Also, as with vegan, I like the focus on lots of veggies (and greens) and go along with that. And even though I think it's kind of hypocritical, a lot of the products made for paleo (like lunch options) happen to be things that I also like, so I'll take advantage of that.

Clean -- hate the name, but I still considered it. I honestly don't see the point in claiming that all processed foods are the same and think anyone who claims to have given up processed foods is usually not telling the truth. That said, I already tend to prefer cooking from whole foods when possible, and I considered whether I was relying too much on processed stuff. I am planning to reduce my consumption of protein bars some, because there are other options, although I see no reason to drop them entirely. I also have no plans to drop veggies out of season (what am I supposed to eat in Chicago if I do that?), or non local fish (including smoked salmon), or cheese or eating at restaurants, or any of the other "processed" foods that I think are actively positive in my diet. And this includes chocolate, coffee, and gelato, because they are definitely positives!

So basically for me being thoughtful and caring about both nutrition and my own tastes has meant not accepted any canned approach or outside rules, but crafting my own way of eating (that is not set in stone) based on my own ideas and preferences and the evidence I find convincing. As a result, I'm also open to changing my mind on things.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I was with my mom yesterday who struggles with her weight, and she told me her friends were all going to this personal trainer who is helping them lose weight. One of the first things she said to me is they told her their trainer said no carbs after noon. Knowing my mom's love for carbs, I told her no way was that necessary. She pretty much ignored me and started talking about string cheese wrapped in ham, lol. She's going to do what she wants, but it frustrates me that people complicate it so much. I used to do the same. I know her, and I know that her restricting her carbs like that is going to lead to her failing down the road, and I don't want to see that. She's going to do what she's going to do though, and I'm not about to argue with her. :) That being said, I agree with you completely.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everything you've said. Restricting isn't very practical forever. I find learning moderation and practicing good choices are essential. Of course, no one is perfect and my choices aren't always stellar. Pfft-I just shake it off and do the next right thing.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

All those diets create a lot of stumbling blocks and too many opportunities to go off the rails. Like some complicated gadget with way too many needless features - the more things there are, the more things there are that can go wrong.

Why do people insist on equating "different" to "complicated"? Doing any of those things (except maybe "clean" because you need to buy 15 dictionaries first) isn't complicated. I eat cheeseburgers without buns, not complicated. I eat asparagus and steak for dinner without a potato, not complicated. I use whole cream in my coffee instead of coffeemate, definitely not complicated.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As with everyone else: whatever works for you is what matters.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well now, wait.

Vegan... not complicated. It's an ethical choice.
    Low carb... not complicated, it's meat, cheese, veggies, eggs. You just leave out the starches.

I'll give you paleo and clean because the goalposts move so much. I don't even know what paleo is any more. I did paleo so long ago that it was basically low carb without dairy. Now I don't even know what it is any more.

But dietary choices are often a matter of preferences that we've built over a lifetime. They're no more complicated than avoiding liver and beets because you don't like them.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    Agreed with everything you've said. Restricting isn't very practical forever. I find learning moderation and practicing good choices are essential. Of course, no one is perfect and my choices aren't always stellar. Pfft-I just shake it off and do the next right thing.

I bet you'd say I've been "restricting" for about 14 years. Seems practical to me.

And, fwiw, isn't calorie counting and eating for the magical macro ratios "restricting"?
    Isn't "moderation" "restricting"?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really like the original post.

So basically for me being thoughtful and caring about both nutrition and my own tastes has meant not accepted any canned approach or outside rules, but crafting my own way of eating (that is not set in stone) based on my own ideas and preferences and the evidence I find convincing. As a result, I'm also open to changing my mind on things.
    Makes total sense to me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yup yup yup!

i eat whatever the heck i want, i just stay within my calorie goals!

and on the (fairly) rare day when i go over... whatever. its called life and we cant control everything every moment!

34 pounds down since january so whatever I"m doing, is working for me!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Great post OP :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was too confused by 30 years of dieting industry: been there, done that, didn't work

I decided feck it. I've done it all and yo-yoed for decades, throw it away and simplify it

So I started calorie counting ...and if I want something I eat it, if I ran out of calories I stayed hungry that day, amazing how rarely that happened after the first few times...I learned to select carefully to ensure I had plenty to eat and averaged over the week..I learned to batch cook dishes and fit in my social life and foods I love I eat ...but the foods I consider my "god I just fancy..." have totally changed

And I learned to exercise more and weight lift and worked out I love being fit and strong

All with a view to maintenance ...eg I know I'm losing weight but can I do this for life as I'll just be able to do it with more calories

now I get to eat 2100-2300 calories daily and have just had wagamamas for lunch, homemade cheeseburger and fries for supper and an icecream and still have 500 calories left:)