Terry's 12 Week Bulk

Options

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to send over the template. And/or, they aren't difficult to build. Excel does most of the work for you.
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Are you just looking to put on some size or lean gains ?
    And is this you first year or around it lifting, I've noticed you have a good understanding behind nutrition/calorie intake but I'm just curious seen you on a couple of discussion boards ?
  • terizius
    Options
    Currently, I'm putting on size. I'm still fairly lean, but expect to cut at the end of this bulk to get back below 10%. I've lifted on and off for a few years, but haven't been all that consistent with moves, new careers and getting my masters degree. Most of my knowledge comes from research. I worked as a correctional officer for a few years. The computers there only had access to government sites, so when inmates were sleeping, I spent most of my time researching fitness and nutrition on PubMed. So, while I have a good understanding of the mechanisms of muscle gain/fat loss, my experience is the gym is less developed.
  • S4Lyons
    Options
    Got it ! @terizius
    Trial and error my friend just figure out what works with your body, all last year i focused on a 5/5 cadence (5 seconds up & 5 seconds down) every rep, 1 set per exercise and saw pretty decent gains went from 54 kilos to 74 not all muscle but just under 10 kilos muscle which i was pretty happy with, but now I'm going to focus more on explosive movements, less constant burn! Anyone that disagrees with the way i trained last year can get sit on a cactus i saw Impressive gains and it worked so what ever, but like you I've only been properly for a year and around 3/4's but before that i had lifted just not to specifically gain large amount of muscle it was for rowing training, just remember as long as you don't listen to the bro science critics and just stick to something and give it a go you might find a cool way of training that your body respond to very efficiently
  • S4Lyons
    Options
    Got it ! @terizius
    Trial and error my friend just figure out what works with your body, all last year i focused on a 5/5 cadence (5 seconds up & 5 seconds down) every rep, 1 set per exercise and saw pretty decent gains went from 54 kilos to 74 not all muscle but just under 10 kilos muscle which i was pretty happy with, but now I'm going to focus more on explosive movements, less constant burn! Anyone that disagrees with the way i trained last year can get sit on a cactus i saw Impressive gains and it worked so what ever, but like you I've only been properly for a year and around 3/4's but before that i had lifted just not to specifically gain large amount of muscle it was for rowing training, just remember as long as you don't listen to the bro science critics and just stick to something and give it a go you might find a cool way of training that your body respond to very efficiently
  • S4Lyons
    Options
    My phone spazed out sorry.... :(
  • terizius
    Options
    I have a pretty in depth discussion going on over in the "Stronglifts for Hypertrophy" thread. All said and done though, being persistent is probably the most important factor and you did that. Would you have had better or worse gains if did something else? Who knows.. all you know is that what you did worked for you - and that's enough.
  • S4Lyons
    Options
    My point exactly mate, I'm just saying give different things a shot
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    @terizius I've heard you mention wine a few times as part of your overall strategy to hit your calorie goals. I always thought, "Why not beer?"

After putting a milk stout on top of almost 3,000 calories I can see why you favor wine.
  • terizius
    Options
    haha, truth is I simply prefer wine, but thanks for giving me an even better reason to stick with my plan!
  • terizius
    Options
    Week 6 Review: This marks the midpoint of my bulk so its a good time for a review. Instead of reviewing each graph as normal, I wanted to create new ones that highlights the changes from then to now.

dwi3nzuku77x.jpg
    In the 6 weeks that I've been bulking, I've increased weight by 11.2 lbs while body fat has increased by 0.5%. This results in about 2lbs fat and about 9.5lbs LBM (water, glycogen, muscle, etc). Not too bad.

umcm9m0hackz.jpg
    Overall, I've increased measurements by 9.65". This breaks down to:

Shoulders: + 2"
    Chest: + 1.35"
    Hips: + 1"
    Waist: + 0.6"
    Thighs: + 1.55"
    Neck: + 0.25"
    Calves: + 0.4"
    Biceps: + 1.7"
    Forearms: + 0.3"

6qul4vpdyv1c.jpg
    Lifts have increase nicely as well. I did include my max lifts over the 6 weeks, not necessarily my week 6 lifts. This is because I switched to ATG squats and my current squat numbers haven't got back to my week 3 numbers yet. I also posted my highest tricep numbers in week 3. I'm well on track to meet my goal to increase all lifts by 20%. In fact, I've already reached that goal with my bent over rows.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my progress so far. However, I have decided to switch to Stronglifts 5x5 for the second half of my bulk. I want to do a comparison between my current hypertrophy program and a strength-based program. I'm hoping to see similar gains in growth and explosive gains in strength :)
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Good luck with Stronglifts!
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the graph! I am going to see if I can make one myself! But Terry your progress is fantastic :) Glad that you are on this bulk journey with me!
  • terizius
    Options
    Thanks! If you need any help with the graphs or excel, just let me know.
  • terizius
    Options
    Week 7 Update: I switched to Stronglifts this week to do a comparison between my old hypertrophy program to this one. I don't want to make any judgments yet, so we'll just see how it goes over time.

ibtj31q9xms8.jpg
    I made a real effort to lower my fat intake this week since it was higher than I wanted. Fortunately, I was successful. Unfortunately, I didn't sufficiently replace it with carbs/protein to make up the difference so I was low on calories. That was reflected in my lack of weight gain this week.

ce0rxr5u1twl.jpg
    Measurements were mixed, with gains and losses. Apparently, I do happen to have an ever expanding butt. It looks like everything I lost elsewhere went to my lower body. Thighs gained again as well, which I expect to continue since I'll be squatting every other day for the next 6 weeks.

kz4y76cv2x96.jpg
    Nothing too special on the lifts. Since its my first week doing the SL, there's nothing to compare to until next week. In theory, it will be a very linear periodization with no hiccups. The only thing of note is that I underestimated deadlifts after squats and ended up not making 5 reps. I'll try again this week and see how it goes.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options
    You're doing deadlifts 1x5 right?
  • terizius
    Options
    That's the idea, but I only did 1 last time due to a pulling sensation in my lower abs. I had pulled 335 the week before and didn't fully set up for 275. Rookie mistake. I've been out of town for a few days, but tomorrow I'll give it another go.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say kudos on your progress. I read the thread from time to time. Inspiring!
  • terizius
    Options
    Thanks Brent! This week was a total disaster, but I'm back on the wagon tomorrow :)
  • leoboyten
    leoboyten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress, love reading your posts and learning knowledge, great job on all the planning you put together.