Weighing corn on the cob...

Options
jnv7594
jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
Question about getting a weight for corn on the cob. Got some at Trader Joe's yesterday. It says one serving is 90g or 1 cob. Now, when I weigh the corn, cob and all, one cob weighs about 180 grams. So is that 90g weight per serving suppose to include the cob or is that just for the corn? I really don't want to cut the corn off and measure it as I like eating it on the cob. But if the 90g does include the cob, then one of these cobs is a double serving by itself. Just trying to get some clarity here. :)

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh it before and after I eat the corn off and subtract what the weight of the cob was.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ugh what a hassle. And it gets stuck in your teeth while you're gnawing on it. Not for me.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    Options
    Corn on the cob is what summer taste like! Freaking Delicious!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I cut it off and weigh it.
    but I hate eating it off the cob and have since I had braces.

I'd weigh it before dating and again after eating. log the difference.
    Since you aren't eating the cob, you aren't taking it into account
  • jnv7594
    Options
    I usually weigh it before and after I eat the corn off and subtract what the weight of the cob was.

Okay, good idea. I just didn't know if the cob was included in the 90g per serving weight or if the 90g was just the corn. It would make sense that it wouldn't be since you don't eat it, but who knows, lol. I love corn on the cob, too. Plan on eating a ton of it this summer, so I thought I'd better figure this out now. :)

• jnv7594
    Options

Exactly, and I'm from Nebraska, too....the Cornhusker state, lol. Can't live here and not eat the corn. ;) Can't wait until the Farmer's Market starts up here.

• ForeverSunshine09
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

Okay, good idea. I just didn't know if the cob was included in the 90g per serving weight or if the 90g was just the corn. It would make sense that it wouldn't be since you don't eat it, but who knows, lol. I love corn on the cob, too. Plan on eating a ton of it this summer, so I thought I'd better figure this out now. :)
    I asked the same question a few weeks ago to my friends list and that was the general consensus.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I weigh before and after. Usually a whole corn on the cob ends up being somewhere between 100-150calories
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

Exactly, and I'm from Nebraska, too....the Cornhusker state, lol. Can't live here and not eat the corn. ;) Can't wait until the Farmer's Market starts up here.

True story, my fellow Nebraska dweller :)