Still skeptical about starvation mode

Options
What if I ate so much celery and pickles (low calories) etc, and got so full that I couldn't eat another bite, but I didn't consume more than 1000 calories for the day. Would I still enter starvation mode?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    What if you ate a large sundae and it was only 900 calories, but nothing else. Would you then??? :huh:
  • ksafe
    ksafe Posts: 20
    Options
    That's a totally different situation, as I would be hungry again a few hours later. I'm talking about eating low calories from healthy foods through out the day, so much that I'd be full for the day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Calories = Fuel.

Your car won't run if you filled the tank with water instead of gasoline. Your body won't run, at least not for long and not well, if you don't give it calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. You still would. Not in one day, though - it takes a while. There is not a magic number or food combo or number of days. It's not worth experimenting with.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to wholesome food. I just posted this to helpanwser some of those questions: http://torquefitness.blogspot.com/2011/05/mistakes-i-knowyou-are-making.html
  • InsiderTraining
    Options
    Honestly it's not about the calories. You need a good mix of healthy fats, proteins, and carbs (from fruits and veg...NOT grains). If you are eating that sort of healthy food all day forget about the calories.
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    It is best to eat a variety of foods so that you get all of your nutritional needs met. Besides celery & pickles will get boring very quickly, you might be able to eat that way for a while, but for the rest of your life? Try to establish a healthy relationship with food and learn to eat in a way that you can stick with and not feel deprived.

Best wishes,

Debbie
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Regardless of whether you believe that starvation mode is true or not... are you at all concerned about your health?? You would be completely malnurished if you only ate celery and pickles.