Weekends

Options
So, with the weekend coming up, I figured this would be a good time to post this question. I can usually do pretty well at maintaining my calorie requirements during the week. However, the weekends tend to be my downfall a lot of the times. I know one big problem is drinking alcohol, but I'm also around more foods and temptations on the weekend.

So, I'm working really hard to cut back on my alcohol consumption (it can be hard because i enjoy drinking). But, I am actually feeling better (mentally and physically) without it. However, does anyone else seem to have this problem of going over their calorie limits on the weekend? I don't know why it's so much harder, and I don't know how to make it better.

Also, those who enjoy drinking... how are going about drinking alcohol and losing weight.

Replies

• axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Weekend is coming, alcohol questions are comin out of the woodwork. I had one today as well. There is a thin line I believe. I am gonna test that line out a little this weekend.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, i always find it much harder to stick to on the weekends as I have more free time to eat! During the week I have school so its a much more structured day. People tend to see what I'm eating on the weekends and I don't like people knowing I'm dieting. I don't drink alcohol though so I can't help you there!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Also, those who enjoy drinking... how are going about drinking alcohol and losing weight.

I only drink if I'm out dancing... I burn it off as fast as I put it in :wink:
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try and compensate for my extra eating on the weekend by working out more on the weekend. I've got to the point where I can burn an additional 600-700 calories per day per weekend. I combine that with trying not to plan more than one thing per weekend where food might tempt me and I try to eat BEFORE I go out so I'm not hungry.

As for alcohol, avoid the high calorie beers and mixed drinks (have you ever seen how many calories in a long island iced tea - I love them) and find a drink that is more moderate - my favourite is vodka, soda water and fresh sqeezed lime - yum and about 70 calories I think (may be closer to 64).

If I'm at home I drink wine in a smaller glass so I can control my portion size.

Nice thing is that the more weight I lose the less alcohol it takes to give me a buzz! Two glasses of wine and I am done!
  • rickettsm
    rickettsm Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah, this is one of my problems, too. The best thing I can think of is try to keep track of alcohol consumed. This is generally easier if you stick to one type of drink so then all you have to try and remember is how many you've had... which gets really hard after a while. By doing this you get a ballpark of how many calories you splurged on and how much you need to work out the following week to make up for it.

Easier just to be extra good the rest of the week then designate a day (Saturday night is mine) as Splurge Day.
  • journey2lh
    journey2lh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe if you keep things simple, shots only you are better off. and I would say just account for your calories. :)
  • eclaire9
    eclaire9 Posts: 44
    Options
    I love my red wine on the weekends, so I make sure that on the days I know I am going to have a few glasses, I get my butt on the treadmill to burn those calories BEFORE I drink them. Saying I will run the next day and then not doing it, isn't good. Also, I try to eat a little less so I have some cals leftover for my wine. I make it work, because after a long week at work, a glass of red wine is always nice!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    However, the weekends tend to be my downfall a lot of the times. I know one big problem is drinking alcohol, but I'm also around more foods and temptations on the weekend.

Except for the alcohol part (I don't drink), this has been my struggle for as long as I've been trying to lose weight. I'll do great during the week, but on weekends I've always tended to sort of let myself go and essentially sabotage and entire week's effort. I ultimately just decided that if I was going to get serious about losing weight I had to get serious about weekends. Now, instead of letting myself go on weekends, I hold myself to the exact same workout and calorie standards I do during the week. It's not easy, but I just have to make myself say no to the things that I know do not help me accomplish my goals.

One thing that has helped me is changing my weigh in day. I used to weigh in on Saturday mornings. This just made me more likely to eat bad over the weekend because I figured I had a week to work it off. Now I weigh on Monday mornings. Knowing I have to weigh on Monday causes me to put a lot more thought and effort into how I eat Saturday and Sunday.