Can someone help me please?

Options
Ok here goes my name is Sharon I'm 51 years old @ 5 feet even , I started out at 211 and I'm now at 195 I'm insulin dependent and dr gave me something to help with weight loss but wanting to do it on my own, no my question is with all the info I gave you can someone please tell me how many calories I need to be eating to lose weight MFP tells me 1200 but I starve it's just not enough I looked on line but really didn't know what to look for . Thanks in advance !

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    change how many pounds a week you want to lose. that will give you more calories to eat.

alternatively, you can workout and eat back half to 3/4 of those calories
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should be eating about 1350 to lose a pound per week. This is assuming you do no exercise. If you exercise you can eat back 50%-70% of the calories you burn doing exercise.

I recommend you start by putting your calories at 1500/day and increase your exercise and activity.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    miss_me wrote:
    I'm 51 years old @ 5 feet even
    ... can someone please tell me how many calories I need to be eating
    According to this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine, 127 lb is the top end of a healthy weight range for your
    height (brings your BMI to 24.9) and to maintain that weight if you're inactive you should be eating 590 calories! If you
    were active 1 hour a day, you'd need 1200.

So probably the MFP calculator came up with less than 1200, but won't tell anyone they should eat less than that,
    no matter how short they are. Check with your doctor to be sure that both your weight & calorie goals are OK for you.
    It's also possible that you've set your goal to be too severe.
    You didn't get fat overnight, you're not going to get fit overnight.
    As long as you're eating less than your body needs to run, you'll lose weight.

Come at it the other way around - log everything you eat for a week or two to see how much you're currently eating
    to maintain your weight, then cut 500 cal/day from that to lose about 1 lb per week. As you lose weight, hit a plateau,
    you'll need to cut 50 cal at a time from that to keep losing weight, but it's a gradual way to ease down to the amount
    you should be eating for your age & height.

Here's a newbie help post I did, compiling some links to useful info, such as sexypants. Go read that now. (Yes, now.)

51637601.png
  • LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories as well because I am short and my goal is 2 pounds a week. I do 30 minutes of exercise which gives me an additional 200 calories so I'm at 1400. I have been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Drinking plenty of water suppresses my appetite and eating smaller portion sizes helps.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How long were you eating 1200 calories for?

Give it some time to get used to the smaller diet.

Maybe eat more fats and protein. They are meant to keep you fuller for longer.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You should be eating about 1350 to lose a pound per week. This is assuming you do no exercise.
    If you exercise you can eat back 50%-70% of the calories you burn doing exercise.
    I recommend you start by putting your calories at 1500/day and increase your exercise and activity.
    Links to the calculator you're using to get your estimate for how much she should eat, please?

As for eating exercise calories, both my doctor & dietician say not to. Most people underestimate what they eat, most
    machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned. For most people, most of the time, the errors cancel out.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    You should be eating about 1350 to lose a pound per week. This is assuming you do no exercise.
    If you exercise you can eat back 50%-70% of the calories you burn doing exercise.
    Links to the calculator you're using to get your estimate for how much she should eat, please?

As for eating exercise calories, both my doctor & dietician say not to. Most people underestimate what they eat, most
    machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned. For most people, most of the time, the errors cancel out.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You're exercising, and you're losing at a healthy rate. I personally don't see an issue providing you're eating a diet that is good for diabetics. If you wanna eat more, change to 1 lb a week. If you wanna continue to lose but eat more, choose lower calorie foods. Good luck!
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 cals a day and I am very satisfied. I used to eat a LOT more, but I think since the nutritional quality of my food has increased, I am staying full longer.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Start by redefining "hunger" and "starve", right?

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Start by redefining "hunger" and "starve", right?

Yeah that's true. Sometimes I see people talking about hunger and I can only compare it to what I feel. Makes them sound like a baby some times :D

They describe it like the pain is like they lost a leg but then I'm like, I'm hungry right now and I'm not in the featal position.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    How long were you eating 1200 calories for?

Give it some time to get used to the smaller diet.

Maybe eat more fats and protein. They are meant to keep you fuller for longer.

Exactly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If the medication is Metformin, don't fear it. It does double duty by helping cells uptake sugar and help you lose weight.