Ground Flax?

bethvandenberg
bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so on the Costco trip today I bought a huge bag of ground organic flax seed. Let's hear it...What do you do with it? Do you like it? Do you think it's beneficial? It says it doesn't have to be refrigerated but should I?

Replies

• oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    I have a bunch of flax seeds that I want to grind up and put into my oatmeal every morning. Also, some of the recipes I've used call for it, but since I don't have any, I don't put it in. I need a mortar and pestle. :frown:
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    "They" say it's beneficial. I have some and put it on or in just about everything from salads to cookies (I'm slowly introducing my family to healthy eating).
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I have a bunch of flax seeds that I want to grind up and put into my oatmeal every morning. Also, some of the recipes I've used call for it, but since I don't have any, I don't put it in. I need a mortar and pestle. :frown:

someone told me a coffee grinder or mini food chopper would work to grind it... The stuff I bought is all ground :) Huge bag though... Hope I like it. :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I bought the same stuff at Costco. I add it to my protein shake. It makes it hella gritty so I hope it's doing something beneficial :tongue:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Flax is very beneficial for you and you definitely need to refrigerate it, as it will go rancid. My boyfriend will add it to pancakes (homemade), he puts it in his oatmeal, on top of cereal, protein shakes, in yogurt,we bake with it and add it to homemade bread, there is a lot of things you can do with it. For more recipes you can google some (google seems to help me a lot)
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    I throw mine in oatmeal, or protein shakes. My mom likes to put hers on salads. The one I have though, says to keep it in the fridge. It's pretty flavorless, at least the one I have.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I put it in oatmeal, yogurt and pancakes. I don't usually eat a lot of breads but when I do bake my own breads and I mix some into the recipe. A friend puts some into her protein shakes.
  • kellyakels
    kellyakels Posts: 2
    Flax seed is beneficial, it is high in omegas and the fibers in the ground flax seed are good at "scrubbing" your digestive track. I work at a health food store and we sell a ton of it!. If you bought a big bag keep it in the freezer and it will last longer, tends to go rancid if out too long.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Been a while since I have used it, but definitely refrigerate it, Whole seeds I would put on salads for extra crunchy texture. Ground, I put it in smoothies. It is pretty high calorie though, so make sure you measure and account for it.
  • i went to winco( a store with bulk bins) got 10 grain pancake mix, I use either ground flax, wheat germ or both depending on my nutrition needs blend a banana in to the mix & occationally toss some frozen strawberries in mmmm mmmm mmmm. then i have vanilla yoghurt, lactose free milk, & a cup of tea. quick easy & also my boyfriend (rather i do it for him)blends soy milk (loves the stuff) a banana & either of the ground grains. banana hides the flavor wonderfully.:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.