Can't get into the right mindset. Help!

Options
Kate_UK
Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
In the past I've used MFP to loose the lbs, and most importantly get fit and healthy too. Then life (lots of stress) got in the way and I ended up putting it all back on over a few years, then a bit more. weight loss has always been a mental thing for me, when I'm in the right mind set it's easy, I want to work out, and when I have I don't want to spoil all that effort by eating crap. I've really tried over the last few weeks, I'm fine for a couple of days, then for no apparent reason I'm back to stuffing my face. I exercise but the same sense of not wanting to 'spoil' that isn't there. Help! How do I get my PMA back???

Replies

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No one can do it for you. You have to find that motivation within yourself. I'd suggest you start logging everything. Even if you have a "bad" day make sure you log it all. You might find it helpful to gain an understanding of exactly what you're eating and use that data to inspire you to start making changes.
  • katniss_200
    katniss_200 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've come back after putting a lot back on - I eat when I am stressed too. I started just logging exercise and trying to log in every day, now I am trying to log absolutely everything I eat and completing my diary at the end of the day. I find it really motivating to see where I could be in 5 weeks.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We are all wired differently, so I can't tell you what's best for you, but I can tell you what I would do for myself.

I'd try to break the connection between food and exercise first of all, especially since it doesn't seem to work to your benefit anyway. This may sound like a strange advice as both nutrition and exercise are helpful for weight loss, but this connection is what made me fail the other time. Strict diet and exercise can prove to be a heavy burden for someone who just jumped into it and the willpower is not endless. There are also a lot of possible reasons you may want to put exercise on hold (days of the month, sickness, injuries, awful weather, guests or vacation etc). If your eating well depends on it, you are doomed.

This time I've started at the moment when exercise was physically impossible for me. The option just wasn't on the table. But I've started to watch what I eat knowing that this will give me results anyway. Now I've gotten a bit better and I'm adding exercise slowly as a bonus on the top of what I'm doing with my diet. But I know that if I can't exercise again for some reason, it may get a bit slower, but I'll still be on the way down, because not going over my calories is doable in most life situations. And exercise may be there or not.

As for stuffing your face, try to find the point where it goes wrong. Is it hunger or is it craving particular foods you can't refuse? If it's a matter of not feeling full, give what you eat another look. I'm on a 1200 cal diet and once I started eating more lean meat and vegetables, I was very amused to see myself struggling to get close to my goal. I felt I was stuffing myself with food and yet the counter remained below the goal quite a bit. I actually had to add treats to hit the goal. As a result I eat ice-cream and chocolate pretty much every day. And this is what you can do if the problem is not wanting to refuse foods you love. Eat them every day, few times a day even, just make sure the amounts are small. Make yourself full with more filling food and then eat what you love for the taste itself.

And yes, counting calories makes things so much easier. When you know the calorie cost of things, a lot of them start to seem not worth it. It goes from 'do I want that cookie? - hm.. cookie, sweet, yeah maybe sure' to 'do I want that cookie for 1/6 of my daily budget? - hell, NO. I love ice-cream more anyway and I can have some for half that price!'.

Also I would not count on things like proper mindset, motivation, willpower etc to guide you through this journey. They are kind of friends that betray. Sooner or later you'll find yourself in a situation when you need them the most and they are just not there. Voice of reason, knowledge, habits are much more trustworthy. Start at the wrong moment, face your challenges early when you have the least to lose. Find what works for you in whatever situation and then just keep doing it without a superhero suit. You don't need it. It's only hard when we make it hard.

Good luck! Even if you don't need luck to achieve results, having some never harms =)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, taentea especially - not tying food to exercise - that makes an awful lot of sense.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You have to simply take one day at a time and build on it. You cna cope with one day. When you get home you have to make a choice, stuff your face or do not wth the obvious results of either. If you stuff your face then you cnat want to lose weight badly enough and are happy to destri any deficit you might have created.

Dont forget the lare majority of your deficit is created by controlling your consumption at home.
    Commit and become clear in your purpose and goal. Eating moe thna your allowance will reduce your deficit or even send you into suprplus, which hampres the effeciveness of your diet.

If you cnat keep to this then examine whether your calories arent too low and deficit too aggressive.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you set your weekly weight loss goal to. If you deficit is too large it may cause you to binge if you feel deprived. Instead of setting a goal to lose 2 lbs/week, set it for one and you get to eat more food.
  • holliedusteeeze
    holliedusteeeze Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow this really is a brilliant place the support is excellent and feel free to add me i can always do with help and support
  • bking779
    bking779 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am in the same position. I started back in September (after seeing pictures of myself over last summer) and that was a real kick in the pants for me. I also have to be in the right mind set to be able to stick to my strict dieting and exercise and at that time I was extremely motivated and in the right mind set. From September 2014 - through end of February 2015 I lost 37.5 lbs. I was looking and feeling great! Though after that, I am not sure what happened... I just fell off track and am now trying to get back on. But like you, I am having a hard time getting my head back in the game.

Junk food / snacks are my problem. During the day, while I am at work, I do fine and don't really have the urge to want to snack but when I get home - its a whole different ball game. All I want to do is snack! And I find after dinner, is the worst time for me. I try to keep myself busy so I don't think about snacking but some days I am just tired and just want to relax and watch tv... with a snack.

I think starting today, I will take kyrannosaurus advice and just start logging everything, even if I have a bad day and maybe seeing it will put it in perspective for me and give me the kick in the pants I need.
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Remember to clean out your cupboards of ALL junk foods! Read all labels and decide if it should stay or go! My general rule is if I can't say the ingredients or know what it is-- it goes!!!!!
    Make a meal plan for a week or 2. You can do all your basic cooking for the week and measure everything out. Remember spices are your friend-- they change flavours!!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm like you in some ways and so I understand what you're going through. It's not easy and if it was everyone would be fit. Find one activity you love and do that each day. Go from there. Take it one day at a time. Buddy up with people to help keep you accountable.
  • evillottie
    evillottie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on your own personal reasons why you want to lose weight and be very specific. Try and visualise clearly what it would be like to reach your goals. Then keep those very specific reasons and visualisations in your mind next time you reach for the junk food or don't feel like exercising :-)