How I decided how to eat for life

Options
2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    it's funny how many people are convinced they must cut out some food group to lose weight. that it is a certain food making them fat and not just too much food.
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You've nailed it!! It drives me nuts when I hear people talk about giving up foods, fad diets, and all that because it's just not necessary to lose weight. I've lost all my weight enjoying the foods I love, in moderation. :-)

Well I think a great many of us were in that spot (stuck in the diet zone) over the years long enough that it's a hard habit to shake and it's a new mentality that ppl learn here. Many ppl on here were in the diet mode for years and years so I don't think it's odd that when someone joins here they are NOT suddenly magically transformed the first day.

It takes time to change our habits and make mental changes. It takes examples showing ppl it works, positive posts and positive examples. That's why I like the positive posts toward new ppl on how it works... I think they go over better than expecting everyone new to already know it all when they first arrive here.

Funny how some members that have been here awhile seem to have forgotten where they came from. Some from the very same spot that new ppl are at when they arrive here.

Always good to remember where we came from... and how far we've come. That can really help out others when we reach out and it helps us to actually stay in that positive place of keeping the weight off.

Not everyone chooses to continue eating the same foods they gained on, some want to make changes in what they put in their bodies. Why get down on those members? It's all individual...each of us are in this by ourselves when it comes to it.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I took a rational approach as well and this is what I ended up with:

Mostly whole foods for taste and health.
    Some processed foods for taste and convenience.
    Low carb for sustainability and health considerations.
    Food is not "just fuel". Celebrate holidays and special occasions with food for health (food variety) and happiness.
    Fast periodically for health.

This is the way I want to live my life. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I was too confused by 30 years of dieting industry: been there, done that, didn't work

I decided feck it. I've done it all and yo-yoed for decades, throw it away and simplify it

So I started calorie counting ...and if I want something I eat it, if I ran out of calories I stayed hungry that day, amazing how rarely that happened after the first few times...I learned to select carefully to ensure I had plenty to eat and averaged over the week..I learned to batch cook dishes and fit in my social life and foods I love I eat ...but the foods I consider my "god I just fancy..." have totally changed

And I learned to exercise more and weight lift and worked out I love being fit and strong

All with a view to maintenance ...eg I know I'm losing weight but can I do this for life as I'll just be able to do it with more calories

now I get to eat 2100-2300 calories daily and have just had wagamamas for lunch, homemade cheeseburger and fries for supper and an icecream and still have 500 calories left:)

Yup me too...steak and grilled veggies and pasta for dinner tonight...and as I type this I am drinking a 100 calorie long island ice tea and eating chips...why cause I like them and it's hot and I want them and I have the room.
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I looked objectively at many different approaches and why it would/wouldn't work for me. Practically all diets fall under these so I just kept it simple:

Vegan- I like meat too much
    Low carb- I like carbs too much
    Paleo- Too many restrictions for things I like
    "Clean" eating- I like processed foods from boxes and cans

So it left me with pretty much with:

Eating whatever I wanted, but making sure I met my daily macro/micro nutrient essentials and staying within a calorie limit to reach whatever goal I was striving for at that time.

Remember it's for LIFE, not just to lose a few pounds on a plan that you'll ditch later because you HATE being on it. Of course this is what I PLAN to do for life. Others will have their own too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

All those diets create a lot of stumbling blocks and too many opportunities to go off the rails. Like some complicated gadget with way too many needless features - the more things there are, the more things there are that can go wrong.

Well now, wait.

Vegan... not complicated. It's an ethical choice.
    Low carb... not complicated, it's meat, cheese, veggies, eggs. You just leave out the starches.

I'll give you paleo and clean because the goalposts move so much. I don't even know what paleo is any more. I did paleo so long ago that it was basically low carb without dairy. Now I don't even know what it is any more.

But dietary choices are often a matter of preferences that we've built over a lifetime. They're no more complicated than avoiding liver and beets because you don't like them.

Vegan isn't always about ethics..
    Low carb not complicated but why do that...I love pasta, potatoes, rice etc as I am sure the OP does as he stated he likes carbs too much he didn't say it was complicated.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I was too confused by 30 years of dieting industry: been there, done that, didn't work

I decided feck it. I've done it all and yo-yoed for decades, throw it away and simplify it

So I started calorie counting ...and if I want something I eat it, if I ran out of calories I stayed hungry that day, amazing how rarely that happened after the first few times...I learned to select carefully to ensure I had plenty to eat and averaged over the week..I learned to batch cook dishes and fit in my social life and foods I love I eat ...but the foods I consider my "god I just fancy..." have totally changed

And I learned to exercise more and weight lift and worked out I love being fit and strong

All with a view to maintenance ...eg I know I'm losing weight but can I do this for life as I'll just be able to do it with more calories

now I get to eat 2100-2300 calories daily and have just had wagamamas for lunch, homemade cheeseburger and fries for supper and an icecream and still have 500 calories left:)

Yup me too...steak and grilled veggies and pasta for dinner tonight...and as I type this I am drinking a 100 calorie long island ice tea and eating chips...why cause I like them and it's hot and I want them and I have the room.
    I looked objectively at many different approaches and why it would/wouldn't work for me. Practically all diets fall under these so I just kept it simple:

Eating whatever I wanted, but making sure I met my daily macro/micro nutrient essentials and staying within a calorie limit to reach whatever goal I was striving for at that time.

