Is this a lost battle?

Options
After all the effort I got stuck after 18 days.

I have been losing and getting the same pounds up and down, and despite the effort put in login food and attending exercise classes daily ..... i got stuck.

The scale is not moving.
It is really bad to be the biggest fattest person in the exercise class, and find the middle section right "in the way" of every movement .....

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How long have you been "stuck"?

edit: I just looked at your profile. Did you lose 6lbs in 18 days? That's like 2.3 lbs per week. That is absolutely amazing rate of loss. Your not going to lose weight everyday or even every week. Weight fluctuates for numerous reasons. It's very common for women to gain water weight during their TOM. High sodium intake can cause you to retain water (and either maintain or gain). Just keep going.

My weight chart for the past 4 weeks:
    2b3hpxkgt8md.jpg

For the past for the past 6 months:
    eeilvoduxr4u.jpg

Since I started trying to lose weight:
    6g3zlq853bvx.jpg
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? Maybe you are losing inches/centimeters and you are not even aware of it.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to stick with it.

Sounds like your losing weight at a good weight. How long has it been since you last lost some weight?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week.
    Be patient.
    If that class is not suitable for you, there are lots of other ways to exercise: walking, swimming, lifting, . . .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Scale Weight is not static because of water weight which fluctuates based on sodium, change in exercise and hormones ...you need to give it time ..judge weight loss over months not days

I use a programme which evens out fluctuations and gives a trend line ...this is my last 3 months ...the black dots are actual scale readings and demonstrate how the body weight naturally fluctuates

1awese43opqg.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    aventuramt wrote: »

I have been losing and getting the same pounds up and down, and despite the effort put in login food and attending exercise classes daily ..... i got stuck.

The scale is not moving.
    It is really bad to be the biggest fattest person in the exercise class, and find the middle section right "in the way" of every movement .....

You've only been at it 18 days ... you've got to stick with it for longer than that.

Keep your calories less than what you're burning every day for the next 18 days ... and the next 18 days after that ... and the next 18 days after that.

It takes time. And there are going to be ups and downs.

And yes, if that class doesn't suit you, do something else. There are lots of different activities you can choose from. :)

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

The scale is not moving.

It is only 18 days, losing a ton of weight would have been weird, be patient.
    If you are not losing at all, then maybe it is time to make sure you are not eating more than you think you are. A food scale is your best friend to figure this out, especially in the beginning.
    As for exercise, if you hate how you feel in a class, find something else. It does not have to be complicated, just plan a walk everyday and it is enough.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% mindset, 20% calories and math. If you're already feeling defeated after 18 days, then your mindset isn't in the right place and you need to start there.
  • aventuramt
    aventuramt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, before adding the exercise classes, I have Neen walking between 3 to 5 miles minimum daily and eating healthy for the last 5 months. As I was 5 -10 lb up and down for the last 2 years, I decided to take more serious track and accountability measures and keep a log of everything I do and have the professionals at the wellness center measure it.

I am vegetarian, I have been vegetarian all my life. I am the biggest person in my family in the last 6 or 7 years. ..... I am 106 lb overweight eating an average of 1200 1400 calories a day!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It takes more than 18 days. You say you're tracking, are you using a food scale?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

The scale is not moving.

Its not moving because you arent at deficit. Eating healthy is not the same as eating at deficit. You might think you are putting in a lot of effort, but unless you get the basics right such as logging and weighing accurately all your food, then this will prevent you from being effective. Id be very surprised at someone 100lb overweight, exercising on a regular basis an 1300 calories not losing something even for 18 days, even taking patience into account.

Its only a lost battle if you decide you want it to be lost and theres no reason why you cnat lose that weight if you control your deficit properly. Go and look at the success section for inspiration from people who didnt give in.
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Around the time of your period your weight would be off too.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It takes more than 18 days. You say you're tracking, are you using a food scale?

^This.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, before adding the exercise classes, I have Neen walking between 3 to 5 miles minimum daily and eating healthy for the last 5 months. As I was 5 -10 lb up and down for the last 2 years, I decided to take more serious track and accountability measures and keep a log of everything I do and have the professionals at the wellness center measure it.

You did the right thing. Just "eating healthy" and walking doesn't work for a lot of us. (Walking itself instead of exercise classes certainly could be enough; the issue is tracking and being accountable consistently.)

So you are doing great and have been successful so far. I know it's hard, but you just need to have patience and not expect an immediate change or a loss every day or even every week. Often when you have a big loss it's followed by a slow down. But time passes quickly, so keep with it and soon it will be a few months from now and you will be shocked by how much progress you've made.

• aventuramt
    aventuramt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do measure the food and drink i take. Even when i eat out. I always carry a set of measuring cups and spoons with me, so in case I have to eat out, (i usually pack my lunch and snacks), i know how much I eat.
    Eating vegetables, beans, fruits and nuts it is hard to get up 2000 cal.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do measure the food and drink i take. Even when i eat out. I always carry a set of measuring cups and spoons with me, so in case I have to eat out, (i usually pack my lunch and snacks), i know how much I eat.

Measure and weight in grams of foods are different. Way different.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Got your thyroid hormones checked lately?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

you are eating more than you think you are.

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Make your diary public so we can check it out. It's easy hitting 2k calories as a vegetarian/vegan, but you may not even require 2k. How much do you weigh? how tall are you? do you work out, or does all your exercise come from non-dedicated exercise?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    A little gentle correction -- it's very easy to get up to 2000 calories as a vegetarian, especially if you're regularly incorporating nuts into your meals. I've been a vegetarian since I was 11, and I've been a chubby vegetarian as well as a slender vegetarian, and a lot of places in between. In fact, I know a lot of overweight vegetarians, because it's easy to build a vegetarian diet that is high-calorie if you're not careful (for instance, lots of commonly-recommended sources of vegetarian protein, like nuts and dairy, can also be high-fat and high-calorie).

I'm currently ovo/lacto veg and am eating 2000 calories per day. Feel free to take a peek at my diary if you'd like.