Question for other walkers and maybe runners to about hands swelling

Options
so I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced their fingers and hands swelling while they are out walking or running? This has happened to me several times. Most recently was the other day and it was nice and sunny out. My hand and fingers will swell and my fingers feel like they have arthritis.
Does this ever happened to you?

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    nope
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I had something different but equally disturbing (it no longer happens, but it drove me mad when it did) my legs would ITCH like they were covered in mosquitoes. I would be going crazy. It would happen during the last quarter of my walk. Stopped when my fitness level improved. It sounds to me like there is fluid/blood pooling in your hands. I think it would make sense to go talk to a doctor.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced it, but I have heard it before. If it something new happening to you, maybe you should ask your dr?
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes I've had that happen, both the hands feeling swollen and the itchy legs. Doesn't happen when I go to fitclass, just when brisk walking/ jogging! Weird.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had it happen once, I assumed it was dehydration. I hadn't had much water before the long walk/run and forgot to bring water with me and it was hot out.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Have you just recently started walking? Are you swinging your arms? This happened to me the first time I started walking again and being a spazz, I was freaking out wondering if I was about to have a heart attack. Hold your bend your arms at your sides(ie the power walk postion) and see if that helps. When you swing your hands and keep them low it causes fluids to collect.
  • amyrunsforhersanity
    amyrunsforhersanity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, this will decrease as you walk/run more frequently. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I get it if I go for a long walk and keep my hands low (swinging by my sides).... I don't run, so can't say if it happens then too!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have this happen every so often... like others have said, I believe it is due to how we are swing are arms... hanging down swing they feel puffy. Bend at the elbow, puffy feeling goes away. imo

eta, never thought about hydration...hum.. I will pay more attention on that one. thanks
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It happens to me! I think its a dehydration issue because when I'm plenty hydrated it doesn't happen.
  • annecandoit
    annecandoit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone! I am going walking again today and I will make sure that I'm hydrated and that I am moving my arms more. I usually just let my arms dangle and swing while I walk. I will try bending and moving them more. If it continues to happen I will definitely go see a doctor.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when I swing my arms low and when I've been eating too much salt in my diet.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    yes mine do it all the time if walking in heat. Not a problem in the cold and I ust assume it is blood rushing to my hands as they are down low.
  • hcsmith731327
    hcsmith731327 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well, especially on long runs. It is linked to dehydration, so staying hydrated can lessen the swelling. It's also a normal part of exercise as your body dissipates heat.

Here's a link with a doctor answering a similar question: beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2085
  • exeter232
    exeter232 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency of having my left hand in my pocket and the right swinging low while I walk. The pocketed hand is fine and the right swells. It seems to happen most often if I didn't get a good nights sleep the night before. Nothing's ever come from it, of course I have never asked a doc.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My fingers always swell when I'm running, mostly when it's warm outside. They also swell if I'm walking a lot, against especially if it's warm. Two weeks ago I went hiking with a friend and when we got done I couldn't take one of my rings off my finger! I don't worry about it, as they un-swell pretty quickly when I'm done.
  • Ashleymc44
    Ashleymc44 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My hands (and everything else) swells a bit as I run. I can tell because my ring and activity tracker gets tighter. If I drink more water and work out before eating breakfast or lunch, this helps me. The swelling isn't anything too noticeable, but I always loosen my tracker a notch before I run so it doesn't get too tight.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time during the summer... only when I walk though. never happens when I run. I'm not worried about it. Goes away when I get home and drink some water.
  • annecandoit
    annecandoit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Yesterday I went for a good long hike , but I made sure to hydrate before and during the hike. I also made sure that I was moving my arms more, and everything seemed to help. I only swelled up a little bit, not like I normally would.