Any low FODMAP followers out there? New but learning...

First time to post. Started using app about a week ago to track any pain associated with a particular food. Trying out the Low FODMAP diet to get to the source of my symptoms. Any suggestions or ideas? It's a challenging change in buying and eating anything! Thanks!

Replies

• sandykirby827
    sandykirby827 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been following it for several months now. I'd recommend following Kate Scarlata's blog.
  • bauerschmidttara
    bauerschmidttara Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there, I am brand new to this site and as well I follow the fodmap diet.
    First time to post. Started using app about a week ago to track any pain associated with a particular food. Trying out the Low FODMAP diet to get to the source of my symptoms. Any suggestions or ideas? It's a challenging change in buying and eating anything! Thanks!

• 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    I'm starting it today, please add me as a friend :)
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm back on this site after a long break - have just started following a low FODMAP diet again with guidance from a nutritionist. I did a low FODMAP diet a few years back when I first got diagnosed with IBS, it worked really well.

I think it's good to check-in with this type of diet every few years as our bodies change and the foods we could once eat might not agree with us anymore.

This week I'm giving my body a bit of a break and drinking meal replacement shakes twice a day, along with two snacks and a normal meal. I know some people are against meal replacements but I find using them for a week or so every few months gives my digestive system a chance to have a rest and repair itself. I never replace a whole meal as well, I'll usually have a serving of fruit or vegetables with the shake, just so I'm not missing out on any nutrients.

IBS (and other food related illnesses) are a nightmare, it takes years to find what works for you. I'd highly recommend following a FODMAP diet, but under the guidance of a nutritionist, dietitian or your GP.

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • 89Madeline
    edited May 2015
    I was just wondering if any of you know this:

I started low-fodmap six days ago. I can't follow the diet with a dietician, I now live in Serbia and can't figure out if any dietician here even knows about it. Thinking of trying online Skype meetings or something with a dutch/US/UK dietician though. Anyways:

This morning I woke up, and finally my belly was less bloated, almost not bloated at all, compared to the rest of last week when I had such a bad flare up. So I was happy and made my regular breakfast with banana, raspberries, almond milk and chia seeds. However, I ran out of almond milk so replace dit with alpro hazelnut milk (which should be low FODMAP?) as well as quinoa porridge.

30 minutes later bloating, sharp pains in my lower left abdomen. This didn't happen the times when I had the breakfast like I first mentioned... Quinoa is also low-fodmap, right? Anyone any idea what it is I'm responding too?

I read in the fodmap app that hazelnuts do have fodmaps, but a small portion should be ok. Since alpro milk only has 2.5% hazelnut in it, would I be that sensitive to it? Or maybe I can't handle 'raw' quinoa, because I didn't cook the porridge, I just put in the blender (like I do with oatmeal porridge)

Would love to hear your thoughts :)
  • Nakeshia88
    I was just wondering if any of you know this:

I started low-fodmap six days ago. I can't follow the diet with a dietician, I now live in Serbia and can't figure out if any dietician here even knows about it. Thinking of trying online Skype meetings or something with a dutch/US/UK dietician though. Anyways:

This morning I woke up, and finally my belly was less bloated, almost not bloated at all, compared to the rest of last week when I had such a bad flare up. So I was happy and made my regular breakfast with banana, raspberries, almond milk and chia seeds. However, I ran out of almond milk so replace dit with alpro hazelnut milk (which should be low FODMAP?) as well as quinoa porridge.

30 minutes later bloating, sharp pains in my lower left abdomen. This didn't happen the times when I had the breakfast like I first mentioned... Quinoa is also low-fodmap, right? Anyone any idea what it is I'm responding too?