Remember it's for LIFE, not just to lose a few pounds on a plan that you'll ditch later because you HATE being on it. Of course this is what I PLAN to do for life. Others will have their own too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

All those diets create a lot of stumbling blocks and too many opportunities to go off the rails. Like some complicated gadget with way too many needless features - the more things there are, the more things there are that can go wrong.

Well now, wait.

Low carb... not complicated, it's meat, cheese, veggies, eggs. You just leave out the starches.

I'll give you paleo and clean because the goalposts move so much. I don't even know what paleo is any more. I did paleo so long ago that it was basically low carb without dairy. Now I don't even know what it is any more.

But dietary choices are often a matter of preferences that we've built over a lifetime. They're no more complicated than avoiding liver and beets because you don't like them.

Low carb not complicated but why do that...I love pasta, potatoes, rice etc as I am sure the OP does as he stated he likes carbs too much he didn't say it was complicated.

Eh, I agree... why do it? Personal choice? It works for them? I don't see that it's really a big deal if it works for someone else, that's all.

Someone else said giving things up was complicated. I don't think it necessarily is. I'm not in everyone's head. For some people, it's easy.

Me? Gimme potatoes.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well now, wait.

Why do you care? Are there people out there gaining 10 lbs every time someone else skips the french fries?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'll take my low carb ways and happily go sit in the corner and munch some bacon and eggs. It works for me, isn't complicated in the least, and after 18 year of binge eating disorder I finally have control over myself. I'm happy.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why do people insist on equating "different" to "complicated"? Doing any of those things (except maybe "clean" because you need to buy 15 dictionaries first) isn't complicated. I eat cheeseburgers without buns, not complicated. I eat asparagus and steak for dinner without a potato, not complicated. I use whole cream in my coffee instead of coffeemate, definitely not complicated.

Seems to me that it's far more complicated to weigh and measure every morsel of food/drink I put into my mouth rather than just deciding to not eat XXXX anymore.

I did weigh. It does work. I lost 40 lbs. But I'm never doing it again. I certainly wouldn't make a conscious choice to do that for the rest of my life and tell myself it's uncomplicated.

Mostly I stopped calorie counting because it took away the joy of cooking for me. I avoided making complex dishes because sitting down and weighing out 10-15 ingredients, trying to determine how much oil was/was not used in frying, and then summing everything up and dividing by the portion was a nightmare. (Did that serving of chicken curry have more or less potatoes in it? Did I give myself too much chicken this time?) And before someone says, "well that's what the recipe builder is for," please keep in mind that cooking shouldn't be formula. There is a joy in substituting what you have in the fridge. To have the freedom to add a dash of this, and a pinch of that.

If all that works for you, rock on. It certainly worked for me. There's no doubt that limiting calories work.

But i've been maintaining for the past year mostly by trying to be conscious about eating less and moving more. I go up a few, go down a few but in the end, I weigh what I did when I was in high school.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Of course the idea is to find a program that works for you as an individual. No program is wrong if the individual doing it likes it and can sustain by it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Of course the idea is to find a program that works for you as an individual. No program is wrong if the individual doing it likes it and can sustain by it.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with vegan/paleo/low-carb/or "clean." If you like it and can sustain it... Do it! Just know that there is nothing magic about them either. Just like there is no wrong way... There is no one "right way" either.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have tried some of the things you mentioned but find MFP to be the best for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining at goal for 4+ years eating whatever I want within calorie goals right here on MFP. Works just fine for me and it's super sustainable long-term! I feel better when I eat more nutritious and less processed food, but it's not necessary for weight loss or maintenance. Do what works best for you and what you'll stick to. B)
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I actually hate counting calories. It's not sustainable for me, but I do it here and there to check in on different foods.

I used to listen to mainstream nutrition and struggled with cravings and weight loss. Over the years, I've gravitated more toward what humans were probably intended to eat (i.e. whole foods). I used to fear heart disease from saturated fat and cholesterol. Now that research is showing otherwise, I have finally found a sustainable diet for me! Low carb real food. I love meat :) I don't have to count calories so much as limit my consumption of anything processed. I don't even like processed food anymore, but I'm the kind of person who can eat the same thing everyday. My favorite food is eggs. I try to eat at least three per day.

I can cheat here and there, but overall I find shopping for and cooking food easy! I just have to make accommodations for my family. I still make them baked goods, pancakes, pasta, etc. at times.

My biggest concern is the processed fats in our modern diet. I'm convinced these are contributing a host of illnesses. Trans fats should banned. They are not fit for human consumption. Yet almost any packaged food contains them :( even salad dressing.