leaving mfp

Options
on monday (5/16) i left mfp. my plan was to not weigh in for two weeks and just try to eat healthy and in moderate portions w/o using mfp. i failed miserably. ive eaten a lot more than i usually do and havent measured anything. im thinking that i needed these few days to help me remember why i need mfp and also to give my diet-focused mind a little break. but im coming back tomorrow. because i dont want to gain all that weight back : )

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you do want to leave why not get a journal. You probably learned a lot here that you can keep practicing when not here. If you want to experiment with that again still write down your calories :) and measure and weigh your food. The skills and knowledge gained here are for a lifetime. I don't ever actually want to leave but I do want the confidence that if my internet is down or I am out of town for a few days I can keep up the good fight !
    Mary
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This site really is invaluable! Welcome back! :)
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    on monday (5/16) i left mfp. my plan was to not weigh in for two weeks and just try to eat healthy and in moderate portions w/o using mfp. i failed miserably. ive eaten a lot more than i usually do and havent measured anything. im thinking that i needed these few days to help me remember why i need mfp and also to give my diet-focused mind a little break. but im coming back tomorrow. because i dont want to gain all that weight back : )

I went through the same thing in January. I got sick and then decided I was going to take a hiatus from MFP. Unfortunately my hiatus lasted 2 months and I undid almost every pound I had lost. It took me another 1.5 to 2 months to get my motivation back and now I am back better than ever. Hang in there!!!
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    This site really is invaluable! Welcome back! :)

thanks!

im kind of surprised at how relieved i am to be back! now i dont have an excuse to give in to all that yucky food.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It will take time to get used to and each day is a different day. DONT beat yourself up over a gain or eating wrong a day or two....We all do it. just learn from your mistakes and change it as you need to. ((( HUGS)) You can DO it!!
  • sunflowermom2
    Options
    I know I can't be without this site. So welcome back and keep fighting the good fight.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! The great thing about MFP is no matter how many times you quit, gain weight or lose weight, there will always be people here ready to support you.
  • SweetLe
    SweetLe Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think I could behave myself without this site.

Welcome back!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you do want to leave why not get a journal. /snip/

I second this - rather than feel like you're fighting an unknown enemy, get a small notebook and write down what you're feeling and thinking. Just jot it down; it's not an essay you'll need to turn in for a grade.

When you want to eat, or when you *do* eat and you go overboard, write it down. Don't beat yourself up, but just write it down. It can really *help* to see how your emotions keep you on the yo-yo string. Emotions aren't bad. They just are weak reasons for making decisions, and sometimes the first thing we think of when we feel something bad is to go to an experience or solution that has worked in the past. Food can be that - it feels good to eat, food tastes good, and there's a certain satisfaction in the process. It's just that food isn't a faithful friend & will betray you, so you will need (I hate the "needs" and "shoulds" but I gotta be honest here) to see how your emotions and choices are leading you to a dead end.

Food and eating ARE NOT BAD. Just not a solution to a problem.

If you're hungry, eat. But learn how to pace yourself and how to make better choices.

And stick around. Your achievements through this actually help us, too. Because it helps us look at our own lives and keep on the journey.

Good luck.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am kind of new to this site and am already addicted! I have learned a lot and might try out some of the new ideas out soon....if the scale doesn't start moving! LOL!! But everyone needs a break sometimes from being so OCD about food management....but I feel this is the only way to stay on track and to keep weight off. My highest weight was 268 and I have hovered between 150 to 160 for 3 yrs now......I do not want to gain my weight back, so I have to stay super OCD about it!