Eat slowly and lose more weight!

Options
You may have heard about the "slow food movement", which touts the benefits of taking the time to really savor what you're eating. Research proven perks include less stress, less indigestion and easier weight loss. (In fact, given that better digestion means you're absorbing more nutrients from what you eat, there isn't a lot that slowing down your meal can't improve!)

Easy way to start: Try to chew each bite at least 10 times before swallowing, advises neuroscientist Will Clower, Ph.D., author of The Fat Fallacy. You'll eat less without even noticing , because your stomach has enough time to signal the brain that it's full", he says. "Plus, you'll enjoy what you eat even more.

Woman's World

Replies

• wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this since I started at MFP! I eat slower and tell myself that I can eat whatever it is again at another time, and remind ME to enjoy the taste while it lasts! I have eaten less, lost weight and enjoy eating more this way! Good advice!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    also, put your cutlery down between each mouthful, and really savour the flavour.

I had to gulp my dinner down tonight as I had to be somewhere and still feeling gross after it. And I used to eat like that all the time, no wonder I would often have such bad wind!!
    (no such thing as TMI on here!)
  • Lakelady48
    Lakelady48 Posts: 14
    Options
    For me, this has been one of the most helpful tips for losing weight, along with portion control. So instead of gulping 2-3 plates of food, now I have ONE plate and I slowly savor each tiny bite. It's really a more attractive way to eat as well, rather than shovelling food in as if someone were going to take your food away.
  • SparkleKittie
    SparkleKittie Posts: 127
    Options
    I notice that when I'm eating healthy foods, they feel better to chew than the foods that are over-processed and crappy. Especially after a hard workout... I just wanna refuel with veggies and whole grains. :P
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The reason they say to eat slowly is because it takes a bit of time before your brain sends a signal to you letting you know that your full. I rarely eat to the point of being full even when i'm really hungry. I shoot for 80% full. A normal eaters stomach is about the size of your fist. You should not eat more food then that per meal. Though veggies are good they last about 15 minutes as they are nearly all water. You MUST have fat in your meals as fat gives you a full feeling. I can eat 1/4 cup of shelled pistachios and that lasts me for quite some time before i get hungry. Medical experts are advice givers. It's all about how much and what you put in your body that matters more so then how fast or slow you eat.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I'm eating healthy foods, they feel better to chew than the foods that are over-processed and crappy. Especially after a hard workout... I just wanna refuel with veggies and whole grains. :P

I'm the same way!! It's great isn't it?
  • mikesovoygirl
    Options
    @wildon883r, eating about 40 Almonds can fill you up as well. I can't eat that many before becoming full, but I stay full for a while.