Weight loss & pregnancy?

Options
No i am not pregnant lol. But i have suffered from infertility since 2007 now hard to believe since i have a 6 year old and a 4 year old who was conceived using a condom lol but yeah... so i started out at 401 lbs and my first priorities are my weight loss but i just got off the depo shot after 5 months and i have lost 34 lbs. I also suffer from hypothyroidism. Is weight loss linked to increased fertility at all should i be worrying and using a backup? Because before i didn't have to and never got pregnant. Yeah my weightloss takes top on my list and my 6 yr old and 4 yr old is enough lol

Anyone else noticed increased fertility or pregnancy after weightloss?

Replies

• Bub3les0
    Bub3les0 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but for myself I cannot seem to sustain a pregnancy if I am over 200lbs. Now that is just my body, but I know over 200 I can go for years with no protection, get under that magic number and twice now whamo, pregnant in a month.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    losing weight will definitely make you more fertile. you might want to get on the pill or something if you aren't looking for anymore little ones ;)
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had a girlfriend whose husband had had a vasectomy who got pregnant after she and he had both done an 8 week raw diet thing. I was cracking up because I asked her how, How, HOW did that happen? I thought it had to be because of the weight loss, or something they were eating ... but no ... she said he couldn't keep his hands off of her, lol. So ... you know ... just watch out for that.

:)
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thats a negative with me anyway....I weighed 200 pounds and got pregnant after the first round of fertility meds and now I'm starting at 153 and I'm on my third round of infertility meds...grrr

Laura
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been pregnant twice, one 18 month old and the other was a miscarraige. Both times I got pregnant was when I started working out again.. So I would think that you are more fertile when you lose weight.
  • sunnyd1975
    sunnyd1975 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've never suffered from infertility, but my pregnancies have definitely been linked to weight loss. The first time I got pregnant I had gone off the pill for Atkins, and assumed that I would need help getting pregnant. I was about 30 lbs down when I got pregnant the first time :) Family was teasing me that I should be careful (since I was losing weight) and (surprise!) I was pregnant with my 3rd in 3 years.

I'm not sure if it's a hormone thing directly, or if losing weight makes you feel more attractive, increasing the type of behavior that leads to pregnancy, if you catch my drift ;)

I would ask your doc about a birth control you can go on that won't interfere with your weight loss.
  • Ravens4197
    Ravens4197 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have heard a lot of ladies say as soon as they started to lose wight they got prego in no time, i know i was just at the ob this last week and he told me the same thing. He said that if i wanted to again i needed to lose the wight first so i feel that there is something linking weight and your easy to get preggo so i would make sure that you are using a back up method!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl who was very overweight, her body thought it was in menopause and she was only in her 20's. When her doc told her her weight had stopped her periods and she needed to loose weight, she did. And boy did she! She lost over 100 pounds! Unfourtnatly she was not accustomed to using birth control of any sort and she and her husband ended up with an unplaned pregnacy. So if you don't want your eggo preggo, def use some method of birth control.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Both my kids were conceived when i started loosing weight...lol.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Wow i never knew this!! Crazy!! I knew i heard it before but didn't know whether it was true or not. I am at my lowest weight i have been since 2006/2007 after giving birth to my now 4 year old. Both of my pregnancies i was over 350 lbs. But i have been over 380 for the longest time then hit 400. I was thinking even if it was true 34 lbs wouldn't be enough for how large i am to make a huge difference in fertility.. but what do i know right?
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I've never suffered from infertility but I definitely think weight loos and pregnancy are related. I was on a very high dose of the pill for 4 years and was told by my doctor that it would take at least 6 months for the hormones to clear from my system. But after losing 53 pounds, I got pregnant during my second month off the pill. If you don't want anymore kids, I'd recommend using some from of birth control.