What are you losing weight for?

Options

Replies

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60. I want to live longer than my dad did (85). I want to improve my health. Nearly unaimous expert opinion says losing weight will ease achy arthritic and tired legs and improve walking. I am determined to walk comfortably again.
  • jjmorse1985
    jjmorse1985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60. I want to live longer than my dad did (85). I want to improve my health. Nearly unaimous expert opinion says losing weight will ease achy arthritic and tired legs and improve walking. I am determined to walk comfortably again.

And you can just continue and believe in yourself! God bless
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Because I have a three year old daughter that I want to be there for her wedding and to hold her children. Because my mother and her mother have Alzheimer's and I would do anything to help reduce the risk of putting my daughter and family through the pain of that disease. Because diabetes runs strongly through my family and that's not what I want for my future. And yes, it would be nice to be hot when I turn 40 in two years.

Aww I'm sorry and may God bless you and your family!

Thanks. It's a pisser of a disease. But I think we are all making peace with it and Mom is at the stage that she doesn't know any thing is wrong. Which is good for her.

I will say a prayer for you and your family. You just hold in there
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I started to get thinner, I stayed to get stronger! Both are for myself :wink:
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember my life has been on hold because of my weight. That's what happens when you let your weight get over 600lbs. I've got over half the weight off my doctor wants me to lose now, so it's getting better and I'm starting to get out more, but a lot of the best stuff in life like travel, dating and intimacy still feel far away.

So I'll just keep plugging away at the gym and in the kitchen.
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    trajanAz wrote: »
    For as long as I can remember my life has been on hold because of my weight. That's what happens when you let your weight get over 600lbs. I've got over half the weight off my doctor wants me to lose now, so it's getting better and I'm starting to get out more, but a lot of the best stuff in life like travel, dating and intimacy still feel far away.

So I'll just keep plugging away at the gym and in the kitchen.

It's ok that's what happens to alot of people food becomes our friend or we try to drown our sorrows by eating but you did the right thing by joining my fitness pal and good luck!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I started to get thinner, I stayed to get stronger! Both are for myself :wink:

Great stay positive!
  • Jimsterintexas
    Jimsterintexas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your rapid weight loss. My motivation was to improve my health, appearance, and I wanted to feel better.
  • weightBgonegone
    weightBgonegone Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight because I've been overweight for the majority of my life and I'm sick of being the "larger" girl. I also want to feel comfortable in what I wear, and to possibly buy my first bikini once I hit my goal weight!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    Congrats on your rapid weight loss. My motivation was to improve my health, appearance, and I wanted to feel better.

Thanks. I have always had problems with my digestive system, I increased my fiber, vitamins, etc then I realized it was the food I was eating. I'm pretty sure the first few pounds were water weight but, I wish you well and thanks again!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    I'm losing weight because I've been overweight for the majority of my life and I'm sick of being the "larger" girl. I also want to feel comfortable in what I wear, and to possibly buy my first bikini once I hit my goal weight!

And make sure you show it off at the beach, because I know you will look great, congratulations on starting a healthier journey!
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight because I was always a healthy child and adult. Unfortunate life events in my late 20's led me to eat and drink way too much. Eventually I gained over 50 lbs. I want my healthy life back. I want to look at myself see me again! Currently, I'm half way there... only around 25 lbs. to go!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options

And make sure you show it off at the beach, because I know you will look great, congratulations on starting a healthier journey!
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight because I was always a healthy child and adult. Unfortunate life events in my late 20's led me to eat and drink way too much. Eventually I gained over 50 lbs. I want my healthy life back. I want to look at myself see me again! Currently, I'm half way there... only around 25 lbs. to go!

Really, I'm so jealous good for you. See what hard work and determination does. You will be there in no time ;)
  • deka_lewis
    deka_lewis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have maintain my weight loss for 2 years now. I have lost a total of 53lbs. I went from a size 16/18 to now I'm a 4. I was diabetic and I no longer wanted to be on meds. I have 5yr old twins and I just knew it was time to something if I wanted to see them grow up. I did it the healthy way (no surgeries or diets). I learned how to eat/exercise better.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i want to become a nutritionist, so i'm losing weight because let's be real, who would take a fat nutritionist seriously?
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    deka_lewis wrote: »
    I have maintain my weight loss for 2 years now. I have lost a total of 53lbs. I went from a size 16/18 to now I'm a 4. I was diabetic and I no longer wanted to be on meds. I have 5yr old twins and I just knew it was time to something if I wanted to see them grow up. I did it the healthy way (no surgeries or diets). I learned how to eat/exercise better.

And you look great in your picture. I need to get to the gym like you lol Keep up the good work!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    i want to become a nutritionist, so i'm losing weight because let's be real, who would take a fat nutritionist seriously?

The craziest thing is when my patients come in asking what can they do to lose weight they look at me and say, "you need to take your own advice", but it's not about looks it's about the knowledge you give them, but I know you will do great! Good luck
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I was always over 200 lb and then for my entire 20s, close to 300 lb. In my early 30s I hit 300 lb and for the first time couldn't always keep up the pace and started feeling bogged down by my weight and concerned about health problems that could occur because of it. I honestly didn't mind that much being plus sized and it was just part of my self-image but not in a bad way, as weird as that may sound!! But I was concerned about future probs, so I started exercising more and eating a bit better and it took years to lose 45 lb but by then I was feeling really good. Then I met my husband who was more into fitness/outdoors and healthy eating, but I wasn't losing weight even with the new active habits so that ticked me off. I knew a girl who lost over 100 lb on this website counting calories and she wasn't some weirdo in my eyes like the people I knew who were very restrictive with eating and crazy-motivated, so I decided I would give it a try. I've now lost almost 100 lb more (2 yrs on this site losing very slow but steady) and am in the 160s for the first time since I was in middle school. I'm at the top of the healthy weight range for my height. I plan to stay around here, maybe lose another 10-15 lb, and mainly to be healthy and feel good about myself. It is kind of weird wearing smaller sizes than I can ever remember, but I like it.
  • jmerthen82
    jmerthen82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 years old, diabetes and heart disease runs in my family....I would like to try to avoid both if possible!!! Plus I have always Wanted my body to reflect my "inside"; I feel like my weight holds me back from being the real me...if that makes any sense. I want to feel better about looking myself in the mirror. I want to go on vacation and feel great no matter what I wear!!! I'm so tired of looking at clothes even my grandmother wouldn't wear!!!
  • jjmorse1985
    Options
    jmerthen82 wrote: »
    I'm 33 years old, diabetes and heart disease runs in my family....I would like to try to avoid both if possible!!! Plus I have always Wanted my body to reflect my "inside"; I feel like my weight holds me back from being the real me...if that makes any sense. I want to feel better about looking myself in the mirror. I want to go on vacation and feel great no matter what I wear!!! I'm so tired of looking at clothes even my grandmother wouldn't wear!!!

I understand I felt bad when my mom said is that a 3x your wearing. When are you going on vacation? Have you started your journey yet ?