Boredom Eating

Options
Has anybody had good luck with overcoming boredom eating? I so far have not! The tips I've read seem easier said than done. Any success stories?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When it hits, get up and move.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Being a stay at home mom, I've had to learn to deal with it. Protein and fiber fill me up and have a reasonable daily calorie limit and just stay in it ;)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why are you bored? Do you not know how to get up and exercise?
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Start a new hobby that keeps your hands busy, puzzle books and drink water first. Get rid of the unhealthy foods and only keep healthy foods in the house!
  • theanxiousfox
    theanxiousfox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of hot tea and drink that so I'm still consuming something to help the craving. I also started keeping a chart on the fridge and keep track of the days I overeat/bored eat/binge, it helps keep me on track to visually see and if I go a certain amount of days without overeating I treat myself with something non food related.

And I agree with getting up and moving. Go for a walk, find an activity to do, exercise, or if it's late at night just go to bed.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It helps me to come on here and read posts and reply to some.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get bored and want to snack during the day at work. No, I cannot just get up and leave my desk to go exercise or entertain myself. I just make sure I only keep healthy snacks around and I usually pre-log them all so I know what I can and can't eat throughout the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I get out and ride my bicycle. Not only does it get rid of boredom, it is harder to eat while riding.
  • titania_one
    titania_one Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as where I work is very slow and somewhat dull. There is some truth to the get up and move thing, i go for lots of walks, it does keep me from eating. :)
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It helps me to come on here and read posts and reply to some.

This! Visiting these boards and reading about my MFP friends and their daily exercise/success really keeps me distracted when I get bored.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    To overcome boredom ... do something.

When I was growing up, I learned very quickly to entertain myself. If I dared to say the words, "I'm bored" to my mother, I'd be out washing windows or something. She would find me something to do ... and chances are it wouldn't be at all what I had in mind.

So I learned to become busy all the time.

Tips
    -- Exercise. Here are a whole list of sports: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports ... start working your way through them.

-- Get a hobby. Here are a whole list of hobbies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies ... start working your way through them.

-- Take classes. Most communities have community courses (check with your local library or your town website if you're not sure). Colleges and universities also have community courses. Or maybe you might want to pursue a degree.

-- If you're at work, take on extra projects, see if your company will let you take courses during work time, put your hand up for various committees ... become involved.

And of course, simply don't have food available at a time when you might become bored. :) Have tea or chewing gum or something else around instead.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I feel like eating because I'm bored I try to chew gum first. A lot of times it's enough to shut up my stomach until it's actually time to eat.
  • ladykate26
    ladykate26 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I go for a bath. My boredom eat time is every evening!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    getting up and moving is a good suggestion.
    I have to keep my hands busy. especially if all I am doing is watching tv to relax. I have to do something else too like be on the computer or crochet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    getting up and moving is a good suggestion.
    I have to keep my hands busy. especially if all I am doing is watching tv to relax. I have to do something else too like be on the computer or crochet.

Yeah, me too ... I rarely just sit and watch TV. I just can't do that. I'm usually dashing about doing housework during the commericals, or working on a hobby or two or three during the show.

• Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Snacking onto something when you're not hungry doesn't necessarily have to ruin your diet. How about instead of snacking onto that ice cream you snack on some white radishes with a bit of salsa? Just find some low-cal options and start from there :smile: .
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to be VERY busy to not think about food. Saying go exercise isn't the most helpful thing, especially when your tied to the work desk with a boring report to write or you are winding down for the night.

I find not keeping snacks around at all helps and if I do want a snack I have to 'work' for it - eg go and get it from the shop or make it at home. Usually by the time the snack is within reach I don't want it anymore.

Other things I can suggest are drinking lots of water, and allocating snack calories and logging before eating. I personally have moved into no snack zone. For me they are empty calories - snacking doesn't fill me up I just want more. Try a few things and see what works for you.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Work kills me sometimes. I can get up from my desk...but the only place I can go is the kitchen! Night is the worst though. I exercise when I get home, work on my blog and my business, then I'm too tired to do anything, TV comes on and I'm all of a sudden wanting to eat. It isn't as easy as "just go exercise" when you've been up and at it for 10 hours and already put in a good workout! Maybe I should try knitting more when I'm watching TV.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sugarless gum is one thing that can help with this, another option is 'fiddle toys' for passive brain stimulation while you work on something boring and must remain at your desk (a stress ball or the 'tangle relax therapy' are good options).
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    what I do is measure all my snacks - and log them as soon as they go in my face, that way I see all these 'boredom snacks' piling up in my food diary & I am like, no.....