I read in the fodmap app that hazelnuts do have fodmaps, but a small portion should be ok. Since alpro milk only has 2.5% hazelnut in it, would I be that sensitive to it? Or maybe I can't handle 'raw' quinoa, because I didn't cook the porridge, I just put in the blender (like I do with oatmeal porridge)

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

I'm not a dietitian but I would imagine that cooking quinoa would make it a whole lot easier to digest than if you ate it raw... Also, I see that the second ingredient in the hazelnut milk is sugar. This is a problem with many nut milks and can only be avoided by buying unsweetened varieties, or making your own. I know sugar is on the low FODMAP list, but personally I find too much of it causes many of my issues.

Other factors that can trigger my IBS are eating the same thing too often (i.e., eating the same breakfast for 7 days straight), or eating too quickly. Our bodies need variety, which can be hard for IBS sufferers, but I find it helps to have at least 3 'go-to' breakfasts that you can alternate between.

Maybe you've just given your body too much of one thing. Try switching things up a bit and see if that helps.

All the best :-)
  • 89Madeline
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    I'm not a dietitian but I would imagine that cooking quinoa would make it a whole lot easier to digest than if you ate it raw... Also, I see that the second ingredient in the hazelnut milk is sugar. This is a problem with many nut milks and can only be avoided by buying unsweetened varieties, or making your own. I know sugar is on the low FODMAP list, but personally I find too much of it causes many of my issues.

Other factors that can trigger my IBS are eating the same thing too often (i.e., eating the same breakfast for 7 days straight), or eating too quickly. Our bodies need variety, which can be hard for IBS sufferers, but I find it helps to have at least 3 'go-to' breakfasts that you can alternate between.

Maybe you've just given your body too much of one thing. Try switching things up a bit and see if that helps.

All the best :-)

Thanks for the response :)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the quinoa. Googled a bit, and heard it might also be cross contaminated with gluten, or that it's the layer of saponin around it (which you would have washed out otherwise). I drank it again, with the hazelnut milk (no quinoa) and no problems this time around so I think it was that.

For the sugar in the milk, I know, so annoyed :( But I can't find the unsweetened versions here anywhere. I always bought unsweetened almond milk but they don't stock it, or rarely (I'm in Serbia at the moment). I really miss it from when living in holland. I can get unsweetened soy milk but I'm not sure if I can handle soy. Might try it again sometime.

Good to know about your issues with sugar, I'll keep it in mind.

Ps. did you also find when going on low-fodmap, that it's difficult to get enough carbs in? I'm now logging my breakfast and lunch food, already hit my protein goal but many carbs left. Will have to make some gluten free pasta tonight I guess, or have a slice of my own homemade gluten free bread :)
  • Nakeshia88
    Ps. did you also find when going on low-fodmap, that it's difficult to get enough carbs in? I'm now logging my breakfast and lunch food, already hit my protein goal but many carbs left. Will have to make some gluten free pasta tonight I guess, or have a slice of my own homemade gluten free bread :)

I'm always a little over my carbs, and a little under protein, something I've struggled with for a while :-/ I'm still eating some non gluten free bread (like 1 slice or a small bun every now and then) so that's probably why I get enough carbs. Can't go wrong with a brown rice or potatoes either :-)

• 89Madeline
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »

I'm always a little over my carbs, and a little under protein, something I've struggled with for a while :-/ I'm still eating some non gluten free bread (like 1 slice or a small bun every now and then) so that's probably why I get enough carbs. Can't go wrong with a brown rice or potatoes either :-)

Yes, I realize I should get in to rice. Actually ate rice yesterday. I just prefer pasta and wraps. I want to make my own corn tortillas, see how that goes :)
  • CDMSlayer
    CDMSlayer Posts: 8 Member
    Hi I'm second week on elimination. All the fruit and veg I normally eat has been halved! Know how you feel a little!
  • 89Madeline
    CDMSlayer wrote: »
    Hi I'm second week on elimination. All the fruit and veg I normally eat has been halved! Know how you feel a little!

And how are you feeling? I'm much better, this is my 2nd week also. Much less/no bloating, no discomfort. I can still 'feel' my stomach sometimes but it is nowhere near as uncomfortable as it used to be. Also much more regular bowel movement!