Any yoga newbies?

Options
ive just started yoga, and am loving it looking for some more challenging poses/routines other than your standard child's pose, bridge downward facing dog ect, maybe more balance, and arms, I can't do handstands or anything like that yet though.

Replies

• patj06
    patj06 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love yoga, I do the Geri Yoga DVD which is now on YouTube for free. Geri (Spice Girl) is quite annoying but the instructor is very good. Their is a good Sun and Moon section but also some Fab Warrior poses and a blissful cool down and relaxation section at the end. I don't have time to do the whole thing but I do 1/2 hour to 40 minutes sometimes more if I have time.
  • shelbseroo
    shelbseroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is a great YouTube channel that I use, Yoga With Adriane. She is incredible and the videos are great. I started with the 30 Days of Yoga playlist and am continuing on with her other things from there!
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yup, I still am a newbie. If you are looking for more challenge, look for "power yoga." It is no joke. I probably don't have the breathing base I should for doing it, but the workout & poses are intense in the class I do. 75 minute flows will make a burn of it, for sure!
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have done very little yoga and am interested in doing more. It's been recommended to me by my doctor too. So, maybe we will have a grand yoga adventure. Good luck on your journey!

I am starting for the same reason, my doctor suggested various exercise frogs but I have yet to really try this! Seeing as it's the most calming it should probably have been the first thing to try. I hope we do
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about diving back into the yoga pool although I'm still be in the kiddie side that is all warm from urine...
  • Chiema
    Chiema Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been doing DDP Yoga. That is some serious yoga. The key term used is "dynamic resistance". So instead of using weights you use your own strength against yourself. IT WORKS! After a 30 minute session I was sweating!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I know Paige has had some good feed back from athletes who have utilized his routine.
  • bewarethedog
    bewarethedog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, too. I just started doing Yoga with Adriene's 30 day challenge and I really love it so far. Definitely recommend checking her out on YouTube.
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, too. I just started doing Yoga with Adriene's 30 day challenge and I really love it so far. Definitely recommend checking her out on YouTube.

I'll definitely give her a look! Videos are so helpful especially since I don't want to start classes until I'm more confident in what my body can do!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing yoga for over a year. My recommendation for new people is always Yoga with Adriene. She's fantastic.
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try Lesley Fightmaster, she is a wonderful teacher, I also like Adrienne, or Ali Kamenova! :)