fibro & herniated discs

Options
Does anybody know any good exercises i can do, esp for the stomach area? All my Dr's say is, "take it easy", and, "be careful". Um. Thanks for nothing. I've been fluffy since 2004-- time to lose some of it

Replies

• garymeer
    garymeer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't know the answer, but I started a group for people in our situation. it's called Disabled and overweight
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, I have degenerative disc disease, I don't know the specific issues involved with herniated discs.

I started exercising by walking. I was careful to tuck my pelvis while I was doing it to concentrate on my core, and that gradually built up a little strength. I needed to start out with a cane, but that only lasted a week. It hurt at first, but I persisted through the pain and it wasn't long until the muscles got enough baby strength to keep going without pain.

I eventually joined a gym, got a trainer, and I do core work with him -- squats, and weighted squats, TRX stuff, weighted sit ups and sit backs. Every move I make always curves my back forward, I cannot do anything that goes the other way.

Progress is slow, but steady.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know any good exercises i can do, esp for the stomach area? All my Dr's say is, "take it easy", and, "be careful". Um. Thanks for nothing. I've been fluffy since 2004-- time to lose some of it

You might want to invest some time (& money if you are in the US) in working with a physiotherapist. Get a referral from your primary care doc - it may help with insurance. But yes, slow & steady is the way to go. You just need guidance from a professional who can get you rehabbed.

• dkstevens327
    dkstevens327 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! :smiley: