Zig Zagging calories

Options
Can someone explain to me what zig zagging calories is? I have an idea...I usually eat around 1400 calories a day and am losing weight. I workout about 6 days a week, burning appox 350 to 450 calories a workout. I am curious of what others are doing. I am at about 160 trying to get to 145 to 150. Thanks!

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    this is how someone explained it to me:
    Zigzagging is a method of eating that prevents your body from going into homeostasis. Your body is constantly trying to reach this state of balance, which means if you constantly eat 1200 or 1400 calories a day, your body will adapt to living on this low calorie intake and your metabolism will DECREASE to adjust to receiving low levels of food (fuel). However, if you ingest different amounts and kinds of calories every day, your body will be "confused" and your metabolism will not slow down. On the contrary, for a lot of people whose bodies are used to eating so few calories, their metabolism will speed back up. You can utilize the calories needed calculator on freedieting.com to figure out how many calories you should strive to eat.
    Here is the link that I used to calculate the amounts each day: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Sana1116
    Sana1116 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey, zigzagging calories basically means eating a different number of calories each day during the week. for example. if i was zigzaggin calories , i'd eat 1400 cals on monday, 1600 on tuesday...1200 on wednesday...and so on and so forth. its a good way to trick ur body and get it confused so that it doesnt get used to the same routine and the same number of calories consumed daily. it is also very helping for gettin over a plateu! i hope this helps. :-)
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    The 2 responses you have already are bang on. I use the tool mentioned in the first response - love it and do it regularly:D It got me off a 1 month plateau!
  • vwluvbug06
    vwluvbug06 Posts: 2
    Options
    does this mean actually calories consumed or net calories with your exercise deduction? because on the days i workout hardest i eat more. does this count in zig zagging?
  • h2onut
    Options
    No - it's about your net calories... For instance - last week for me looked like this:
    Monday 1344
    Tuesday 1344
    Wednesday 1613
    Thursday 1344
    Friday 1344
    Saturday 1479
    Sunday 1344

I ate back any excercise calories burned and... I have managed to lose 5 lbs in just over 1 week:D
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    So those calories you listed were your calories you planned on eating, then you exercised and ate your exercise calories as well? And you lost 5 lbs?
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    And what does "bump" mean....sorry, a newbie here!! :)
  • h2onut
    Options
    Those were the calories I needed to eat BEFORE any exercise - if/when I exercise, I eat all the calories I burn on top of the base calories I listed:D
    Bump means someone is interested in the topic so the 'bump' it so that they can find it easier on their profile page...
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I think if you use the tool mentioned, then it is total calories eaten, not net...I say that only because it asks you for your exercise regime when you figure your calories....I put that I exercise 5 days a week....so I don't deduct for workout calories...Just started this, so I am just going by what I have heard.

Good Luck!!!
  • h2onut
    Options
    Oops, that's right - I forgot it asked for your exercise level - I only entered sedentary activity as I have a desk job and don't move around much so... If I do exercise, I do eat those calories back... And yes, 5lbs following that in just over 1 week but... I'd been on a plateau for an entire month only eating 1200 calories. Everone is different and you need to find what works for you. Worth a try if you haven't tried it before!
  • jljennbunny
    jljennbunny Posts: 21
    Options
    Very interesting.....I have never heard of zigzagging before.
    ***I did not know what bump meant either!
  • h2onut
    Options
    hehe - I lurked on the message boards and have asked the same questions at one point or another;) Everyone is so great here!
  • YoAdrian2011
    Options
    So, do you always eat at or below your daily number of calories too? Or are you supposed to eat above it sometimes to be "zig-zagging?"
  • h2onut
    Options
    I've always eaten 1200 cal's minimum. I almost always eat back my exercise calories but if not I try to eat back half at least.
    I've just started the zig zag thing 1.5 weeks ago - loving it so far and seems to have gotten me off the plateau. We'll see about how long I do that for or whether I go back to 1200 cals... haven't decided yet.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For those of you with experience doing this, do you still try to keep your weekly net calories below goal?
  • jljennbunny
    jljennbunny Posts: 21
    Options
    How many calories do you need to zigzag with (go up and down)?
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    this is how someone explained it to me:
    Zigzagging is a method of eating that prevents your body from going into homeostasis. Your body is constantly trying to reach this state of balance, which means if you constantly eat 1200 or 1400 calories a day, your body will adapt to living on this low calorie intake and your metabolism will DECREASE to adjust to receiving low levels of food (fuel). However, if you ingest different amounts and kinds of calories every day, your body will be "confused" and your metabolism will not slow down. On the contrary, for a lot of people whose bodies are used to eating so few calories, their metabolism will speed back up. You can utilize the calories needed calculator on freedieting.com to figure out how many calories you should strive to eat.
    Here is the link that I used to calculate the amounts each day: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Thank you! best explanation yet, I understand it now lol
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me what zig zagging calories is? I have an idea...I usually eat around 1400 calories a day and am losing weight. I workout about 6 days a week, burning appox 350 to 450 calories a workout. I am curious of what others are doing. I am at about 160 trying to get to 145 to 150. Thanks!

Check out this website, it will personally tell you what you need to do.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Check out this website, it will personally tell you what you need to do.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    I dont like this site it is telling me to eat 2000-2500 calories. I am seeing my weight slowly go up. I am going to see if I can find a different site.