Ingress as motivation to keep moving

Options
sandryc79
sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, so this is nothing new to many of you but I just discovered the app/game Ingress. Ingress uses Google maps/GPS to convert the world around you into a game. Historic items like statues and places like churches and post offices can become "portals" that you can capture for either the Enlightened "green team" or the Resistance "blue team".

If you are in an urban area where a lot of portals have been set up this is a huge motivator to walk. (This is not as fun a game if you are in a rural area as there may not be a lot of others playing or portals).

I should mention you have to be within 40 meters of a portal to interact with it. This has me planning walking paths to hit portals and exploring places I never saw before.

I am currently working on trying to get more portals set up at points of interest in the less populated area that I live in. In the city I work in, they are *everywhere*.

I have been having trouble getting physically active and am using a fit bit to track and increase my steps. Now that I am playing Ingress my physical activity has more than doubled. I have to make myself stop because my body is so sore. Great game for people who like to game, need to move and live in an area where it is accessible!

Have any of you played? What do you think about it as an exercise facilitation method?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds super cool. Thanks for letting me know this exists as a thing.

Was I the last to learn that google turned it's maps in to a giant Pac Man game?

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/death-of-google-maps-pac-man/
  • sandryc79
    Options
    Heh! I Actually just heard that this week too!
  • hydrocooled
    hydrocooled Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love Ingress. Definitely helps me look forward to moving. AP points are 1.5 times extra for the next few days so it's extra motivation. I bike around my neighborhood and then head over to the French quarter to park and play since there are so many portals there.
  • hydrocooled
    Options
    I love Ingress. Definitely helps me look forward to moving. AP points are 1.5 times extra for the next few days so it's extra motivation. I bike around my neighborhood and then head over to the French quarter to park and play since there are so many portals there.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the tip! I just downloaded this and can't wait to start playing. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! I'm going to check it out :D
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My sister has been Ingressing for years. I don't do it, but she LOVES getting out and destroying portals. Her activity level has definitely been impacted by this game.
  • hydrocooled
    Options
    The other cool thing about ingress is the community. It's a game that's really fun if you play with a group of walkers or bikers. Players are super helpful to newbies and it's a fun way to meet people. At least it's that way in the resistance.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I've played it before. It's fun and a great way to go explore areas you may never have been to. It does have it drawbacks. If you live out in the middle of nowhere, you may not have many portals to capture/destroy. The game developers do allow peeps to take pictures and submit them for use in the game. It takes a bit for them to get back to you either accepting or rejecting your submission, usually 1½ weeks.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been playing for years, since it was in beta. I am taking a break from it now because I was going too far on walks and runs and not taking rest days. It is that compelling. As long as you set a rule for yourself that you will not text and drive to play the game, then it is a huge motivator to exercise. I am in a rural area and found myself adding a mile or two to runs, just to work the game into my workout.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have never heard of this but I am gonna check it out! Sounds cool!
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, sounds great!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago when it first launched and you needed an invite to get into the game- I had 2 friends who played- my BF thought it was to big brotherie for him- but it is a giant game of capture the flag. I walked around with my friend once (only because I told her I would) i thought it was the biggest waste of time- EVER.

she told me she spent 8 hours in philly walking around one day- she bought extra batteries- and a special bag to go walking.

I mean- I'm glad she was outside walking- but- yeah.... the game just-ehhhh I had a sketchy feeling about it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love this app!!! I live in NYC and there are so many portals in my neighborhood. GO ENLIGHTENED!!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a blast!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My brother in law sent me an invite today... I'm Enlightened. Probably going to walk around to hit a couple portals later... there's a neutral one in my neighborhood apparently!
  • sandryc79
    Options
    Boo Enlightened! (Just kidding! I hope you have fun! )