Diabetic, trying to loose 40lbs

like so many people, My diabetes was out of control. I'm giving it another shot, trying to rain in my blood sugar, and lose 40 pounds. So far I love this app, it keeps me focused on what I'm eating and how it affects me.

Replies

• trauncher
    trauncher Posts: 3 Member
    Reign... Not rain....Blasted autocorrect!
  • markpetruska427
    markpetruska427 Posts: 1 Member
    I was in your shoes not so long ago. Admitted to the hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, a blood sugar level of 785 and weight around 230 the day before New Year's. Four months later my diabetes is completely under control with no meds, I have lost well over 60 lbs. (I'm at 164.5 today), my high blood pressure is now low, my sleep apnea is gone, and I have never felt healthier. I did this all through diet and exercise: low carbs, no sugar, 1500 or fewer calories a day, and exercise 7 days a week, rain or shine (90% of it is walking 3.5 mph at a brisk pace). I owe a lot of my success to this app, which helps keep me on track and well aware of my goals. I have a little less than ten more pounds to lose, and will be ready to begin a maintenance program. I can do it - you can, too.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Try reading up on the Glycemic Index system. Based on 35 years of research done mostly to address diabetes, this program was adopted in Australia in 2002, implemented using a food labeling system. While we don't have the labeling system in the US, it can still help inform your food choices for eating in a way that best supports your health (especially if you have diabetes).
    http://www.gisymbol.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/

Also, as mentioned, exercise as a regular part of your lifestyle is very important.
  • trauncher
    trauncher Posts: 3 Member
    I must say I didn't expect the positive replies thank you very much. I've been pretty worried about losing my vision or losing my feet, and like many people I just didn't take my diabetes seriously until the pain started keeping me from doing my job or interacting with my family.

This great little app has me focused on my blood sugar, and my diet. My blood glucose levels are averaging about 160 now where they were well into the 400s just a week ago.

I'm pretty excited to pass my next blood test. So to speak ( LOL)
  • Lollyhegs88
    Lollyhegs88 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi I'm new to this but I'm type 1 diabetic and I aim to lose 21lbs as iv lost track of my diet and fitness the last year since I moved to the UK. Let's do this ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Theres loads of good infor on healthy eating for diabetics here
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/healthy-eating/

its not hat complicated or different from normal dueting except attention to blood sugar.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    trauncher wrote: »
    like so many people, My diabetes was out of control. I'm giving it another shot, trying to rain in my blood sugar, and lose 40 pounds. So far I love this app, it keeps me focused on what I'm eating and how it affects me.
    You can do this. 3 months ago, I was on insulin, plus 2 different diabetes meds and 2 different pills for high blood pressure. After not even 60 days here on MFP, my doctor took me off insulin and took away one of the diabetic meds and lowered the other one. Also, lowered one of my pills for high blood pressure. I am thrilled. That was all done with only 20 lbs lost. You can beat this!!!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    The symptoms of diabetes are 100% reversible. All you have to do is let your body do what it is meant to do. Move, run, walk, lift, and eat good things. Intense exercise will help you burn off the excess sugar in your system. Do a lot of that. Let that be your medicine. Good luck.